5" travel full suss who makes one?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2004

5" travel full suss who makes one?

considering a 5" travel full sus bike and was wondering who makes one? i fancy supporting the smaller companies rather than buying an off the shelf from a mega global company,
    as far as i'm aware vicious and sycips offerings dont go as big as five inches of travel, so who does if any?
    i'd prefer steel or ti as a first choice but alu or cf considered.

Jul 2005
    Whyte E-5
    25.5Lbs
    still waiting to test one,reviews are great though.
    http://www.bikemagic.com/news/articl...N/4440/v/2/sp/
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by 856er; 01-06-2006 at 06:47 AM.

mtbr member

How small

Turner,Ventana, Moots, Litespeed, Titus, Ellsworth, Intense are all fairly small ops but if you want a smaller company Sysip offers a 5" Double Dribble and Curtlo will be offering his version with the same Ventana rear end.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Something along the lines of sycip fit the bill, i want aware sycip did a 5" as its not there website, i'll drop them a mail.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    it is on there site i just didnt read the text.

mtbr member

Dirt Rag

Check the website for a U.S. magazine called Dirt Rag; they did a test of a small Double Drible last year and gave the specs and some typically vague impressions but it had some nice pics. I think it's dirtrag.com but I'm not positive.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    cheers i'm just trying to track down a copy of the magazine now.

Yes, that's fonetic
    Quote Originally Posted by 856er
    Whyte E-5
    25.5Lbs
    still waiting to test one,reviews are great though.
    http://www.bikemagic.com/news/articl...N/4440/v/2/sp/
    Although I'm a devoted Marin rider, take reviews of Whyte/Marin bikes from that site with a grain of salt. It's a Marin sponsored site and you won't find anything but glowing reviews of their bikes there.

Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by whodaphuck
    Although I'm a devoted Marin rider, take reviews of Whyte/Marin bikes from that site with a grain of salt. It's a Marin sponsored site and you won't find anything but glowing reviews of their bikes there.
    Ahh but its a UK SITE so irespective of who they're associated with they will always slag off anything thats poor,here in the UK its the done thing its what we do,sometimes we go too far but if its good then its good,having said that thats the only E-5 test on the web so far but I've read other mag tests on it who praise it ever further than the bikemagic test,ultimately its down to the buyer in the end,hey I might not like it when I test it.

Ohh and Whyte ain't a Marin, Jon Whyte designs bikes for Marin,
    Whyte bikes are his own brand, bound to have similiar features but in reality very different beasts.
    Last edited by 856er; 01-07-2006 at 02:52 PM.

Shocks?, Pegs?... Lucky!

Ibis

As i found out during Interbike. Made in ROC baby, but they're 5.5" rear travel.
    How do you feel about Carbon. The bikes are supposed to be really sweet. I'm still in shock that they didn't put out a single steel frame.
    Got soul?

Interlectchewal

Ted Wojcik

Quote Originally Posted by bloater27
    considering a 5" travel full sus bike and was wondering who makes one? i fancy supporting the smaller companies rather than buying an off the shelf from a mega global company,
    as far as i'm aware vicious and sycips offerings dont go as big as five inches of travel, so who does if any?
    Ted Wojcik. The frames are much nicer than the website. His reputation in building custom steel frames is impeccable. I don't ride full suspension yet, but he's currently at the top of my short list if I decide to go custom on my next singlespeed.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Ventana El Saltamontes, 5inch rocker version, with custom geometry options available. Simply the best.

Schipperkes are cool.
    Maverick ML7.5
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    Better suited to non-aggressive 125# gals named Russell.
    I ride so slow, your Garmin will shut off.

Freshly Fujified

Inexpensive option

I'm riding a Leader LD 626 S. Can be had as inexpensively as $500 w/Cane Creek AD 10 or up to $660 with a Marz Rocco. here's a link:

http://downshiftcycles.netfirms.com/...75e3b809660551
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

No known cure

Curtlo...

Quote Originally Posted by bloater27
    I know it was already mentioned but were you aware that the price of the custom Curtlo w/Ventana rear is only $1475? I have a 26"/5" coil on order. Should be here at the end of the month
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

LOK

May 2005
    Versus Blitz.

Nothing but great reviews and the ride is Oh....so gooood,

Jun 2004
    hands down Transition Preston FR

https://www.transitionbikes.com

Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Vader
    I know it was already mentioned but were you aware that the price of the custom Curtlo w/Ventana rear is only $1475? I have a 26"/5" coil on order. Should be here at the end of the month
    how does it ride? I have a Curtlo hardtail and I was thinking about adding one of these to the stable.

No known cure
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan.cycle
    how does it ride? I have a Curtlo hardtail and I was thinking about adding one of these to the stable.
    I can't give an honest ride review just yet. The 5/6 inch rockers are designed for a 2.25 inch stroke shock and the DHX 5.0 is still on back order. The frame was shipped with a 2.0 RP3 which didn't hold air from the factory and right now there's 2.0 stroke romic with a 2.5 inch stroke spring of unknown weight so... From riding the fire roads behind the house, I can say that the BB/lower pivot is probably the stiffest of any full suspension frame I've owned this side of a DH frame(Rocky Mountain DH Race, Specialized FSR Elite, two Titus Quasi Motos, Santa Cruz Bullit, and some full suss XC bikes)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Vader; 06-08-2006 at 04:54 PM.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

mtbr member

Chumba Wumba

They have a Horst link 5" frame for around $1600 U.S. a very small builder from So. Cal.

Members who have read this thread: 0