27 lb XCL/Talas 36- Mtbr.com
    Compulsive Bike Builder

27 lb XCL/Talas 36

Frame: Chumba XCL Medium Ano Gray 2008
    Fork: Fox Talas 36 RC2 2008
    Shock: Fox RP23 Big Can
    Front Wheel: Hope Pro 2, Notubes Flow, butted spokes, alloy nips
    Rear Wheel: Hugi 240 6 bolt, Notubes ZTR355, butteds spokes, alloy nips, Control Tech Alloy/Ti QR Skewer
    Tires/Tubes: Kenda 2.1 Nevegal DTC rear, WTB Mutanoraptor Race 2.4 front, Notubes yellow tape tubeless
    Crankset: Shimano XTR M970 175 mm 22/32/44
    Pedals: Crank Brothers Egg Beater Triple Ti
    Front Derailleur: Shimano XTR M960 E-Type
    Cassette: Shimano XTR M960 11-34
    Rear Derailleur: Shimano XTR M972 long cage
    Chain: SRAM PC991 Hollow pin
    Shifters: Shimano XTR M970
    Headset: Chris King
    Stem: Syntace F99
    Bar: Control Tech carbon riser
    Grips: WTB Moto-Tec
    Brakes: Magura Marta SL, 180 mm front, 160 mm rear, Notubes Alloy rotor rear
    Seatpost: Thomson Masterpiece
    Seat: Fizik Gobi Ti Rails
    Seatpost clamp: Syntace Superlock, bushing removed
    Other: Standard 4mm housing/cables, alloy ferrules, clear frame protective tape, Chumba chainstay protector, misc titanium bolts.

It is dirty, it still has the Garmin Edge 305 mount on it, the steerer tube is left extra long like I do on all my bikes. It is safe to call it "sub 27 lbs", meaning 26.999...

It could be lighter with a Pike or Fox 32 series, of course. I had a lighter seat and post on it, but these work better for me. I am not trying to make an ultimate weight weenie bike here, this is just my lightweight build kit I already had. If I were trying go full weight weenie, I am sure I could get below 25 lbs. I could save a pound on the fork alone. The front wheel could be build to match the rear, swap the seat and post, go with a 6" front rotor, etc.

As it is, it makes a great all rounder for my style of riding. The Talas 36 is a great fork, allowing for a very slack head angle at 160 mm, I use 130 most of the time. The big can RP23 is linear and plush, but it might be too linear for more aggressive riders who might blow through it too easily. Chumba specs the small can even for the DHX Air on their bikes.

Build note: The new Shimano shadow rear derailleurs work well on the XCL and so do Srams. But many regular Shimano rear derailleurs interfere with the Horst link a lot (which is common). Either they bang a lot on descents, or the rubber bumper rubs the frame enough to make shifting in the big ring difficult.
    Disclaimer: ComCycle USA

nerfherder
    Nice build DD. I feel like the fork is out of place with the build but the frame can certainly handle it. Looks like a lot of fun to ride. Comments on the ride as built compared to previous iterations? Also, of course, you need to provide all the doubters with a shot of the bike hanging from the scale to prove the weight.

Compulsive Bike Builder

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by scruffylooking
    I feel like the fork is out of place with the build. Comments on the ride as built compared to previous iterations? Also, of course, you need to provide all the doubters with a shot of the bike hanging from the scale to prove the weight.
    Scruff,

The fork was kind of a stretch. I like it more for steering precision and geometry than for the travel. At 160 mm, the head angle is about 67 degrees, which is nice to be able to call upon. I was thinking about a Lyrik, too. The Lyrik has better small bump compliance than the Talas, IMO, but it only offers 160 and 115 mm travel settings. That is perfect for an EVO, but for the XCL I wanted something closer the the 140mm spec.

I feel I managed to make a light XCL while keeping its "feel" that I like so much. The front wheel is beefier than the rear, I stayed with a thru axle fork, etc. The only trade off versus a stock bike is that this is not the kind of build you want to catch a lot of air with.

I can never get a good picture on a scale. I tried again with this one, but it is a waste of time if you ask me. If it is close enough to see the scale read out, you cannot see the whole bike, and then you could be faking it anyway. Take my word for it, it is 27 lbs.
    Disclaimer: ComCycle USA

nerfherder
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtDad
    If it is close enough to see the scale read out, you cannot see the whole bike, and then you could be faking it anyway.
    10 megapixels and a tripod!

Members who have read this thread: 0