mtbr member
    Jul 2011

CT trails with the best flow?

First let me start by saying that I love biking in CT. I live in Trumbull and have been here for a little over 12 years. I bike Pequonnock /Indian Ledge a few times a week and probably head up to Rockland at least two to three times a month (hour+ drive).

Recently my girlfriend has expressed an interest in mountain biking. She's come up to Kingdom Trails with me a few times and rented a bike. She's been pretty capable of handling herself but steers away from a lot of the technical/rougher stuff. She isn't a fan of Trumbull at all. She likes trails that are a lot better groomed and flowy, and after a few trips with her to KT I can see why.

I'd really like her to continue to get into biking so i'm on the hunt for trails that would be closer to what she liked in VT. Something that doesn't have too much tech, but is pretty fast and flowy with decent sized berms, maybe a few jumps, moderately sized skinnies/bridges, and limited climbing. I'm not looking for a downhill course, but i'm hoping I can find something that isn't too XC either.

I've biked all over CT, but I'm sure I haven't seen everything. I have yet to come across what she's looking for an could use some advice.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Haven't had any luck in my travels. Farrington has a nice flowy downhill if you're ever in the western part of CT. It's a reasonable climb up as well. At the top of the park it's a lot of cutbacks/switchbacks and some rock gardens but it's not super flowy.

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    As stonant said, Farrington is (relatively compared to most of the rest of the state...) flowy, but that's mostly due to it just being far less rooty and rocky than most places.

Otherwise, get yourself over to Rockland. Good stuff for both you and your lady to enjoy. Good flowy stuff, but also a good amount of fun tech stuff. Pretty much most of the harder stuff has go-arounds built in, if she isn't inclined.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

the discerning hooligan
    Just over the state line in Agawam is Robinson SF...exactly what you're looking for. Probably not worth the drive by itself, but combo plate with the Big E, Six Flags, Hall of Fame, ( or the dreaded Yankee Candle trip)...

mtbr member
    Although East Granby might be a haul for you, Cowles Park has a ton of flow. There are a few roots and rocks, but what New England trails don't have them?

The trail system is very well maintained and they even use leaf blowers in the fall to clear the trails!

Note: The people who maintain it are very serious about riders staying off the trails when they are really wet.

Check out their FB page "Cowles Park Singletrack." Cool pics as well as updated trail conditions.
    AreBee

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Arebee View Post
    Although East Granby might be a haul for you, Cowles Park has a ton of flow. There are a few roots and rocks, but what New England trails don't have them?

The trail system is very well maintained and they even use leaf blowers in the fall to clear the trails!

Note: The people who maintain it are very serious about riders staying off the trails when they are really wet.

Check out their FB page "Cowles Park Singletrack." Cool pics as well as updated trail conditions.

I have to second this suggestion. Very smooth and flowy for the most part, you could honestly get by on a gravel bike for much of it. There are some cool features, but by no means a technical spot. If you are looking for flowy/berms, check out Toboggan Run. I think there is still a youtube video out there for this trail if you search for it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Waldo in Southbury has good flow trails, and somewhat novice friendly.
    I try to avoid sexual innuendo, but its hard.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Little late to the party, but River Highlands in Cromwell is a great spot for flow. There are literally no rocks to be seen, very unusual in CT.

mtbr member
    You ever take that Trumbull trail with the American Flag hanging? If you take those many dirt paths leads you to some really cool stuff and some quite challenging. I saw this one dude about my age did a bike drop about 8 plus feet from a boulder. I said: RESPECT!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I second Waldo State Park in Southbury. I only have a rigid SS right now, so flow is much appreciated, and it's the closest thing to "flow" I've found since moving to CT last year. A lot less rocks than most places and not a ton of sustained climbing. I would guess she would have some fun there.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by trimess View Post
    I second Waldo State Park in Southbury. I only have a rigid SS right now, so flow is much appreciated, and it's the closest thing to "flow" I've found since moving to CT last year. A lot less rocks than most places and not a ton of sustained climbing. I would guess she would have some fun there.
    Can a gravel bike handle it?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Maybe, but I'm not a huge fan of riding gravel/cross bikes on single track trails. It's less rocky than most trails around here, but still a decent amount of rock wall crossings, and rock gardens. You would likely have to get off the bike a few times each lap.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Arebee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gluestick View Post
    I have to second this suggestion. Very smooth and flowy for the most part, you could honestly get by on a gravel bike for much of it. There are some cool features, but by no means a technical spot. If you are looking for flowy/berms, check out Toboggan Run.
    It depends on where you ride in the system. If you stay on the east side of the ridge, it's very smooth, but if you go to the ridge, you'll find plenty of that traditional New England technical terrain. Another run that's nice and flowy is Taj Mahal.

I'll second Robinson as a flowly place to ride, but I don't care for it too much...to little elevation change, too smooth, and it is a really confusing network of trails!