Decent map of West Hartford Res?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Decent map of West Hartford Res?

Are there any mtb specific maps available? Headed there this Saturday. I rode there last year once and had a great time, but might have missed a bunch of good riding. I just rode the outer loop as much as possible. If there are any other suggestions or maps available other than the official state one that would be great.
    Thanks.

mtbr member
    Got a smart phone? Try one or both of these apps:
    MapMyRide
    Trailforks

Good luck.

P.S.
    Bike shops sell this awesome book that list a ton of trails in CT and RI. Categorizes them, length, difficulty, etc. One time cost for an awesome resource.

mtbr member
    I rode there last night and ride there pretty frequently. Check out the MTB Project map. A lot of interactive stuff. I still don't know all these trails by name although some I can figure out by location and the pictures.

Mountain Bike Trails near West Hartford Reservoirs

We usually ride from Rt 44 parking lot through the dykes, Outer Berm, Water Towers, to the Rt 4 Reservoir area. A lot of "No Bikes" signs, but that's for weekday construction. Nobody bothers you on the weekends. We ride on the paved road for about 1/2 mile to a dirt fire road (again, "No Bikes") which takes you to the lower fence line.

At the end of the lower fenceline is a gravel path and the powerlines. Take a left off the gravel, about 200 feet, and you hit the upper fence line which runs parallel to Old Mountain Rd. A right at the top outs you back on the powerlines and a left on the fire road (uphill) will take you to Kilkenny Rock. We then head for the ridgeline by way of a short stint on a fire road and then the power lines again. Once you get up there, you can go forever!

If you keep following straight you'll come to a small stream running through a rock garden at the bottom of a hill. You go for about 100 feet and the trail makes a right around a deadfall then the rock garden continues. If you can make it all the way through it's a hell of an accomplishment! We call it "Roots, Rocks and Reggae"! This trail hooks up with the powerlines again. You can go lefton the power lines and be back to the Rt. 44 parking lot in 5 minutes or go straight across and go back to the dykes for about a 2+ mile extension. Take the extension and that's a 10 mile ride.

Enjoy!
    Last edited by Arebee; 05-27-2016 at 05:33 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Thanks! Those are helpful.

mtbr member
    Did you get your ride in? We rode the Res on Sunday afternoon and cut it short. We didn't even make the full loop. 3.5 miles out and 3.5 miles back. It was just too hot.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Never made it. My kid was so drained from the heat at the Avon soccer tournament that we ended up going to see the new Xmen movie instead and enjoyed 2.5 hours of AC. Will def. refer to this thread next time I go, but 95 degrees is too high above my optimal temperature for riding!