Trumbull Trail- Mtbr.com

Thread: Trumbull Trail

mtbr member

Trumbull Trail

Okay I am confused.
    Pequonock River Valley, Trumbull | NEMBA

I was there the other day, exit 9, commuter lot. We poked lot and couldn't find it then I decided to make a left out the of parking and take the road straight down and we found a mountain bike entrance. Turned around, parked the car, and rode our bikes down there.

First the hill to get up on it was too rock and steep (with the rocks) to ride up on it so we walked up on it.

Not much further from there we could go right or straight. Straight was a river where you can try to cross stepping on the rocks to get to the other side. Considering we have to carry bikes we passed. So we went right and it was nothing more than a loop with stupid obstacles.

This isn't the trail as how I pictured it. What am I missing?

mtbr member
    Actually I may have finally found some decent info. I am guessing based on what I found I was not at the correct location. However, the location I was at clearly was Mountain Biking and Hiking based.

mtbr member
    Don't know why but eb5 decided to PM me about it like this is a big secret. If anyone wants to chime in please do. I am going to find this damn trail and ride it if it's the last thing I do.

Quote Originally Posted by eb5
    Looks like you missed everything if you turned around, what kind of riding were you looking for? Trumbull has it all and its definitely a great place to ride. If you say you entered the trailhead at the dead end street, then once you crossed the small stream you should have stayed to your right and shoot up a short climb, at the top it splits and depending on what type of riding you're looking for you can go either right which is more challenging or you can go left for more of an xc ride.
    My reply via PM
    Well I am not interested in crossing a stream while carrying my bike not to mention having my 13 year old daughter do that. I did research this more and might have found other entrances but this is far from being clear. People are saying oh we started at Starbucks but fail to say what direction they took from Starbucks. Driving me crazy!

eb5
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by uncaged View Post
    Don't know why but eb5 decided to PM me about it like this is a big secret. If anyone wants to chime in please do. I am going to find this damn trail and ride it if it's the last thing I do.

My reply via PM
    Well I am not interested in crossing a stream while carrying my bike not to mention having my 13 year old daughter do that. I did research this more and might have found other entrances but this is far from being clear. People are saying oh we started at Starbucks but fail to say what direction they took from Starbucks. Driving me crazy!
    I was just trying to help ya out. Good luck on your findings.

mtbr member
    Appreciate that just didn't see the need for PM.

The thing that is driving me nuts is like you said you need to know where to go. Everything I found on the web is far from clear and I don't get why. But a buddy of mine gave me a tip and going to see if that works.

This is the info I needed. Thanks for the help but finally found this on a website. IMHO I don't get why this wasn't readily available everywhere. Not everyone knows these towns/trails/locations. They list them like everyone should know them. I recently saw a post on FB for this group "Going to hit Trumbull, who's with me". I didn't know what he meant till now because i did not know that "Trumbull" was the name of the trail I been trying to find. Oh speaking of trying to find it. This is the info I needed; just wish I had this on Sunday.

In Trumbull, parking is available at Twin Brooks Park, which can be reached from White Plains Road (SR 127) via Brock Street. To park near the old town hall, take SR 25 to Exit 9 and turn south on Daniels Farm Road. At the light, take a right on SR 127, followed by an immediate right on Tait Road (not Taits Mill Road) to the unsigned, small parking area beside the old town hall (now called the Helen Plumb Building). The trailhead lies 50 yards down the road on the left.

mtbr member
    Found it, rode it, and had fun. We didn't go all the way for was losing light and also thinking of bringing my cell phone for next time so I can mark locations. Curious as to where I was in some parts.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    so eb5 sends you a PM to try and help you and you suspect he might be talking about some secret stuff??
    so you tell everyone what he did in a public forum??

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by _rich_ View Post
    so eb5 sends you a PM to try and help you and you suspect he might be talking about some secret stuff??
    so you tell everyone what he did in a public forum??
    Okay Keyboard Warrior going to address this only once.

As a long time participant of forums in general (of so many topics/focuses) I get the unwritten rule about PM's being made public.

HOWEVER...there was NO reason to make this a PM especially since it would benefit others. I appreciate the reach out, but again I see no reason to make this a private conversation. Second, after going on this trail it truly annoys me hearing people say stuff like: the trail is by Starbucks; take exit 9 and go to the commuter parking lot. None of this was helpful. What would be helpful is saying something like:

Starbucks in the Trumbull center on White Plains road which you can access from exit 9 off route 25. Once you reach the White Plains road take a right (by the gas station) and after making that right do NOT take an immediate right, but take the 2nd right which is almost right next to it. Then park in that area.

Then continue it with something like: If no parking, try to find it close by in one of the parking lots for businesses and push/ride your bike to the area.

Why it took me hours to even find something like that is asinine. I checked the trail section on here, other websites including the Fairfield Mountain Biking Group/Organization and so on. It was the Trumbull website itself where I found helpful directions; which is not biking specific at all. Kind of sad if you ask me that I couldn't find the same helpful directions on all the places that are CT biking related.

So I will end it with this. I appreciate help. If you need to speak to me in private I get it and welcome it. But if you are answering a question that would benefit others for I find it hard to believe I am the only person ever having trouble finding this place, then why would you reply to the request for help and/or question via PM? It does NOT make sense.

Also yes there are many entrances to this trail going as far back as Bridgeport up to Newtown. But I clearly asked about the Trumbull entrance which I learned going on the trail there are at least 4 and one clearly had signs about needing a parking pass which you can only get if you are a Trumbull resident during the two summer holidays which that I have to say anyone can figure out. If they can't, they haven't lived in CT that long. The 2nd didn't have much parking spaces but didn't seem all that filled which either:
    A. I got there around a time it's not that filled
    or
    B. It's not the common place people park at.

Either way, I HOPE this thread will benefit the next person wanting to go on this trail and having trouble finding as I have. I also hope other trails I go on aren't nearly as complicated to locate once you get clear concise directions.

Don't get me wrong, locating it wasn't hard ONCE I had clear and very accurate directions which most of the locations you would think you would get that I did not.

As far as I am concerned this matter is closed. If you want to overly address the PM thing, PM me.
    Last edited by uncaged; 06-06-2016 at 09:09 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    I live right up the street from the trail here in Trumbull, try the Indian ledge park side of the trail. In the park itself you will need a Trumbull sticker, however just up the street on Whitney Avenue you will see the signs and crosswalk for the rails to trails. The little side street is the entrance to the trails and there are many points to drop in to the mountain bike trails From there. There is the river that you will need to cross of course, but there is a bridge for that or with how low the water is right now you can drive across it. I have been riding these trails for over 20 years, the red and yellow trails will be the more advanced trails with some pretty nice technical areas and features. There is "the wall" and some other great features that the guys build out there such as ramps, bridges etc.

Delirious Tuck
    i think this has been indicated before, but try THIS website for Fairfield County trail info... seriously, its like people get a recommendation and completely forget about it. Don't know why I bother trying to help.

Fairfield County, CT - Mountain Biking Ride Guide

Trumbull Specifically

Pequonnock River Valley - Trumbull, Connecticut

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    55 Park St Trumbull, Connecticut is the lot we use.

This is probably the best trail map if the area.

Pequonnock Valley Trail Map (GPS)

mtbr member
    I have many new places I start at now but the most common is Edge Fitness which I feel I have the right to use a parking spot there since I am a member.