100mm fox rlc?- Mtbr.com

Thread: 100mm fox rlc?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

100mm fox rlc?

i know the 660 gear frame is designed for a 80mm fork but i'm wondering if i should get a 100mm fork just in case. i have a 17" 660 frame.

i'm looking at a 2008 fox RLC so its such an expensive upgrade i wonder if i want to protect for getting a new frame down the road and having a more plush ride.

has anyone ridden a 100mm fox on this frame? willl the increase from 100 to 80 really slow down my turning that much? can the 100 be tuned to sag a bit more to get close to a 80 geometry and then when i want more travel, say in a new frame, just decrease the sag?

i live in michigan right now and there aren't many technical trails in my area.

what do yall think?

mtbr member
    I wouldn't worry about it. A lot of people run that frame with a 100mm fork including myself. It just slackens the already steep head angle a bit and raises the standover a little. So you should be fine. --Mark

banned
    Not a problem, some times I use 115 for regular riding or 80 for nasty climbs. I can go 130 for downhills but haven't use it yet. The frame perform well with any of the sizes, the 660 is an amazing frame. I have a Rock Shock RVL 426 U Turn on my.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by marks_bike
    I wouldn't worry about it. A lot of people run that frame with a 100mm fork including myself. It just slackens the already steep head angle a bit and raises the standover a little. So you should be fine. --Mark

hmmm, well my standover is like perfect right now with the rigid zion fork, so i don't know if i'll like a higher standover, but if its slighty.

do you guys know of a Fox F100 can be tuned to sag so it rides like an F80? would i just put more sag in?

mtbr member
    The F100 comes with a spacer and instructions on how to reduce it to 80mm travel, if you try it at 100 and hate it... You could always remove the mod later.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    oh sweet.

sounds good, i think ill go for a F100 then.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by harryzhong
    oh sweet.

sounds good, i think ill go for a F100 then.

Thanks!

It probably would only add a half inch at most to the standover anyway.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    ahh i see.

i've read somewhere that the axel to crown measurement for the zion rigid fork is actually very generous and similar to a 100mm fork measurement.

have any other fellow rigid zion fork riders noticed this?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by harryzhong
    ahh i see.

i've read somewhere that the axel to crown measurement for the zion rigid fork is actually very generous and similar to a 100mm fork measurement.

have any other fellow rigid zion fork riders noticed this?
    457mm axle to crow for the 26" zion fork. Pretty much the same as most 80mm forks. It's about a 20-25mm shorter than my 100mm Rockshox Recon.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    thanks for helping me out Mark, I'm still trying to learn all the intricacies that is mtb.

so that 20-25 extra mm, is that just on a bike stand, or when you are on the bike and its sagging?

I'd imagine that if the 100m for you have is only 1 in longer in terms of axle to crown, then when you get on the bike, the sag would bring it down to similar crow to axle as the zion rigid fork.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    has anyone used the cane creek s3 +5 headset yet? if so, did alter the height of the front of the bike any?

banned

I believe the S3 +5 will solve the problem on the 660. I'm using a FSA Pig DH Pro and it's working great for me. First time that I know about the +5.

Members who have read this thread: 0