Thread: New rider, RI

mtbr member

New rider, RI

Hello everyone, new rider here from Warwick RI. I got my first bike in October and have been riding as much as possible since then. I went out for my first group rides this past week, both at Big River (NEMBA organized).

Was wondering if anyone had tips for getting started with group rides at this time of year? There doesn't seem to be many other ambitious beginners out there right now. For the first group ride I did, a few guys were willing to take a slower group, which was nice. For the second one, a night ride, we just went as one big group and the pace was a bit too fast for me. It was no drop, so the group waited at trail heads, but it got me wondering how much of nuisance I was. There was one other slower guy in this particular instance, but I have to imagine there will be times where I am the slowest by a significant margin.

I would just ride alone, but that seems sketchy at night in this weather. Thoughts on how to handle this while I get faster?

eff
    mtbr member
    Drag a few buddies into riding too. That is how i got into it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Monday nights at 6pm is a group ride at Big River exit 7 at the commuter lot. Still getting 4-6 bikes even with temps in the 20's and 30's, when it was warmer there were 15+ bikes some nights. Ride was started by a local bike shop, Providence Bicycles, the one in Warwick, and they set up a Facebook group. The ride is new rider friendly and usually has a sweeper that knows where we are going and can keep an eye on anyone having a off night.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/provbikemtb/
    I like bikes

mtbr member
    The RINEMBA has group rides at Big River Exit 7 Thursdays at 6pm. There is always someone going at a slower pace. Saturday has some of the same people at Big River at Greasy Joe's (literally 1/4 mile from Exit 7) that also has beginner rides.

If either interest you, PM me and I can give you the contact information.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by yzedf View Post
    Monday nights at 6pm is a group ride at Big River exit 7 at the commuter lot.
    Thanks, I didn't know about this one. I will join when I can.

Quote Originally Posted by habsfan View Post
    The RINEMBA has group rides at Big River Exit 7 Thursdays at 6pm. There is always someone going at a slower pace. Saturday has some of the same people at Big River at Greasy Joe's (literally 1/4 mile from Exit 7) that also has beginner rides.
    Thanks, these are the two that I did. The Saturday ride was not a problem as we split into groups. The Thursday ride was when I felt like a bit of a burden. Only one group. The obvious solution is to get faster.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Petorius View Post
    Thanks, I didn't know about this one. I will join when I can.

Thanks, these are the two that I did. The Saturday ride was not a problem as we split into groups. The Thursday ride was when I felt like a bit of a burden. Only one group. The obvious solution is to get faster.
    I remember you - I'm the ride leader for that group - you weren't a burden, keep coming!

bike dork
    The Wednesday night Lincoln Woods ride is also beginner friendly. We always break into different groups (up to 3 in the summer when we see 25+ riders). If we have a single group it's a no drop. We ride at 6:00, meet at the rte 123 entrance parking lot before the covered bridge.
    Full disclosure; I sell and repair bikes for a living: http://blackstonebicycles.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Add me to the "new riders" group. Well new in that I have not done much mountain, all road, in the past few years. Looking to hook up and ride with some folks!

eff
    mtbr member
    I just started a job in Smithfield and may try to meet up on Wednesdays. What is the style of riding? Is it more about pedaling or clearing obstacles/rock formations?

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by yzedf View Post
    Monday nights at 6pm is a group ride at Big River exit 7 at the commuter lot. Still getting 4-6 bikes even with temps in the 20's and 30's, when it was warmer there were 15+ bikes some nights. Ride was started by a local bike shop, Providence Bicycles, the one in Warwick, and they set up a Facebook group. The ride is new rider friendly and usually has a sweeper that knows where we are going and can keep an eye on anyone having a off night.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/provbikemtb/
    This is a great ride for beginners or those getting back into riding. I went several times last year starting in the spring through fall. Sometimes two groups will form - beginner and intermediate. Definitely check it out!

pilot wanna-be trainer
    Sep 2016
    Update to this thread - I tried to join the FB group last week - no action thus far. When are the rides typically going at Big River? I'm in Newport and have just started getting back into MTB'ing and rode the last three days in the late afternoon, just before sunset at Big River. I'm already planning on going to the Acadia ride next Saturday - but looking for what weekly group rides are currently going? I would classify myself as an intermediate rider - still learning but not brand new.
    -Bobby

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Monday nights - meet at exit 7 parking lot, beginner ride at 5, intermediate 5:30-6 I believe. You might need a light for the later ride.

Join these fb groups:

TRIMOM Productions, llc (Kathy runs the beginner ride)
    RI NEMBA (there are two fb pages, join both, as one has weekly ride updates)

I live in NK and ride at Ryan Park mainly on weekends if you're interested. It's pretty easy but nearby.

pilot wanna-be trainer
    Sep 2016
    Ok, found both of the RI NEMBA pages, still waiting on the approval for the ride page, but doesn't look like much activity lately. TRIMOM showed the Monday beginner ride at 5pm and the Intermediate/Advanced at 6pm. How long do their rides last? Asking basically to see if I need more than my headlamp as I've been riding all the way up to about 7-7:15pm already, (sunset), w/o one.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by snocone View Post
    Ok, found both of the RI NEMBA pages, still waiting on the approval for the ride page, but doesn't look like much activity lately. TRIMOM showed the Monday beginner ride at 5pm and the Intermediate/Advanced at 6pm. How long do their rides last? Asking basically to see if I need more than my headlamp as I've been riding all the way up to about 7-7:15pm already, (sunset), w/o one.
    I think the rides are approx 1.5 hours. You should be fine for the beginner ride, but you may need a bar light for the later ride.

The beginner ride had some intermediate type riders last time I went, but it's been awhile. It's still fun, but slower paced.
    If you have the Messenger app, send Mike Ferraro from the ride page a pm.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhodyman View Post
    I think the rides are approx 1.5 hours. You should be fine for the beginner ride, but you may need a bar light for the later ride.

The beginner ride had some intermediate type riders last time I went, but it's been awhile. It's still fun, but slower paced.
    If you have the Messenger app, send Mike Ferraro from the ride page a pm.
    1-2hrs (7-10 miles usually) depending on who shows up and what they want to do. Main group is usually on trail by 6pm and back by 7:30pm. We've had kids (youngest was 9yo), teens, the bulk of the group is 30s-50s men with a couple women usually and the occasional older rider. There is a core group there most weeks, a steady group of 50-50 people and the few pop in when they can people.

Rides are always no drop, if someone needs to head back early (regardless of why) there will always be someone willing to see that you make it back, its not always the same route but they typically avoid the boring stuff and don't hit the overly technical stuff. Not afraid to climb or have fun on the faster flowy stuff.
    I like bikes

pilot wanna-be trainer
    Sep 2016
    Thanks for all the pointers - made it to the ride this evening with the TRIMOM group that Kathy leads. No night riding as noone had lights, and a small group, (5 total) despite the wind/potential weather.
    Finally pointed in the right direction, so thank you.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Awesome!
    I like bikes

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by snocone View Post
    Bobby, sorry no one has approved your request, they are usually good about that.

There is a group ride every Thursday at 6pm at Big River at Exit 6 (Burnt Sawmill Road). There are always 3 groups, Chill, Medium and Fast.

Lights are required for all levels now that it gets dark around 730 unless others don't have lights, which those usually break off early.

pilot wanna-be trainer
    Sep 2016
    Thanks- good to know about the Thursday ride, I'll try to go this week. Plan on going tonight for the Monday ride at exit 7.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Close to RI...in nearby Hampton CT.....right off route 6.....Goodwin State Park.....the Quiet Corner Nemba group has a mellow Monday ride. They welcome all skill levels. Supposed to be a "mellow" ride....but if the group is intermediate then it is an intermediate ride!

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Cicch95 View Post
    Close to RI...in nearby Hampton CT.....right off route 6.....Goodwin State Park.....the Quiet Corner Nemba group has a mellow Monday ride. They welcome all skill levels. Supposed to be a "mellow" ride....but if the group is intermediate then it is an intermediate ride!
    Where do you park?
    I like bikes

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    There is a parking lot about 1/8 mile off of rt 6. There are signs.