Case Mountain, Manchester, CT- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Case Mountain, Manchester, CT

Really, I was just sick of looking at an Arizona thread at the top of our page.

We rode Case on Sunday and although it was a little damp in two or three places, the place was rolling great.

I've been riding on and off at Case for over 10 years, and we still find "new" trails all the time. A few weeks back we discovered a trail people call "Misty Mountain" past the high steel bridge, and each ride since we have found (by accident) a different connector up to the Fort Trail. Lots of great single track in there. Absolutely love riding in this weather.

We had the propane fire pit cranking in Line St. parking lot for the post-ride festivities. People seem to gravitate to the fire and a lot of great people stopped by to chat, join us for a beer or just get warm. We're there almost every Sunday, stop by!
    AreBee

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Right on! Case remains my favorite place to ride and itís a great place to spend a day. I lived in Glastonbury from 1995 through 2006, and now Iím about two hours away in eastern MA. Even so, I still make it a point to go to Case every few weeks. Itís an enjoyable day trip and the riding is always satisfying. I leave tired and happy. Iíll be there the next time we see a dry Saturday.
    Last edited by GChuckyB; 10-24-2018 at 06:23 PM.

mtbr member
    Nice...been in our rotation for about 25 years. Love late fall NE riding...firm and fast! We always park in S Glastonbury at Police Towers on Birch Mt Road. Usually Thurs night and Sun AM. Our group has dwindled over the years. Many have settled on the couch after 50 so we're down to 3 or 4 regulars.

Case has so many great loops...West toward reservoir or East toward Gay City. Lots of variety, some pretty good downhills (and climbs) and plenty of tech/challenge. New stuff shows up from time to time to keep it fresh.

We've developed our own loops/names...Alternator, Blue Flag, Tossed Salad, 19 Turns, Woodcutters, 'Nam', Trail that Never Ends, etc. They don't show up on apps like TrailHub...all developed from years of discovery and learning our way around. I'm sure we have run into you before!

We have so much great riding to choose from in this area. Rotation includes Rockland, Mooween, Gay City, Greyville, Day Pond, Devils Hopyard, Nathan Hale, Crandalls, Cowles, Bluff Pt/Haley Farms...all different but good in their own way!
    12 Santa Cruz Heckler
    18 Kona Process 153 AL/DL (27.5)...:thumbsup:

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sturge View Post
    Nice...been in our rotation for about 25 years. Love late fall NE riding...firm and fast! We always park in S Glastonbury at Police Towers on Birch Mt Road. Usually Thurs night and Sun AM. Our group has dwindled over the years. Many have settled on the couch after 50 so we're down to 3 or 4 regulars.

Case has so many great loops...West toward reservoir or East toward Gay City. Lots of variety, some pretty good downhills (and climbs) and plenty of tech/challenge. New stuff shows up from time to time to keep it fresh.

We've developed our own loops/names...Alternator, Blue Flag, Tossed Salad, 19 Turns, Woodcutters, 'Nam', Trail that Never Ends, etc. They don't show up on apps like TrailHub...all developed from years of discovery and learning our way around. I'm sure we have run into you before!

We have so much great riding to choose from in this area. Rotation includes Rockland, Mooween, Gay City, Greyville, Day Pond, Devils Hopyard, Nathan Hale, Crandalls, Cowles, Bluff Pt/Haley Farms...all different but good in their own way!
    We have a core of four riders that ride almost every week, but we have had recent rides as large as 10. The core of us range in age from 49 to 65, but we've brought in some new younger blood recently which keeps us old guys pedaling. I bet you have crossed our band of misfits before, with our loud mouths and loud colors!

We also have our own names for trails, "Flowy", "Extended Flowy", "Dragon's Back", "Old School", "The Ledges". I've recently joined Strava to help find additional trails. Not only has it helped us find different trails, but it's helped me put names on the trails that I've heard people talk about for years, like Mamba, Misty Mountain, etc. I am the anointed navigator of our group and at times I get ridiculed for my laminated topo map of Case, but with the map and my GPS, no matter what direction we go, I always get us home.

I've only crossed the powerlines and gone into Gay City once, and that was years ago. We'd like to do it again sometime, but we're enjoying the new loops we keep putting together at Case.

By the way, anyone on the Bikerag Facebook page?
    AreBee

mtbr member
    Sounds like a good bunch AreBee! I'm also navigator because I ride more often so the other guys just follow. Have younger guys join us sometimes but their lack of experience gives us a chance! We know our way around all the local areas but often discover a new/different loop. When in 'exploration mode' I use old school navigation and connect the dots to get where we need to go.

Found a free 'cyclemeter' app and sometimes use it to record a new loop but phone stays in pack. Years ago I used Bikerag.com maps to scope out new places. After a few years we know much more than what's documented on the site. Now it's just a matter of mixing and matching different ways to ride all these places to keep it fresh. Usually it's weather/season that determines best routes to take.

Have heard many use Strava but we don't really have a need for it now...wish it was around 15-20 years ago!
    12 Santa Cruz Heckler

mtbr member
    Sounds like a good bunch AreBee! I'm also navigator because I ride more often so the other guys just follow. Have younger guys join us sometimes but their lack of experience gives us a chance! We know our way around all the local areas but often discover a new/different loop. When in 'exploration mode' I use old school navigation and connect the dots to get where we need to go.

Found a free 'cyclemeter' app and sometimes use it to record a new loop but phone stays in pack. Years ago I used Bikerag.com maps to scope out new places. After a few years we know much more than what's documented on the site. Now it's just a matter of mixing and matching different ways to ride all these places to keep it fresh. Usually it's weather/season that determines best routes to take.

Have heard many use Strava but we don't really have a need for it now...wish it was around 15-20 years ago!
    Yeah, I never take my phone out of my pack either. Nothing drives me more crazy then the one guy in our group who is constantly looking at his phone, talking about his "PRs" and second guessing my every move!

I use my Garmin GPS to export the ride to Strava. Then I use it on my PC with photoshop to overlay my routes on the Bikerag topo map. Then I can see where we have been and what other trails are around us. It's pretty archaic, but it's allowed us to find trails or to figure out where a trail goes. I was given a gpx file from a guy on Bikerag, but I haven't figured out how to work with it. I saved it to my GPS, but it says it's only a .4 mile course. There are something like 66 miles of trails in a 2.3 square mile area! Doesn't sound possible, but I've seen the mapping program that the guy uses!
    AreBee

mtbr member
    Riding there this morning. Weíll see how wet it is after yesterday. We got slammed with rain in mass and watching ct weather looks like the same deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    There have been posts on Facebook about somebody booby-trapping trails at Case with branches and logs thrown into landing areas and other blind spots.

Keep alert for this crap.
    AreBee

mtbr member
    Just thought I'd revive this to give props to one of the great riding spots in CT.

I have ridden over 200 miles at Case this year. It may not be a lot to some of you, but it's more than all of my 2018 rides combined, and any other year for that matter. My increase in riding has really done wonders for my endurance and allowed me to go farther out from Line St. We've explored a little on the other side of the powerlines, but have found more flow than tech. We're an Old School Blue type of crowd and try to spend more time on technical trails than we do on flow trails.

Trail Gnomes have been busy. A few new bridges have popped up in the last few months. Most recently off Reflex, across the stream, just before the high steel bridge. It was nice not to have to traverse the girders or roll through the freezing cold water.

We are really enjoying Misty Mountain Express although we can't seem to find the Misty Mountain Extend-O off of it. We have been enjoying Joy in both directions, out to the powerlines and back to the bridge.

What are you guys riding these days?
    AreBee

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Arebee View Post
    Just thought I'd revive this to give props to one of the great riding spots in CT.

I have ridden over 200 miles at Case this year. It may not be a lot to some of you, but it's more than all of my 2018 rides combined, and any other year for that matter. My increase in riding has really done wonders for my endurance and allowed me to go farther out from Line St. We've explored a little on the other side of the powerlines, but have found more flow than tech. We're an Old School Blue type of crowd and try to spend more time on technical trails than we do on flow trails.

Trail Gnomes have been busy. A few new bridges have popped up in the last few months. Most recently off Reflex, across the stream, just before the high steel bridge. It was nice not to have to traverse the girders or roll through the freezing cold water.

We are really enjoying Misty Mountain Express although we can't seem to find the Misty Mountain Extend-O off of it. We have been enjoying Joy in both directions, out to the powerlines and back to the bridge.

What are you guys riding these days?
    How are the trails looking now? Muddy and/or lots of leaves, or not too bad?

mtbr member
    We were last there on the 17th and the trails were dry but very leaf-covered. A couple new trees down on Old Blue. We got rained out on Sunday but I bet they're running great right now. This Sunday's weather doesn't look good but there's a big ride Friday morning.
    AreBee

mtbr member
    Still in our rotation at least once every week or two. We always start high at Birch Mt Road (Police towers). Ride always ends with the long grind up from the 'iron bridge'. We know sooooo many great loops there and new ones come and go as time goes on.
    12 Santa Cruz Heckler

mtbr member
    Still in our rotation at least once every week or two. We always start high at Birch Mt Road (Police towers). Ride always ends with the long grind up from the 'iron bridge'. We know sooooo many great loops there and new ones come and go as time goes on.
    Yeah, that is a tough "out"!

We're a Line St. group because we really enjoy climbing Upper Mamba. Such a great trail! I think the best part about Case is that we can tailor a ride based on who's riding in our group. If the overall group is not as strong on a given week, we'll skip Old Blue and Shenipsit and hit a less technical trail like Smookey. If we want to extend our ride, we will take the Shaft out to the power lines and come home on Graveyard instead of Joy. We once had a friend-of-a-friend lead us in a ride that was 90% flow (that will never happen again). The point is, there is something for everyone at Case.

Really hoping that we can squeeze in a ride and a little Thanksgiving tailgate this Sunday morning before the snow comes.
    AreBee

mtbr member
    We got in 7.5 miles before the snow yesterday. The trails were frozen and fast. Lower Mamba, Scabs, Nutter Butter, Perestroika, Joy out to the powerlines and home the same way.

19 degrees at the start of the ride! Warmed up in the parking lot with a fire pit and chili dogs!
    Case Mountain, Manchester, CT-ringers1.jpgCase Mountain, Manchester, CT-ringers2.jpg
    Last edited by Arebee; 3 Days Ago at 10:24 AM.
    AreBee

mtbr member
    Nice...I gotta start hangin at Line Street! We rode Crandall's Sun AM. Cold AF there too (19F) but great ride. No bonfire or chilidogs, just a couple Subductions.

Just checked trailforks to figure out all those trail names (we've always created our own). We park up high at Birch Mt Road so there's a few long downhill options to start the ride but always end with the long grind out. Years ago there was only the Blue, Yellow, White, Red hiking trails combined with power and gas lines. We would work our way down past the reservoir and sometimes end up way out at Birch Mt lookout then work our way back. The last 10 years or so there have been many great new loops created all over Case that are mountain bike specific.

Loops on North side of power lines (from Police Towers lot):
    Blue Trail, Right on power line, Easy Way. From there we have downhill options...Big Rocks DH, Little Climb, The Shaft, Graveyard, Smookey, Reflex, Joy, even tried Bushwhacking a couple of times. Can also go across Birch Mt Road and there's multiple loops all the way down to Gay City and back.

Loops on South side of power lines:
    From top of Easy Way we can also hit all the Tinti's, Slash, Pickle, Delores, Case Pines, to back side of Reservoir...this is the best LONG downhill loop in the area. From there, sometimes we do an additional climb up Dogface or Upper Ridge before heading back around other side of reservoir. Usually up Tossed Salad then work our way to Iron Bridge for long grind up Joy.

I don't think we've ever gone as far as Mamba and Scabs but lots of the black trails over there we have done. Def will try a Line St start at some point to explore that side more.
    12 Santa Cruz Heckler

mtbr member
    Nice...I gotta start hangin at Line Street! We rode Crandall's Sun AM. Cold AF there too (19F) but great ride. No bonfire or chilidogs, just a couple Subductions.

Just checked trailforks to figure out all those trail names (we've always created our own). We park up high at Birch Mt Road so there's a few long downhill options to start the ride but always end with the long grind out. Years ago there was only the Blue, Yellow, White, Red hiking trails combined with power and gas lines. We would work our way down past the reservoir and sometimes end up way out at Birch Mt lookout then work our way back. The last 10 years or so there have been many great new loops created all over Case that are mountain bike specific.

Loops on North side of power lines (from Police Towers lot):
    Blue Trail, Right on power line, Easy Way. From there we have downhill options...Big Rocks DH, Little Climb, The Shaft, Graveyard, Smookey, Reflex, Joy, even tried Bushwhacking a couple of times. Can also go across Birch Mt Road and there's multiple loops all the way down to Gay City and back.

Loops on South side of power lines:
    From top of Easy Way we can also hit all the Tinti's, Slash, Pickle, Delores, Case Pines, to back side of Reservoir...this is the best LONG downhill loop in the area. From there, sometimes we do an additional climb up Dogface or Upper Ridge before heading back around other side of reservoir. Usually up Tossed Salad then work our way to Iron Bridge for long grind up Joy.

I don't think we've ever gone as far as Mamba and Scabs but lots of the black trails over there we have done. Def will try a Line St start at some point to explore that side more.
    We had all our own trail names too. Trailforks finally let us match up what we called them to what everyone else called them. Of all the ways into Case, Lower Mamba from Line St. seems to allow us to warm up at a perfect pace with a steady gradual climb. It then transitions into Upper Mamba which a couple of the guys think its the best trail in the whole place. I think it has a great mix of climbing, moderate tech and flow. But I think the best part about Line St. is Lower Mamba coming home. It's a really fast and flowy downhill. As I mentioned before, we prefer tech over flow, but this is a great way to end a ride.

I like the Little Climb and Big Rocks when going from Shaft to Joy. That's some good single track!
    Last edited by Arebee; 12 Hours Ago at 08:10 AM.
    AreBee