How Does Hartford Res. Handle Rain?- Mtbr.com
    Cleavage Of The Tetons

How Does Hartford Res. Handle Rain?

As in, can you ride in the wet, or is that a party foul/no go?
    I am not from around here, so I donít know the soils.
    I understand all other conditional etiquette...

To clarify, I am visiting next Friday-Tuesday, and need to know if I should bother renting a bike for Fri/Sat/Sunday if there is going to be light rain.
    Thanks!
    Last edited by rideit; 1 Week Ago at 04:45 PM.
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

Thrill Bikers Unite!

mtbr member
    Never ridden there but I ride Eastern part of CT a lot...I'm sure it's similar. Typical NE singletrack around here drains well but there will be some low areas that have not completely dried out from winter (some NEVER dry out!). In Spring I try to avoid the low areas to give them more time.

In the last couple of weeks I've ridden Case which is in Manchester/Glastonbury area (East of Hartford). Riding has been great with just a few low areas that are still soft. One of my regular spots...lots of great terrain there. If you park Birch Mountain Road Lot in Glastonbury you have access to Gay City trails to East, and Case trails to West. Trail Forks has some pretty good data on the trails in that area.
    12 Santa Cruz Heckler
    18 Kona Process 153 AL/DL (27.5)...

mtbr member
    It doesn't handle rain well at all.

We're supposed to get over 2" of rain between Thursday night and Saturday afternoon and will probably be a muddy mess until early next week. Forecast for next week looks awful too.

Ahhhhhhhhhh, Spring in New England...

Like sturge mentioned, you might have some luck at Case depending on what we get next week. Case dries out far better than the Res.
    AreBee

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Thanks guys, visiting the in-laws, so maybe I just need a quiet room, some Jorgensen and some Cheetos instead.

And then we eat them."

Thrill Bikers Unite!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I agree with everything above. Case is probably one of the best places to dry out quickly in the state. Much better than the Res.

I would also never pass up on the opportunity to try a new place to ride. Case mountain is great I would say give it a shot! It is quite a big place, so make sure you have a map if you go.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Actually had a FANTASTIC ride at the Res Friday, 21 miles of mostly single track with a few laps sessioning stuff on the Ridge. Gonna make a judgement call on going to Case tomorrow AM.

And then we eat them."

Thrill Bikers Unite!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Actually had a FANTASTIC ride at the Res Friday, 21 miles of mostly single track with a few laps sessioning stuff on the Ridge. Gonna make a judgement call on going to Case tomorrow AM.
    Did you do a few laps of the whole Res? From what I've seen, there's really only one loop of any consequence, riding the ridge (blue trail), and then some single track on the east side to make the loop. Otherwise there's only fire roads. I don't ride there often, but from what I remember, I wouldn't be able to put together 21 miles there unless there was a ton of overlap. I'm not doubting you, just wondering if I'm missing any trails.

To keep the thread on target, I did do 2.5 hours at Case last night. It was pretty fantastic. 99% of it was completely dry with only a few low lying spots that had water issues.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Tons of reriding sections, I sessioned the ridge about four times and did the loop twice. There were about two miles of riding on the road outside of the park.

And then we eat them."

Thrill Bikers Unite!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ctxcrossx View Post
    Did you do a few laps of the whole Res? From what I've seen, there's really only one loop of any consequence, riding the ridge (blue trail), and then some single track on the east side to make the loop. Otherwise there's only fire roads. I don't ride there often, but from what I remember, I wouldn't be able to put together 21 miles there unless there was a ton of overlap. I'm not doubting you, just wondering if I'm missing any trails.

To keep the thread on target, I did do 2.5 hours at Case last night. It was pretty fantastic. 99% of it was completely dry with only a few low lying spots that had water issues.
    If he did a double loop, that sounds about right. Our regular Res Loop is a hair over 10 miles, with about a 1-1.5 miles of that being fire (gravel) road connectors.

Case is fantastic. There's something like 60 miles of trails in a very small footprint.

My weekends have been murder, so I haven't gotten out to Case in over a month. I have been able to get in shorter night rides at the Res during the week. I have to take what I can get.
    AreBee

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    What's the level of riding at Case? I'm new to the area and would say I'm an intermediate rider. Looking for some fun stuff but am definitely not super advanced or technical. Any suggestions?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by lvrpl View Post
    What's the level of riding at Case? I'm new to the area and would say I'm an intermediate rider. Looking for some fun stuff but am definitely not super advanced or technical. Any suggestions?
    Hopefully you're comfortable riding terrain with plenty of rocks and roots. I'd say that the blue blaze (Shenipset) trail is one of the most continuously tricky trails lots of rock!), there are others as well. You'll want to use a trail map. The place is a maze! Trailforks.com seems to have one of the most accurate ones.

As an alternative, you could try Gay City in Hebron, or Cowles (East of the ridge) in East Granby. They both have trails that would be considered easier than Case.