mtbr member

http://www.nemba.org/ question

I am posting this here for I am a CT resident so figured if anyone is part of the NEMBA | New England Mountain Bike Association in the CT area this would make the most sense to post it here.

I only grazed the surface of checking out the site and what it's all about. I do like what I see and think it's very cool.

However, I found it interesting you have "chapters", and there are dues. First the chapters give me the feeling of something out of Sons of Anarchy. The dues I get for the Elks and other groups, but if people are volunteering to work/clean-up trails and what not, what is the money being used for? Then there is the bi-laws which I stopped reading for it was basically a legal document and I was starting to get lost and quite frankly bored.

Not putting it down, just trying to better understand it.

mtbr member
    I know in RI they do some trail cleanups but to be honest I am not sure. If they are non profit the money has to be gone at the end of the year right? I wish they would spend some of it on trail signs and wood features at Big River.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    There is a link to chapter websites on the NEMBA site. The Rhode Island chapter is extremely active, with rides and trail work going on all the time. The RI NEMBA Facebook page is a good way to find out what's going on if you're a Facebook person. If you want the chapter to do something specific like signage at Big River, join them and get involved.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by uncaged View Post
    I am posting this here for I am a CT resident so figured if anyone is part of the NEMBA | New England Mountain Bike Association in the CT area this would make the most sense to post it here.

I only grazed the surface of checking out the site and what it's all about. I do like what I see and think it's very cool.

However, I found it interesting you have "chapters", and there are dues. First the chapters give me the feeling of something out of Sons of Anarchy. The dues I get for the Elks and other groups, but if people are volunteering to work/clean-up trails and what not, what is the money being used for? Then there is the bi-laws which I stopped reading for it was basically a legal document and I was starting to get lost and quite frankly bored.

As far as the dues go, a portion of your annual membership fee gets returned to your local chapter. Chapters use that money to buy tools, building materials and supplies to improve the trails. A much larger portion of your membership fee goes to providing liability insurance to cover the activities of members. The liability insurance is very important in many aspects and allows NEMBA to do the great work it does.

mtbr member
    But if people are volunteering then the volunteers can supply their own tools and if something big is needed then at that time everyone can chip in.

But I get it, might not agree with it but I get it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Sons of Anarchy? Yikes, no. Dig dirt, ride, repeat. Start there. We are a 501(3)C. North Shore MA member here. All about trail building, access, volunteering, community outreach etc. We host meetings, events, rides, chapter meetings as well as Nemba wide events. Going to Nemba fest this year? We we supply food to some events, and LUMBER. So much pressure treated lumber. I have helped put in 100's of yards of boardwalks. And bridges. We work with conservation groups, the DCR ( MA state parks) land owners and stake holders. If you like to mt bike, it will be the best $ 35.00 you ever spent. I get a sticker( awesome) a singletracks mag 6 times a year and 5% off my LBS stuff. Our trail work days usually involve 8:30 am start, haul lumber/dig dirt, lunch provided by the chapter, bike ride. My chapter also hosts the " wicked ride of the east" @ Harold Parker state forest. I make chili for 5-600 of my closest friends. Money raised goes to Nemba, our chapter, charities sometimes and usually the hosting park. We are the go to resource for trail work, advocacy and outreach. We also bought 22 acres in Milford MA for $ 200,000 plus to save it from being developed. Called, Vietnam. Nice trails there, go figure. More trails, better trails, more access, what's not to like? See you on the trails......

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I've been a "member" of NEMBA for a few years and the term "dues" cracked me up. I have never really thought of it that way, I have always considered it a donation to help promote mountain biking and maintain trails. I guess I don't see NEMBA as a club as much as an organization to promote the enjoyment of mountain biking.

If you really want to track the funds just take a look at their IRS Form 990, which all not-for-profits file. On the other hand, if you don't envoy reading legal docs, not sure you have fun with a tax document either...

( edit: I do get that it would be nice if some organizations would be more transparent with their revenue and expenses. Just seems like it would be good PR if they mentioned we spent such and such last year on... A simple.." Where our money goes" chart perhaps...

mtbr member
    Semitone,

That's the thing I see no expenses here. For instance, Elks which I used to be a member of has lodges, and with lodges came bars, and with bars came alcohol plus electricity food, and so on. To pay for that and everything else they do they need money so you pay your dues for the year and the money is used to cover bills, donations and so on.

Now we have this MTB group that has all the right intentions but from what I can tell they have no meeting place hence no overhead. All trail work is volunteer, and people are asked to bring the tools to help with accomplishing the goal. So that brings me to, the money is used for....

If people are volunteering (member or not), people are bringing tools, where is the overhead? There is no meeting/lodge that I can see, and paying for a domain is not expensive at all and cheaper the more years you buy plus with FB nobody really needs a webpage anymore but it's a nice feature to have. I seen business that profit on FB alone. Yes, you need to pay for the server to host the page, possibly pay for someone to make it if there are no volunteers that know how to do that. But short of that, where is the overhead?

Also, trails, isn't that a state supplied thing? I get wanting to help, but I don't see this group paying to have trails or are they?

See where I am coming from on this?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Semitone,

That's the thing I see no expenses here. For instance, Elks which I used to be a member of has lodges, and with lodges came bars, and with bars came alcohol plus electricity food, and so on. To pay for that and everything else they do they need money so you pay your dues for the year and the money is used to cover bills, donations and so on.

Now we have this MTB group that has all the right intentions but from what I can tell they have no meeting place hence no overhead. All trail work is volunteer, and people are asked to bring the tools to help with accomplishing the goal. So that brings me to, the money is used for....

If people are volunteering (member or not), people are bringing tools, where is the overhead? There is no meeting/lodge that I can see, and paying for a domain is not expensive at all and cheaper the more years you buy plus with FB nobody really needs a webpage anymore but it's a nice feature to have. I seen business that profit on FB alone. Yes, you need to pay for the server to host the page, possibly pay for someone to make it if there are no volunteers that know how to do that. But short of that, where is the overhead?

Also, trails, isn't that a state supplied thing? I get wanting to help, but I don't see this group paying to have trails or are they?

See where I am coming from on this?
    Did you see my post? The Ex. director is paid. There also is an office. PK does an awesome job. Meetings, paperwork, lobbying stuff, liaison stuff, policy meetings, community outreach, web site, the magazine, etc. Most chapters have a tool trailer $, full of tools $ for all to use. Food and lumber really add up. DCR budgets are getting cut esp. this year. Price out 75' of wood for a pressure treated boardwalk over some swamp or wetlands. OP do you ride mt bikes? Enjoy good trails? CT right? We attended some meetings last year concerning closing the watershed around a reservoir being closed to some lawsuit? $35 bucks? Is this really a concern? Call PK and talk to him. We have chapters all over New England and do 1,000's of hours of trail work all over. We donate $ to many organizations. In just my chapter, Magnolia bike club, Kingdom trails, Trustees of the Reservation, Essex County Greenbelt, DCR, Friends of Harold Parker etc. Getting the big picture? Just show up at the next Nemba ride in your area, CT has many active clubs. Start there.

mtbr member
    No need to get all touchy. I was just asking.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    No problem, just trying to be clear. Other questions? Nemba is a big moving ship with many small parts. Passionate trail advocates who like to ride mt bikes.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Uncaged:

Absolutely nothing wrong with asking how a "not- for-profit" spends its money.

Leebo:

"$35 bucks? Is this really a concern"=Really bad response. IIRC NEMBA was sitting in almost $400k of cash and investments for a while. Not sure what it is now or what they did with the money. I could think of a lot of things regarding trails and advocacy where that could be useful. I've been "assuming" that it was going to be used for something specific but I never really did follow up. Correct me if I am wrong.

(edit: 600k to 400k)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Semitone View Post
    Uncaged:

Leebo:

"$35 bucks? Is this really a concern"=Really bad response. IIRC NEMBA was sitting in almost $600k of cash and investments for a while. Not sure what it is now or what they did with the money. I could think of a lot of things regarding trails and advocacy where that could be useful. I've been "assuming" that it was going to be used for something specific but I never really did follow up. Correct me if I am wrong.
    I did find something about them in regards to buying acres of land for $35k and how Trump's company offered them over a 1,000,000 to buy it from them and how they were so proud of themselves for turning it done to preserve the woods. Look I am all for preserving the woods, but if someone offered me 1,000,000 for something I paid 35k for. Well all I can say is life is too short and show me the money!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Semitone View Post
    Uncaged:

Leebo:

"$35 bucks? Is this really a concern"=Really bad response. IIRC NEMBA was sitting in almost $400k of cash and investments for a while. Not sure what it is now or what they did with the money. I could think of a lot of things regarding trails and advocacy where that could be useful. I've been "assuming" that it was going to be used for something specific but I never really did follow up. Correct me if I am wrong.

(edit: 600k to 400k)
    Maybe I came across as harsh. My bad. I have not read the bylaws, attended BOD meetings or such. I do regularly attend( and host) NS chapter meetings. I really have not given it very much thought about the corporate organization structure. I'm more a boots on the ground guy. I try to get to at least 6 trail days a year, either Greater Boston, Merrimack Valley, or my own chapter, North Shore. No problems with questions, at all. Questions on the direction of $, advocacy and such? Sign up to join a chapter. Become a BOD chapter rep. This is a working organization.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I did find something about them in regards to buying acres of land for $35k and how Trump's company offered them over a 1,000,000 to buy it from them and how they were so proud of themselves for turning it done to preserve the woods. Look I am all for preserving the woods, but if someone offered me 1,000,000 for something I paid 35k for. Well all I can say is life is too short and show me the money!
    I think the price was around $220,000 or so. We are all about trail advocacy, preserving open space and riding bikes. The money was raised from all kinds of donors, small folk, orgs, national companies ( bike stuff and other) We have a plaque on site should you wish to check it out. What good is $ if we have no place to ride? To sell would go against the whole reason Nemba was founded. Plus all the donors gave their money to prevent this. The parcel buts up against several other properties in which to ride, connecting some cons land and such. Going to ride pavement though housing projects? Not. Life is too short to see more woods fall to a strip mall, office park or such. Dig dirt, rest, repeat.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyFishingRI View Post
    I know in RI they do some trail cleanups but to be honest I am not sure. If they are non profit the money has to be gone at the end of the year right? I wish they would spend some of it on trail signs and wood features at Big River.
    The Big River signage project has been in the works for a long time. As I understand it, it is mostly waiting on approvals from the land managers. Unfortunately, there last I heard, it's not going to be so much signage that you can use, as it's going to be trail map kiosks near the major entrances, which won't really help when you're lost. Still, they're trying. Perhaps I should show up for a chapter meeting sometime and offer my two cents.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by phride; 05-30-2016 at 05:35 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    There would be no riding allowed in a lot of CT parks if it were not for NEMBA's advocacy and trail work.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cranky View Post
    There would be no riding allowed in a lot of CT parks if it were not for NEMBA's advocacy and trail work.
    I get it, just was not sure about the purpose of the money. But the examples I found and was brought up in here makes sense. The part that I couldn't get past was if there are volunteers supplying themselves and tools I did not get the point of the money. But I get it now.

mtbr member
    FYI...I literally just signed up to join for the family rate since there is really 3 of us just a minute ago.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    FYI...I literally just signed up to join for the family rate since there is really 3 of us just a minute ago.
    Cool.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Welcome and thank you. There is a fun ride Saturday @ Goodwin forest, CT. Thought about Nembafest? Way good riding. Way.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by leeboh View Post
    Welcome and thank you. There is a fun ride Saturday @ Goodwin forest, CT. Thought about Nembafest? Way good riding. Way.
    Google it...2-plus hours drive will kill too much of our day. Have one in the Fairfield County area and that would be doable. Let us know.

Delirious Tuck
    good work! Thank you... check out fcnemba.org and our trails maps Fairfield County, CT - Mountain Biking Ride Guide

We spend $$ in Fairfield County NEMBA on training, tools, volunteer appreciation, material for bridges, etc. And we spend money on advocacy, which could be printed cards with proper trail user etiquette, helping to pay for signage, and doing take a kid mt biking day events, etc.

All in, we maintain about 85 miles of trail, mainly singletrack, have a trailer full of specialized trail building tools that you can't buy at Lowes or Home Depot or your local garden center, and keep in the good graces of land managers... all while trying to ride our bikes.

mtbr member
    Hi Everyone, I'm John, the president of the RI NEMBA Chapter. I don't get on here too much anymore but came across this post and wanted to chime in. I can assure you that all the money in our treasury goes right back into making cycling better for the state of Rhode Island. Just in recent months we've hosted "Fun Rides" at Big River, Arcadia, Lincoln Woods and Diamond Hill. The chapter purchased all the dirt used to create the Diamond Hill pump track. We donated a trail grant to Riverpoint Cyclocross Park that went towards tools and materials needed to maintain their park. We put on a weekly riding clinic for the kids at Meeting Street School (Transportation, snacks, etc.) providing many of them their first cycling experience and developing future trail ambassadors. In addition to this we host many trail maintenance days per year. We'll be building a 30ft bridge at Arcadia at the end of the month and another bridge project at Big River is in the works. We reward our volunteers with a yearly volunteer incentive raffle and provide "Bravo" awards for volunteers that go above and beyond. Every year we host the Big River Earth Day Cleanup and over the past 10 years we've removed over a dozen vehicles, 6 boats, more than 40 20yd. dumpsters filled with mostly tires, old trash from dump sites and road side cleanup. Our main objective and responsibility is to advocate for the sport of mountain biking, develop future advocates and protect mountain biking access for future generations by developing relationships with land managers and DEM. Thank you to all the members, volunteers and local cyclists that make this all happen! See you out on the trails!