Don't ride Blackledge Falls!- Mtbr.com
    Loser

Don't ride Blackledge Falls!

OBD just posted this up over at Bikerag, thought I'd pass it along - hopefully he won't mind my cut and paste of his words:

per request of the landowner, the 'new' trails south of Gay City SP in the Blackledge area are illegal, unwanted and trespassing there creates an unsafe situation, given that he has legal hunting permits practically YEAR ROUND, including Sundays. Apparently his family owns a huuge amount of land that's also farmed so they're given 'crop damage' hunting permits which allow them to eliminate large amounts of deer, even 'jacking permits' which let them literally hunt at night (who knew)

suffice to say, when he met us at the trailhead last night with a bloody knife in one hand, we were all ears.

we told him we'd spread the word. so...i'm spreading it

(i wouldn't suggest ignoring his request or tearing down any new 'no trespassing' signs. his next call would be to DEP and nobody needs that headache. please respect his request)

ZEN RIDER!
    Roger's Trail? The last I looked it was part of the Mesh State forest/ gas line property. I know some of the land out there is patch work. I'm 99% sure I know the land owner, i grew up with him. I'll stop by his farm & see whats going on.
    Life in every breath

Loser
    I'm not sure, but from OBD's description over at BR, I would say yes its Roger's Trail.

John (be sure to let us know if this is just hunting season related)

ZEN RIDER!
    If it is Roger's trail then I'm 100% sure I know the land owner, if its not state land. I know I've seen state markes & gas line markers thru out Roger's trail.
    If that is the case then its only an issue during hunting season, specifically shotgun which is Nov/Dec. Honestly he will have little time after the hunting/winter season to check up on the trail. For the most part the crop damage permits are restricted to "crops" & seeing its a apple/berry farm I'm guessing it doesn't apply to the woods. My guess is he is looking for a big buck in the swamp.
    Life in every breath

Loser
    Based on the map OBD just posted up, its Roger's Trail. It would be great to get confirmation from the land owner that we're cool after hunting season.

John

ZEN RIDER!
    I had a guy at work take a look at the map as he is an advid hunter & knows most of CT for hunting & he said the solid lines to the left surrounding Roger's trail are State Boundries. The lollypop section(south) may be the only part that is not State land, but if you pull up Blackledge falls Map it looks like it falls within Blackledge fall area, or pretty darn close.

http://www.multimap.com/maps/?zoom=13&c ... d%20States

After looking at several maps & none of them scale the same or show the same boundries
    http://www.ct.gov/dep/lib/dep/wildlife/ ... ap291b.pdf
    its hard to tell where the State parcels end & begin. Its starting to look like Roger's trail may not be, or partial in State land.
    Life in every breath

Eating Hot Pockets
    Quote Originally Posted by Jisch
    Based on the map OBD just posted up, its Roger's Trail. It would be great to get confirmation from the land owner that we're cool after hunting season.

John
    the man claims to have permits to hunt on his property year-round as well as at night with Jacklighting permits.

so it sounds like EVERY day is a good huntin day (or night, for that matter)

Loser
    I gotta call the DEP. I did a quick search or three and couldn't find anything coming close to year round/24 hour hunting. Seems suspect to me, but who knows, definitely beyond my expertise.

John

ZEN RIDER!

Update - Trail Re-route

The fern trail has been diverted to the gas line & Roger's trail/Candy Land, has a
    NEW ENTRANCE.
    So PLEASE do not ride the powerlines between the fern trail & Blackledge falls as it is the PROPERTY of DEERCREST FARM & they do not want to accidentally shoot anyone while hunting to stave off crop damage.
    Use the new connector & do not remove any of the blockages on the old trails please.
    Currently a route is being sought after to bypass the gas line/powerlines to blackledge falls/gaycity Hopefully that can be done from the lollypop.
    Life in every breath

Members who have read this thread: 0