2007 Frames butted or what?- Mtbr.com
    the train keeps rollin

2007 Frames butted or what?

What's up with the Taiwan made frames. I thought there would be considerable wieght savings? I thought the seatube reinforcement would be more of a gusset than a tube?

From what I'm seeing posted recently, there's no difference between inhouse built frames, and Taiwan built frames, except COO, and price.

Chumba, let's see one of your new XCLs, and an older inhouse built frames on a scale next to each other. If there's no weight savings, I'd rather spend a little extra cash for a USA built custom frame.

mtbr member

Good luck...

Getting any concrete XCL answers around here.
    I'd hit it, but I bruise like a peach.

the train keeps rollin
    Quote Originally Posted by bpnic

Tell me about it, their lack of knowledge on their own product is steering me towards a Intense 6.6

For those interested in Weights.

2007 Medium Proto (US Made) = 7lbs with DHX (Bitterbrush, excellent CS, good prices)
    2007 Geolover's Large frame = 7.4lbs with DHX
    Quoted via returned email from Chumba a couple months ago.
    2007 butted frames will weigh 6-7lbs, I guess they mean without a shock

It seems they're at the mercy of their Taiwan buider at this point. Whatever shows up, is what you get.

Don't get me wrong, the XCL seems like a badazz ride, hopefully they'll straighten out their implementation, and start answering questions.

Trophy Husband
    Quote Originally Posted by snowdrifter

2007 Medium Proto (US Made) = 7lbs with DHX (Bitterbrush, excellent CS, good prices)
    For the record, my frame is 7.5 pounds.

It's also still hanging in my garage with only the headset installed.

I've always had good luck calling them...Alan is a friendly fellow...although I never asked him about the weight. I asked him about strength...and about warranty validity using a 160 mm fork.
    Extreme stationary biker.

shred my gnar
    definately call them... ive spoken with both jason and alan and they answered every question i (which are too numerous to list here) threw at them... and then some! there actually was a fair bit of conversation directly about the us made vs taiwan made frames... just call 'em, the numbers are on several threads in here and im sure the website as well.

edit: my us made '07 xcl has straight gauge tubing

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by snowdrifter
    Tell me about it, their lack of knowledge on their own product is steering me towards a Intense 6.6

It seems they're at the mercy of their Taiwan buider at this point. Whatever shows up, is what you get.

Don't get me wrong, the XCL seems like a badazz ride, hopefully they'll straighten out their implementation, and start answering questions.

Most bikes in the growing "AM Trail bike" segment have their weights clearly listed. I
    may not care about it's "exact" weight, but I won't pull the trigger on one till I find out. The Chumba guys hangout here a bunch, sometimes it seems like they pick and choose their questions to answer.
    I have to do some 24 hour races on my next frame, it also needs to be sturdy for the rocky/rooty trails around here. The XCL, among a few others, is on my short list.

nerfherder
    Quote Originally Posted by bpnic
    I don't know about you but I feel like Chumba is one of the better, if not the best, at responding to their user community via the forums, phone, and even walk in!

The good ones I can think of are Turner , Formula Disc Brakes, DW for Iron Horse, Niner, and Chumba. These companies listen to the community, learn from them, and respond. I think that's cool. Just my 2 cents.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scruffylooking
    I don't know about you but I feel like Chumba is one of the better, if not the best, at responding to their user community via the forums, phone, and even walk in!

The good ones I can think of are Turner , Formula Disc Brakes, DW for Iron Horse, Niner, and Chumba. These companies listen to the community, learn from them, and respond. I think that's cool. Just my 2 cents.

I agree.
    I ride an Ellsworth now, and they are among the worst. Hands down.
    Nice riding bikes though.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

I've asked this question before

You would think that if the new 2007 frames are butted then there would be a weight savings. And I would think that by now somebody would have posted a picture of a for sure butted medium XCL hanging from a digital scale confirming once and for all what that frame weighs (with whatever shock is on it--how about an RP23??) instead of just telling us. It's not like it's some top-secret fact that we're not supposed to know. Maybe they do weigh the same as last year's non-butted. Maybe in fact the new 2007s aren't butted. But, I'm like you, I base my bike buying decisions on facts and, yeah, the frame weight is one critical fact I absolutely have to know. There's only been one poster here (DirtDad) who states unequivocally that with an RP23 a medium XCL frame weighs 7 lbs. I'm not saying he's wrong, I just would like for him or somebody else to accompany that statement with a pic.

And even if the new frame still weighs 7 lbs that doesn't mean it isn't what somebody else is looking for. There's a frame for everyone. But...just the facts, ma'am, please.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy
    You would think that if the new 2007 frames are butted then there would be a weight savings. And I would think that by now somebody would have posted a picture of a for sure butted medium XCL hanging from a digital scale confirming once and for all what that frame weighs (with whatever shock is on it--how about an RP23??) instead of just telling us. It's not like it's some top-secret fact that we're not supposed to know. Maybe they do weigh the same as last year's non-butted. Maybe in fact the new 2007s aren't butted. But, I'm like you, I base my bike buying decisions on facts and, yeah, the frame weight is one critical fact I absolutely have to know. There's only been one poster here (DirtDad) who states unequivocally that with an RP23 a medium XCL frame weighs 7 lbs. I'm not saying he's wrong, I just would like for him or somebody else to accompany that statement with a pic.

And even if the new frame still weighs 7 lbs that doesn't mean it isn't what somebody else is looking for. There's a frame for everyone. But...just the facts, ma'am, please.

Right on

nerfherder
    Fair enough. I just wanted to stand up for the Chumba guys. I didn't think they deserved a bad rep as if they were poor at responding to our requests here.

That said, your asking for the weights is a completely reasonable request.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

I just started lurking on this forum

Quote Originally Posted by scruffylooking
    Fair enough. I just wanted to stand up for the Chumba guys. I didn't think they deserved a bad rep as if they were poor at responding to our requests here.

That said, your asking for the weights is a completely reasonable request.
    and I like what I've seen so far (I usually cruise the Turner, Front Range-Colorado and Santa Cruz forums). I, in absolutely no way, want to give the impression that I'm dissatisfied with anything Chumba Racing related. I just started out with an innocent question--a pic, please, and it just didn't happen. If a potential buyer is looking for a 5" frame there are many to choose from--I'm one who's looking. It's just automatic that I want a confirmation of the frame weight before I proceed with thinking if this or that frame is the one for me. I'm sure I'm not alone. Again, if the frame weight is 7 lbs, a more aggressive heavier rider who doesn't want his frame breaking under his style would be very very interested. Even if the frame weight isn't more weight-weenie oriented (I'm 160 lbs, don't ride real aggressively but want a great-acting suspension) if the suspension is great, well, h!ll, I'm interested too.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy
    and I like what I've seen so far (I usually cruise the Turner, Front Range-Colorado and Santa Cruz forums). I, in absolutely no way, want to give the impression that I'm dissatisfied with anything Chumba Racing related. I just started out with an innocent question--a pic, please, and it just didn't happen. If a potential buyer is looking for a 5" frame there are many to choose from--I'm one who's looking. It's just automatic that I want a confirmation of the frame weight before I proceed with thinking if this or that frame is the one for me. I'm sure I'm not alone. Again, if the frame weight is 7 lbs, a more aggressive heavier rider who doesn't want his frame breaking under his style would be very very interested. Even if the frame weight isn't more weight-weenie oriented (I'm 160 lbs, don't ride real aggressively but want a great-acting suspension) if the suspension is great, well, h!ll, I'm interested too.

These feelings echo mine. I weigh 200 pounds and ride over most trail obstacles. The XCL
    fits the bill. I like what I see around here too, that's why I stick around.

the train keeps rollin
    Sorry if my post is a little harsh. I have been getting different info from several sources. Could have pulled the trigger on a frame at a great deal a while back. I waited for the 2007 butted versions to hit the market, and it seems they're no different than the US production frames. I'm still in the market for an XCL, just a little frustrated how Chumba picks and chooses their responses on this forum.

Several people have asked for confirmed weights, no real answer.

Geo asked to confirm his was a butted version, no straight answer.

To me they seem like there's no real difference, except price and country of origin.
    That's fine, if they're trying to hit that sweet price point for most of us. I just like to the complete low down.

nerfherder
    snowdrifter - Have you tried calling them? Chumba's a small company with too few employees working too many hours. They may not be able to answer every question out here.

mtbr member
    Hey Snowdrifter,

We can help you out with your decision. Just call our sales manager Jason Seamans at 714-348-6859 and he'll be able to help you out.
    Last edited by CHUMBAevo; 06-05-2007 at 10:46 PM.
    Simple | Proven | Reliable

http://chumbaracing.blogspot.com/

Trophy Husband
    Quote Originally Posted by CHUMBAevo
    Sorry, I haven't been able to post as much recently, been really busy.
    Alan

Sorry but being "busy" is not an excuse...you need to answer all our questions all the time! In fact, I'm calling you at home tonight...at 2:30am... to discuss why you didn't use a clevis at the chainstay pivot.

And don't claim Big Bear as some sort of hardship issue...we're not buying it.

cheers

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by geolover
    Alan

Sorry but being "busy" is not an excuse...you need to answer all our questions all the time! In fact, I'm calling you at home tonight...at 2:30am... to discuss why you didn't use a clevis at the chainstay pivot.

And don't claim Big Bear as some sort of hardship issue...we're not buying it.

cheers
    LOL....

Apr 2007
    Call me tomorrow and I will stick each bike on the scale while on the phone.
    We offer a couple of shocks. I have had XCLs at 26 lbs built and I have had them at 31 lbs built. I was looking at a med xcl frame with no shock. It was 6.8 with the seat QR . Now if you take the shock of your choice and add it to that you will have your total. I hope that helps. I was checking out the Pike on the new build kits. I am liking that fork a lot. Call me if you have any questions .

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I'll give Jason and Alan this; they are two hard working knuckleheads! Everytime Alan sends me an email, it's 1 or 2 am....and every time I've called him, he's answered....and everything I've asked for, he's done. I understand both sides here as I'm a small entrepreneur myself and sometimes there's just not enough time in the day. Give them a shout.
    Scott Ransom 910/Evil Insurgent/Chromag Primer...always wanting more!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

I run my own business too

Quote Originally Posted by PattD
    I'll give Jason and Alan this; they are two hard working knuckleheads! Everytime Alan sends me an email, it's 1 or 2 am....and every time I've called him, he's answered....and everything I've asked for, he's done. I understand both sides here as I'm a small entrepreneur myself and sometimes there's just not enough time in the day. Give them a shout.
    I just figure working 7 days a week is what it takes. Keeping your focus on your business while trying to meet everyone's expectations is tough. I'm glad Jason and Alan have been so responsive to your requests. Anybody asks me if I ever pick up my phone I usually reply yeah when you called I was on my cell as well as my other line with a fax coming in on the third line. I'm sure it's the same for them.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChumbaJason
    Call me tomorrow and I will stick each bike on the scale while on the phone.
    We offer a couple of shocks. I have had XCLs at 26 lbs built and I have had them at 31 lbs built. I was looking at a med xcl frame with no shock. It was 6.8 with the seat QR . Now if you take the shock of your choice and add it to that you will have your total. I hope that helps. I was checking out the Pike on the new build kits. I am liking that fork a lot. Call me if you have any questions .

Thank you Jason. Is it safe to assume you weighed a med. Taiwanese butted frame? That's the frame that fits my budget, and the frame I'll most likely purchase.

Trophy Husband
    Quote Originally Posted by ChumbaJason
    It was 6.8 with the seat QR.
    6.8 or 6 pounds 8 ounces...which would be 6.5...and make more sense to me, since I have a 1 pound shock on my frame and it weighs 7.5 pounds.

cheers

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by PattD
    Thanks for the kind comments Patt. Yea, we really try to make our customers and dealers happy. We really believe in our products and we're stoked to see people get on CHUMBAs. Like you said, there's only so many hours in the day -- so it does help when people call us so we can get things done right away over the phone. : )

-A.
    Last edited by CHUMBAevo; 06-08-2007 at 11:44 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 0