Zero rise, 800mm, 35mm alu. bars?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Zero rise, 800mm, 35mm alu. bars?

Looking for some quality zero rise, 800+mm width, 35mm clamp diameter, aluminum bars, and my Internet-fu is failing me.

mtbr member

mbtr member
    Quote Originally Posted by b rock View Post
    Looking for some quality zero rise, 800+mm width, 35mm clamp diameter, aluminum bars, and my Internet-fu is failing me.
    My qbp-fu shows the renthal fatbar and race face turbine R; both are 10mm rise. Q doesn't stock any flat/800/35mm bars. They have a flat whisky 9 carbon bar in 840.

For whatever that's worth.
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

mtbr member
    Thanks for the recommendations. It's looking like, if I want to stick with aluminum, the closest I can get, with brands I am familiar with, is:
    * zero rise
    * 780mm width
    * 31.8mm clamp

I would buy a new stem (currently have 35mm) and encapsulated lock on grips, which I would slide out 10mm on each side (which I am not excited to do, but it would get me to 800mm, zero rise).

mbtr member
    Thanks for the recommendations. It's looking like, if I want to stick with aluminum, the closest I can get, with brands I am familiar with, is:
    * zero rise
    * 780mm width
    * 31.8mm clamp

I would buy a new stem (currently have 35mm) and encapsulated lock on grips, which I would slide out 10mm on each side (which I am not excited to do, but it would get me to 800mm, zero rise).
    Needing a 800/flat is odd when there are 780/flat and 800/10 options. Like, if you're short enough where 10mm of rise kills you... 780 seems like it'd be ok. Conversely, if you're big enough 780 just doesn't work... 10mm rise seems like a benefit.

I'm curious why it's gotta be 800/flat.
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

mtbr member
    My main goal is to bias more weight onto my front wheel, on a bike that otherwise fits well, but has a tall headtube, while simultaneously working on my flexibility and attack position form (which I understand is likely the majority of the problem). I am trying to do everything I can to prevent more front wheel washout crashes when descending.

800mm: I'm tall enough that picking an XL frame was a no brainer (from a company where that is the largest size). I have 760 right now, but 800mm seems more appropriate for my height, and may help my goal to bias more weight forward.

zero rise: I've slammed my stem already, so I want to do all I can to reduce the height my hands grab the bars, since the headtube is taller (170 height) than a lot of other 27.5 XL frames, and the effect of this tending to bias weight back has been noticed by a few reviewers.

I could consider a negative rise stem too, but I know that can affect reach, and I wasn't sure how many things I wanted to change at once.

mbtr member

I could consider a negative rise stem too, but I know that can affect reach, and I wasn't sure how many things I wanted to change at once.
    It doesn't really affect reach, it affects stem length. Reach is a sort of arbitrary measure, it's just the best/understood one at this moment. Front-center is the dimension to watch.

FWIW, i'm 6'3, and while i definitely prefer 780 to 760, 780 vs 800 is a wash, and i didn't see any benefit in going >800 - it just got more cumbersome. Also, at our height a couple psi in the shock can make a disproportionate difference.

Good luck with the hunt- i just mention that stuff because you're looking for a very rare handlebar.
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scottzg View Post
    It doesn't really affect reach, it affects stem length. Reach is a sort of arbitrary measure, it's just the best/understood one at this moment. Front-center is the dimension to watch.

FWIW, i'm 6'3, and while i definitely prefer 780 to 760, 780 vs 800 is a wash, and i didn't see any benefit in going >800 - it just got more cumbersome. Also, at our height a couple psi in the shock can make a disproportionate difference.

Good luck with the hunt- i just mention that stuff because you're looking for a very rare handlebar.
    Right on, it sounds like we may have some similar bike fit parameters. I think I will go with the Fatbar Lite 0mm Rise 780mm and a -6 degree 31.8 stem to replace my 760/20mm rise and 35mm clamp 0 rise stem. I will have to revisit my fork pressure too, I probably went up a few psi in the last few months.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004

Zero rise, 800mm, 35mm alu. bars?

Bar width is 20% body size, 80% taste/preference. You know what you want.

Kore Torsion is 800mm, 35mm clamp, available in zero rise, and is pretty cheap. Not light, though. I ran the 31.8 version for many years, though cut down a bit.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.