29.8 Pound EVO- Mtbr.com

Thread: 29.8 Pound EVO

Compulsive Bike Builder

29.8 Pound EVO

This is actually a continuation of an earlier thread, click the image below to come up to speed:

I tweaked a couple of parts since the pic, and got a good hanging digital fish scale. 29 lb 13 oz, or 29.8 lb. Here is the final build spec:

Frame: Chumba EVO Small/Medium, RP23 shock
    Fork: Rockshox Lyrik Solo Air
    Wheels: Hope Pro II hubs, Notubes Flow Rims, butted spokes, alloy nips
    Tires/tubes: Kenda Nevegal 2.1 DTC Kevlar rear, Kenda 2.6 Kinetics Stick-E Kevlar front, Notubes yellow tape system tubeless
    Brakes: Magura Marta (not SL) 180 mm front rotor, 160 mm rear rotor
    Drivetrain: M96X XTR Front derailleur, 11/34 cassette, and crankset. M97X XTR shifter and rear derailleur, Sram 990 chain
    Cockpit: Syntace F119 stem 120 mm, Control Tech carbon DH bar cut to about 680 mm, WTB moto grips
    Perch: Thomson Elite seatpost, Fizik Gobi Ti saddle
    Other: Chris King Headset, Crank Brothers Triple Ti Egg Beater Pedals, Lizard skin chaingstay protector

A mix of all mountain and XC class stuff, but all mountain where it counts - frame, fork, tires and wheels.
    Disclaimer: ComCycle USA

mtbr member
    Nice build. That would be a great climber. I cleaned a bunch of stuff this morning on my Evo I could never get up on my hardtail, and I'm more out of shape now! I love this bike.

Compulsive Bike Builder

Agreed

Quote Originally Posted by hardway
    Nice build. That would be a great climber. I cleaned a bunch of stuff this morning on my Evo I could never get up on my hardtail, and I'm more out of shape now! I love this bike.
    It is a great techno-climber for sure. It is even nice on fire road grinds with the longer stem. The slack angles, long wheelbase and high bb make for efficient, stable pedaling as long as you can get your weight a little forward and down in front. This Lyrik does not have the 2-step or U-Turn option to drop the front, and it still works well.

mtbr member
    It's hard for me to get around steep, uphill switchbacks and over large rocks/logs with my Pike in 140mm mode, I always drop it to 110mm when I climb. That lyric must real pain at 160mm in the uphill techy stuff. Is it the AM geo, or did you put a long stem on it?

Compulsive Bike Builder

Set up for that

Quote Originally Posted by hardway
    It's hard for me to get around steep, uphill switchbacks and over large rocks/logs with my Pike in 140mm mode, I always drop it to 110mm when I climb. That lyric must real pain at 160mm in the uphill techy stuff. Is it the AM geo, or did you put a long stem on it?
    Both: it is AM geo and I have a relatively long 120 stem and a straight Thomson post that shifts me a little forward on the bike. I can still get back when needed, the bike does not have a super long top tube.

On the other hand, I feel like a descending super hero on the FR version. Drops and angles that freak me out on anything else are leveled out nicely with the FR geometry for sure.

locked - time out
    Sorry to beat a dead horse but how about that big review. Especially the EVO vs. Moment comparo?

Way to go with the AM build. It's sweet.

Compulsive Bike Builder

Oh THAT...

Quote Originally Posted by TIMBERRR
    Sorry to beat a dead horse but how about that big review. Especially the EVO vs. Moment comparo?
    I didn't know anyone was paying attention. After a few months of riding each I can make a few observations. Both bikes had the same build kit. I think the comparison is pretty much what you would expect.

The suspensions bave a lot in common, both have a nice isolation of forces. No firming up under braking, pedaling does not create a bob-fest in the back, etc.

High bottom brackets and good riding positions on both. Both can be made into very good climbers if you want. The Moment has a significantly longer top tube, it is in cross country territory at 23.5": medium Moment vs small/medium EVO, a good size match otherwise. It gives the Moment an edge in the climbing category, and puts the EVO rider more upright. I tried compensating with a longer stem on the EVO, but a longer top tube is the better way to get climbing geo.

The EVO has more relaxed angles, I dont care what the manufacturer's specs are. It also has a stiffer chasis, and though the Moment is no slouch, the EVO feels like it just cannot be deflected from its line. The EVO gets the nod for stiffness and descending. The faster it goes, the greater its advantage over the Moment. On familiar descents, I felt like I was going slow but I wasn't. The EVO really takes the drama out of a lot of descending. The EVO also felt plusher than the Moment, I could more easily set it up to use all of its travel. The EVO needs a higher Propedal setting than the Moment to squelch bobbing on long smooth climbs. Which is to say that the EVO needs a little propedal, the Moment does not need any.

And while neither bike would be my first choice for a day of switchback riding, I would say the Moment carves the slow, tight, twisty stuff a little better.

Both bikes are true to their heritage. Chumba's DH expertise really shows in the EVO AM. They know where to beef up a frame to handle the forces of descending and the suspension feels most at home when eating up a big hit. Ellsworth's XC race heritage leads them to build a 6" bike that is light, has a long top tube and the suspension's long suit is how you can barely tell you have 6" of travel when you are climbing.

locked - time out
    I wonder how that 2008 DHX-A is gonna be on the Evo. ( On off Switch for PP) Ohh baby.

Maybe the 2008 ZOKE tst air? HHHMMMM.

Any idea when these will be available?

Thanks for the review DD.

mtbr member
    TIMBERRR:

If ZOKE makes a 2" stroke Rocco in '08, I'd take a look at the World Cup. After riding the Evo for about a year, I don't think it needs any sort of pedal platform at all, not even a little bit.

When I first started riding the Evo, I wanted a lockout for the rear end. I'd turn the pro pedal up all the way on the '06 DHX A before every real hill. Since, I've found that riding full suspension requires a bit different body english than a hardtail.

Before I switched shocks, I was leaving the pro pedal turned off ALL the time. When I put the Double Barrel on the Evo, I set the low speed rebound and compression to fully open, just to see how it felt. I honestly haven't messed with either since (been spending my time dialing in the high speed compression and rebound). The Evo just has a really nice feeling to the pedal strokes.

You've already had plenty of time on a full suspension rig, so you'll be set right out of the gate. If the '08 DHX Air's have a true on/off switch, that would be nice. If I was going to buy a ZOKE for it, I wouldn't buy the Rocco TST to get a platform, I'd rock the WC.

Members who have read this thread: 0