mtbr member
    Apr 2016

New member from Northeastern, CT checking in

Hi all,
    Great site! I mountain biked for years and got out of it about 10 years ago. Took a trip out to Moab last spring and got hooked again! I live in Killingly, CT right over the RI border. Ride Big River, Old Furnace, Thompson Dam, etc.

Used to ride a 26" Specialized Stumpy M2 Comp. Pic is of my new rig....2012 Stumpy Comp 29er, converted to 1x10. Love it!

Try to ride at the very least once per week........we have a good group. If anyone in the area wants to ride, let me know!

-Rick
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New member from Northeastern, CT checking in-ross-pond.jpg  

Last edited by Cicch95; 05-03-2016 at 12:37 PM. Reason: spelling errors!

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Nobody else from Northeastern CT on here?

mtbr member
    Welcome!

CT forum is pretty quiet in general. I'm from west of the river.

Mine is a similar story. I dropped out for about 6 or 7 years while the kids grew up and then upgraded to a Specialized Carve in 2012. I have been riding pretty regularly since and I am loving my resurrection!

Planning a 2019 Moab Trip for my 50th birthday. Wheels are already in motion!

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Arebee View Post
    Welcome!

CT forum is pretty quiet in general. I'm from west of the river.

Planning a 2019 Moab Trip for my 50th birthday. Wheels are already in motion!
    I have noticed that about this forum. Too bad, lots of cool content.

Have you ever been to Moab? We went for our 20th anniversary. It is an AWESOME place. We took a guided mtb ride from Rim Cyclery....which is the shop that started it all out there. It ended up only being the guide, my wife, and I. He took us to some awesome trails! We did not ride any slick rock though, which was disappointing. Lots of other cool stuff to do there as well.

We did this 2 seater ATV thing....which was INSANELY awesome. If you are interested, I can dig up the info on it. PM me. You wouldn't believe the hills you go up and down!

-Rick

mtbr member
    I have never been to Moab. We have a riding group of around 8 people and most likely 5-6 of us will head out. Rim Tours is the outfit that I have reached out to. I hear nothing but great things about them. We're thinking fall of 2019, so it's a long way off. We just needed to put it on our calendar so our wives were aware well in advance.

If you're on facebook, look up the Bikerag group. It's pretty active. They used to have a forum, but social media killed it. You can still go to bikerag.net and get plenty of great maps for CT, MA and a few in RI, among other places. See you 'round!

Ralph

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Yup, Rim Tours is great. You will be happy. I am not on facebook! (probably the last person left not on there!) Do you guys ride in Northeastern CT and RI much?

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I live in RI and ride Big a River quite often. Where is Moab? This rainy weather is so depressing! Next week looks good though.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhodyman View Post
    I live in RI and ride Big a River quite often. Where is Moab? This rainy weather is so depressing! Next week looks good though.
    Moab is in Utah.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New member from Northeastern, CT checking in-moab-mountains-800x600-.jpg  

Last edited by Cicch95; 05-05-2016 at 05:27 AM. Reason: add pic

mtbr member
    The farthest East that we travel is Case Mountain in Manchester. We do that ride three or four times a month.

We did a lot of research on RI and Eastern Mass last September and ended up spending a long weekend in the Milford, Mass area, riding Borderland/Vietnam/F. Gilbert. Loads of fun, except F. Gilbert, which was torn to shreds by motorbikes.

Loser
    I live in NE CT - lots of great riding around. I live close to Crandall Park in Tolland if you every want a tour - some good XC riding there. Facebook killed all but the strongest boards.

I hate to suggest to join Facebook, but there are some good CT riding groups out there. There's a very active Facebook group for NE CT called Quiet Corner NEMBA. They run a lot of rides including Old Furnace and other places you mention.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Jisch is right about Facebook being where the action is these days on mountain bike chat. Quiet Corner NEMBA is very active out your way, and they've done a lot of work at Old Furnace. I organize a weekly RAW (Ride-After-Work) ride for Central CT NEMBA on Thursday evenings, and we generally ride in the Glastonbury/Manchester/Hebron area. Message me if you're interested in getting on my email list for the RAW rides.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    The farthest East that we travel is Case Mountain in Manchester. We do that ride three or four times a month.
    I want to try Vietnam too. I heard it is good. Case is around 50 mins from me.....but I'd be open to giving it a try some time!

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Jishc / BDE1024........emails sent. NOooooo....I won't join facebook! Ha!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cicch95 View Post
    I want to try Vietnam too. I heard it is good. Case is around 50 mins from me.....but I'd be open to giving it a try some time!
    Vietnam was crazy fun, and I enjoyed Borderland just as much. I didn't enjoy F. Gilbert at all. As I mentioned, motorized dirt bikes had done a number on the trails we rode, but I was also exhausted from riding Vietnam and Borderland in the previous two days! That didn't help!

mtbr member
    I went to Moab on a mtb road trip back in 05' and it is everything and more than you hear about! Spend at least a few days on the slick rock itself. The Porcupine trail is a good local trail there too, very scenic. The traction of slick rock is insane, going up or down. Some of the best freeriding ever too, it is like a giant skatepark with features everywhere. Cant wait to get back out there again.
    "Hillbilly in a corporate world"

mtbr member
    What's up guys. I haven't been on this forum for a number of years since I moved from the Seattle area to Boston, and effectively stopped riding. I'm now living in the Windsor area, have my bikes at CFM cycles getting tuned up, and I'm ready to get back to riding. Places I've been looking to check out are The Gnar, Cowles, and maybe Robinson state park (though with the Springfield construction/traffic it's kind of a pain in the ass driving up that way right now.) Definitely have Case on the list once I'm in a little better riding shape as well. Open to other suggestions in the Windsor area/ riding with groups once I get my legs back under me.

Moab is on the short list of mtb trip destinations, did do a trip to Bend, OR with my old man a few years ago though and it was incredible. Great riding, great beer, it's basically my adult version of Disney Land.

mtbr member
    I am in RI and just getting back in to it after a lengthy break as well.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Welcome ExCaxtus and FlyfishingRI.....

We should all meet up for a ride.

Where abouts in RI Fly? I grew up in Cranston and lived in Warwick for 10 years before moving to NE CT.

-Rick

mtbr member
    I would be down for a ride for sure, either in RI or CT. I went up to Kingdom Trails in East Burke, VT yesterday, what an amazing place to ride. The whole town is literally all about mountain biking.

I am right between Cranston and Scituate in a town called Hope.

Alex
    New member from Northeastern, CT checking in-13239247_10153645283044639_447219136910257544_n.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    PM sent Fly.

Thinking of doing a trip to Kingdom Trails this year!

mtbr member
    Kingdom is awesome, I may end up getting a season pass. I found out it is a tough day trip. 4 hours of driving each way is usually no sweat for me, but throw in a 80 degree day full of riding and the 4 hours home was a LONG 4 hours. lol Definitely well worth it though! From now on I will probably stay the night when I can, there are campgrounds nearby as well as other options like bed and breakfast and lodges.

I guess the driving wouldn't have been as bad if we didn't decided to go at 2am the night before and I got up at 4:15 to get all our stuff ready.

mtbr member
    Checking in. I am in Sandy Hook and it seems like many of you people are quite a bit of ways from me. For me to join would have to be pre-planned but I am interested but due to distance wouldn't be going on all meets unless the fiance and I can make it work with our schedules as well as making sure the dogs are taken care of.

mtbr member
    Hey Cicc - I'm in Dayville, so anytime you want to ride somewhere, let me know - I do a ton of weekly rides - Saturdays are a different place each week in RI/CT/MA and go 15-20 miles (intermediate/intermediate +). Monday is a chill pace at Goodwin (very relaxed), Tuesday is usually Old Furnace (A and B groups) and Thursday is the RI NEMBA group ride and I lead the intermediate/intermediate + group at Big River.

Always open to Wed/Fri/Sun if those don't fit in your schedule.

Fly - I grew up in Hope - lived there for about 28 years.

and the posters are right - QC NEMBA, RI NEMBA and Central CT NEMBA facebook pages are much more active than this.

mtbr member
    I will check out the FB pages.

mtbr member
    Nemba is an acronym for New England Mountain Bike, an advocacy group. A bunch of us are going to their camp-out/trail ride event in June at The Kingdom Trails. Good way to learn them if you havent been before. Broke my brake lever and new one is in this week, so back out o the trails soon.
    "Hillbilly in a corporate world"

mtbr member
    I Google it before you reply. Very cool website. Will check it out in detail later.

mtbr member
    Small world habs!

I might try to make it to NEMBAFEST as well, looks like a good time and I can't wait to get back to the Kingdom, such an awesome place.

mtbr member
    Signed up for a bunch of FB NEMB groups in the CT area and close to CT. Now just need to coordinate planned events to my life calendar. Looking forward to it. Hoping I join at least one group ride.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by habsfan View Post
    Hey Cicc - I'm in Dayville, so anytime you want to ride somewhere, let me know - I do a ton of weekly rides - Saturdays are a different place each week in RI/CT/MA and go 15-20 miles (intermediate/intermediate +). Monday is a chill pace at Goodwin (very relaxed), Tuesday is usually Old Furnace (A and B groups) and Thursday is the RI NEMBA group ride and I lead the intermediate/intermediate + group at Big River.

Always open to Wed/Fri/Sun if those don't fit in your schedule.
    Sounds good! Email sent.

-Rick

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Thinking of riding Old Furnace in Danielson tonight (5/23) around 5 or so if anybody is interested in joining.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    West Greenwich RI here, live 3 minutes from Big River. We have a few weekly rides here; Monday's at 6pm is a fairly mellow group. NEMBA does a Thursday 6pm ride and a Saturday 9am (sometimes 9:30am) ride.

In August I'll be moving to Hebron CT, would be great to have some people to ride with, most the people I know there only ride once or twice a month.
    I like bikes

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by yzedf View Post
    West Greenwich RI here, live 3 minutes from Big River. We have a few weekly rides here; Monday's at 6pm is a fairly mellow group. NEMBA does a Thursday 6pm ride and a Saturday 9am (sometimes 9:30am) ride.

In August I'll be moving to Hebron CT, would be great to have some people to ride with, most the people I know there only ride once or twice a month.
    I'm definitely going to try to make some of these rides.

Usually ride Big River on Sunday's at 8:00 am.

mtbr member
    I've been heading out to Cowles Park in Granby trying to get my endurance/skills back. Anyone ride out there?

mtbr member
    Our group rode Cowles a few times this year. It is very well maintained, but to me, it was a series of climbs and smooth flowing trails. We all seemed to agree that we like the more technical terrain at Case Mountain in Manchester. Cowles doesn't dry as well as Case either, so if there's any rain before our ride, we steer clear.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    If the rain holds off....going to hit Old Furnace in Danielson tonight around 5 if anybody is interested. Shoot me an email.

-Rick

mtbr member
    Our group rode Cowles a few times this year. It is very well maintained, but to me, it was a series of climbs and smooth flowing trails. We all seemed to agree that we like the more technical terrain at Case Mountain in Manchester. Cowles doesn't dry as well as Case either, so if there's any rain before our ride, we steer clear.
    Fair enough, I was planning on riding Cowles after work today so I'll take that into consideration. I'm from the Seattle area so climbs followed by smooth flowing trails is my jam.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ExCactus View Post
    Fair enough, I was planning on riding Cowles after work today so I'll take that into consideration. I'm from the Seattle area so climbs followed by smooth flowing trails is my jam.
    Did you get there? Curious what you thought of it and how conditions were after Sunday's rain.

mtbr member
    Did you get there? Curious what you thought of it and how conditions were after Sunday's rain.
    Hey sorry, I saw this then completely forgot to respond.

I didn't get there on Monday, but I did Tuesday, and overall conditions were great. There were a few puddles on Taj-Mahal on some of the berms (poor drainage), and you can tell riders aren't too cognizant of trail maintenance as the few puddles there were, riders just railed through, leaving deep ruts that will only get worse with more rain.

Overall, the sections I rode were in very good condition though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ExCactus View Post
    Hey sorry, I saw this then completely forgot to respond.

I didn't get there on Monday, but I did Tuesday, and overall conditions were great. There were a few puddles on Taj-Mahal on some of the berms (poor drainage), and you can tell riders aren't too cognizant of trail maintenance as the few puddles there were, riders just railed through, leaving deep ruts that will only get worse with more rain.

Overall, the sections I rode were in very good condition though.
    That sucks that people beat up the trails. I know that the guys that work on the trails really try to protect them. I was there not long after the first thaw in February and some trails were completely closed off, which I thought was great.

Glad you enjoyed Cowles. I'm off to the West Hartford Reservoir after work today. Hopefully Tuesday's rain had no effect on the trails. They were dry as a bone last weekend and most likely handled it well.

Delirious Tuck
    Ride through the middle of the mud and puddles please. Easier for us to repair than widened trails.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thefriar View Post
    Ride through the middle of the mud and puddles please. Easier for us to repair than widened trails.
    Fair enough.