Best New England Tires- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2016

Best New England Tires

I have a Trek X-Caliber 8 and absolutely hate the stock Bontrager XR-2 tires that came with my 29er. They aren't grippy enough for the trails I ride (Rockland, Tyler Mill, West Rock State park, Trumbull, etc.).

What tires do you run on your bike?

I'm leaning towards 2.3 Maxxis High Roller II in the front and Ardent 2.25 in the rear. My only concern is if the HR will fit in the front or not...

What do you guys think?

mtbr member
    We ride Case Mountain in Manchester which is rocky as it gets and the West Hartford Reservoir which is rocky, rooty and rutted. I was looking for an improvement in traction from my Continental Mountain King II Protection tires. I went with Maxxis Minion DHF and DHR II (2.3") with EXO sidewalls for increased protection. I rode them for the first time in Stowe, VT over the weekend and they were amazing. I never slipped or spun out once. Rocks, berms, angled roots, you name it, they stuck to everything. My confidence skyrocketed and my rides were great. My buddy rode the same combo in 26" versions and he absolutely loved them too.

Delirious Tuck
    For 29 specifically

You cannot go wrong with Minion DHFs in EXO 3C, you'll have sidewall protection, tacky but durable rubber, and good rolling speeds.

Other ideas are Magic Mary Front and Nobby Nic rear, 2.4 with the Trailstar compound for tackiness/traction. The nobby nic does seem to wear quickly if you're riding aggressively (i.e. turn down corners hard).

Maxxis Ardents roll very fast but you have to play with the psi to get traction dialed, however I've found they slip very predictably so you know when you'll need a bit more momentum or how to "slip" through a rock garden at speed.

The Maxxis HRIIs run a bit narrow, so you shouldn't have clearance concerns on any post 2012 forks.

Speshy Butchers are always a good choice as well, stay away from the purgatory, the rubber is a bit too hard durometer for our trails and tends to slip/break traction unpredictably/all the frickin time.

WTB combo of the Trail Boss and Vigilante are good, I think I'd run the Vigilante up front and a narrow trail boss in the back. Very fast rolling, similar to ardent with predictable traction breaking points.

Tires are something that people for some reason try and don't let go of. I think they're like screw drivers, you don't use a philips head on a standard and you don't use a stubby handle big driver for glasses. If you're going to be riding mostly Kingdom Trails you can do a harder durometer and faster less grippy tire, if you're here in CT riding a bit of everything, something like a mininion DHF which is balanced will do great but excel if you go with 3c compound since its softer in the center tread and harder on corner knobs.

They're also something people wear down way too much and then complain they're not getting performance and blame on the tire. Poor form. They should be the part of your bike you're replacing most frequently. That and grips.

the discerning hooligan
    The Nobby Nic is the best all-rounder I've used.

mtbr member
    i have been running Maxxis DH casing wire bead tires since i heard about them, prob 02. The minion and holy roller for sure you cant go wrong.
    "Hillbilly in a corporate world"

mtbr member
    E13 Trs+ by far the best all around tires for our terrain and maybe all I have ridding in the east. Rolls well, tough, grippy like gecko feet and very stout side nobs. Dual compound in the rear, triple compound up front.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by piperpilot964 View Post
    E13 Trs+ by far the best all around tires for our terrain and maybe all I have ridding in the east. Rolls well, tough, grippy like gecko feet and very stout side nobs. Dual compound in the rear, triple compound up front.
    Never heard of that one. BEEFY! The tread pattern is a near dead ringer to the Maxxis DHR.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Very happy to hear this. I have a pair mounted up (the same way you do) Looking forward to the 1st ride tomorrow AM. What rims are you using?

EAT MORE GRIME
    conti trail kings grip everything.

they pull up a lot of leaves

Delirious Tuck
    Haven't run the trail kings in 29 form.

Who's making the E13s? They're a MA company so imagine they make sense.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    I've been running a 2.1 trailboss rear with a 2.3 vigilante front, tons of grip but really heavy. Really great braking too. Might switch up to a conti mountain king / trail king setup.

the discerning hooligan
    Quote Originally Posted by EricV View Post
    I've been running a 2.1 trailboss rear with a 2.3 vigilante front, tons of grip but really heavy. Really great braking too. Might switch up to a conti mountain king / trail king setup.
    Always look for the black chili rubber for Conti tires...wouldn't bother with the standard compound offerings.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MOJO K View Post
    Always look for the black chili rubber for Conti tires...wouldn't bother with the standard compound offerings.
    I was disappointed with my Mountain King IIs with the Black Chili compound. Not as grippy as I expected and the sidewalls took a beating. I rode Case Mountain yesterday, my 3rd ride with DHF/DHR II combo, and I absolutely love them!

Delirious Tuck
    If your trails have roots and those roots sweat or get greasy, the MKII, even with Black Chili, is a disaster of a tire.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by thefriar View Post
    Haven't run the trail kings in 29 form.

Who's making the E13s? They're a MA company so imagine they make sense.
    I've read that the E13's are being made by Cheng Shin(which I think owns Masxxis??) I have nothing to substantiate this though. Where in Ma are E13's offices?

I'm really enjoying these so far in the Mass leaves. Maybe 4 rides/50 miles on them. Great cornering, great grip. Not super fast but not anchors I currently have them un-tubed at 28 front 30 back and I'm going to start experimenting with lowering pressures.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bgar15 View Post
    I have a Trek X-Caliber 8 and absolutely hate the stock Bontrager XR-2 tires that came with my 29er. They aren't grippy enough for the trails I ride (Rockland, Tyler Mill, West Rock State park, Trumbull, etc.).

What tires do you run on your bike?

I'm leaning towards 2.3 Maxxis High Roller II in the front and Ardent 2.25 in the rear. My only concern is if the HR will fit in the front or not...

What do you guys think?
    I have been riding the HR2's for a year now. Front and rear. Excellent choice for all those trails. No complaints except for the weight, they are heavier than the Specialized rubber that came on my Stumpjumper.

I am going to give the Nobby Nic's a try next year if/when these HR2's wear out. They are holding up very well.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thefriar View Post
    If your trails have roots and those roots sweat or get greasy, the MKII, even with Black Chili, is a disaster of a tire.
    Honestly, I don't think the MK IIs were all that great in dry conditions either.

In addition to the DHF/DHR II combo that I'm riding now, I've only had three other sets of tires on my bike. It came with Specialized Captain Control 2.0, I replaced them with Bontrager XR4 2.35, which was a great grippy tire in New England, then replaced those with The Conti MK II. The Contis were by far the worst of the bunch for traction. DHF/DHR have been the best followed by the Bontragers.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokee300 View Post
    Very happy to hear this. I have a pair mounted up (the same way you do) Looking forward to the 1st ride tomorrow AM. What rims are you using?
    Mounted to e13 trs+ aluminum wheelset. Could not be happier!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Mounted to e13 trs+ aluminum wheelset. Could not be happier!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Very cool, mine are on Arch MK3's. I'm really, really liking them.

mdc
    mtbr member
    In my opinion Conti tires blow ( literally- the side walls suck), Schwalbe's are awesome when they are new, but wear out fast and are pricey. Bontrager XR tires are really good for a race set up or for most trail rides ( XR4 front and XR3 rear is pretty nice). But my current set up is Maxis Minnion DHF front and rear- not the lightest or fastest, but traction and confidence for days. They are also burly and have nice stiff sidewalls for park days etc....

Good Luck!

mtbr member
    After about 50+ miles, I am really loving the Maxxis DHF/DHR combo.

Yesterday, Case Mountain trails were buried in leaves and the tires still gripped nearly everything underneath. I had one or two spinouts because of the leaves, but nowhere near as many as my co-riders. The traction is awesome.

mtbr member
    e13 TRS tires holding up like champs. On my second rear tire still on first front.

mtbr member
    Had good luck with Maxxis HR2's and WTB Bronson's running tubeless about 22lbs. GREAT grip on everything...HUGE difference when you get tires that are the right tool for the job! The sidewalls are the weak link for the riding I do in CT (Case, Greyville, Mooween, Rockland, Nathan Hale, Crandall) so I prefer to go with a heavier tire with robust sidewalls. I will say the Bronson's seem to have a little less sidewall life than the Maxxis did. I usually swap front/rear after a couple of months to even out sidewall and tread wear. Otherwise, rear will always go way before front.
    12 Santa Cruz Heckler
    18 Kona Process 153 AL/DL (27.5)...