2soulscycles: German 853 steel bikes.- Mtbr.com
    local trails rider

2soulscycles: German 853 steel bikes.

Now I spotted a small German frame producer:
    https://www.2soulscycles.com or https://www.2soulscycles.blogspot.com/ (all in German)

The only "mass" produced frame looks a bit like an Evil Sovereign but seems to be better for bigger forks. It is one size only but, now that I have been thinking about it, I think the seat tube angle would let it "grow" (or "shrink") for a relatively wide range of rider sizes. Looks like the angle would let me manage without a layback seat post too.

Geometry:

Head angle: 69,5 (with 518mm AC fork)
    Seat tube angle 69,5
    Seat tube (center to top): 420mm
    Top tube (horizontal): 609mm
    Chain stays: 415mm-429mm
    BB height: 330mm
    (Measured with Schwalbe Fat Albert 2.35, no sag)

For 2008 he seems to be going for a 450mm seat tube.

Apparently he will also do custom frames and the cost does not look too bad.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Nice! I will check them out

local trails rider
    I just exchanged e-mails with 2soulscycles and concluded that I will get myself one of their 2007 frames. There's still some left in "flat black" and "gloss white". I already have a couple of stealth bikes, so...

We figured out a comparison to my current HT (steep ST, seat set far to the back) and it looks like the 2soulscycles frame proportions will work well. The slightly slack ST angle makes sense to me.

(I will take my time getting this bike together. Better not expect ride reports and pics anytime soon)

local trails rider
    A little progress on mine: took the frame and fork to the LBS to be joined and had them install a BB. The stem is there just to hold things together until I have the bike on wheels and can check how the geometry works out. I know I need something shorter.

The shop happened to have a perfectly good Mavic 721 on a Marzocchi hub on the wall, and a Holzefeller bar in a different color... so why not. I might have to shorten the bar a bit.

The LX cranks are missing: the shop suggested they swap the LX chainrings for a Blackspire 34 tooth and a bashguard but they had to order the bash and it didn't arrive yet.

A rear wheel and brakes are the remaining major purchases. I am trying to decide between BB7 and 2008 XT hydros. For a rear wheel, another silver 721 on a Hope SS/Trials hub should be good. But which color? Black to match the front hub, silver to match the rims and spokes, gold to match the head badge, or something else? Decisions, decisions ...
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Rugged looking headbadge...look forward to hearing how you like it.

local trails rider
    need ... more ... money ... to ... buy ... more ... parts

mtbr member
    Can you snap a few more photos of that BB, chainstay junction. I'd like to see a bit more about how they did that area up. Looks kinda unique/good to my eyes from what I can garner from your photos.

local trails rider
    There's a pic of the other side on their website:
    http://www.2soulscycles.com/41.5en/detaills.htm

(They used to do it in red too but the color was not durable.)

If the weekend is rainy, I might get around to working on the bike a bit...

mtbr member
    thanks. Any idea of how big a tire you can fit into those chainstays? Sick rear dropouts too!

local trails rider
    Quote Originally Posted by MMcG
    Any idea of how big a tire you can fit into those chainstays? Sick rear dropouts too!
    The dropouts is one major reason I decided to get one of these, in addition to the geometry and nice steel.

I am sure 2.5" tires should fit. Probably not much more if you want a little clearance. I am planning to start with Mountain King 2.4, which is not all that big.

local trails rider
    Almost there....

I ran into a brake installation issue, so have not gone into fine tuning the riding position and setting fork sag yet. The riding position, so far, is a result of eyeballing the bike next to my older HT. It did not feel weird in the drive way.

mtbr member
    What are the seat tube/head tube angles on it perttime?

local trails rider
    2soulscycles gives the angles as:

Head angle: 69,5 (with 518mm AC fork)
    Seat tube angle 69,5

So it is slacker than my older HT, especially the seat tube. I need a set back post on the old one. Looking at the numbers, this frame seems to have a long top tube but, at least in my case, the positioning of the seat brings it nicely back to "Medium" measurements.

local trails rider
    First ride done. I like it.

This bike is much smoother over the rocks and roots than my short fork Banshee Scirocco. The 2004 Z1 FR, in front definitely makes a difference (and ETA seems to work very well for SS climbing). Not sure how much the frame material does to make the ride smoother.

Still fiddling with the details of the riding position: exact seat position, bar width. The eyeball method for initial setup got me pretty close. I'll give the wide bar a few more rides to see how I get used to it. Brakes need some more breaking in.

The Mountain King 2.4 tyres need a little more pressure than the Schwalbes I have on my older bikes now. Got a pinch flat in some gravel (why not among the real rocks... ) and my new pump did not work as expected. Had to ask the wife to pick me up about an hour's ride from home.

local trails rider
    Almost forgot about this thread...

A couple of rides after I got the bike together I hit my thigh on something going OTB and had to ride the FS bike most of the summer. The bumps of HT riding were too painful. I managed to get myself in HT riding shape for the big annual group ride event in town, and led one of the more relaxed groups for an 8 hour/70km+ trail ride.

(I dont remember who took this pic

(The bike worked great for my winter riding too. Snow does not really bother a bike like this

I just got the brake hoses shortened I think I'll ride more during the weekend.

local trails rider
    Uhh, I need to ride more. All the rocks and roots are out now and my thighs are complaining.
    Trailside pic from today:

local trails rider
    A couple of more "bike on trail" pics:

mtbr member
    Nice. perttime - could someone in the US easily order one of these?

local trails rider
    I don't see why not... but the shipping might make it costly.

Transition and Evil have, or will have, frames in similar spirit and "FM" has just showed a custom Curtlo that ended up in the same ballpark pricewise:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=532715

So, you could get one in US but I don't think it would make sense economically.

edit:
    I've seen pics of other European builders using those dropouts, so I guess they are also available.

local trails rider
    I think they put some sort of an anti-rust treatment in the frames. Cannot find the specifics right now.

They do custom frames too:

(pic stolen from their website)
    I bet they could do a bomb-proof rigid bike too

Here's one in a different color from the European Handmade Bicycle Expo
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/136894...7617916909119/

Members who have read this thread: 0