Xfusion Manic : Real world reviews- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2016

Xfusion Manic : Real world reviews

Looks like a pretty nice dropper for those in a market for a 125mm dropper post, that is home mechanic serviceable

Would like to hear some real world feedback and where I cant get my hands on one

http://www.xfusionshox.com/products/seat-posts/manic

https://nsmb.com/articles/x-fusion-making-bikes-sane-again/

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Reviews anyone? Bueller?

Universal Cycles has them listed on their website....

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I bought two of them. Thumbs up from me. The lever is awesome and super easy to press. Post is smooth up and down and there is a nice clunk at top out. Don't really think they can be beat for the price as long as you're good with 125mm. Main reason I got it was for easy and cheap cartridge replacement but have not had to test that yet.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    How long have you had them, how much use and abuse? Any negatives?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Only have had 5ish rides on each so can't speak to durability. Smoother (less binding) and lever is so much better than a reverb for example. Also like it better than Doss

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Just got one yesterday. Been home sick with strep throat so hoping to get to installing it this weekend. It feels amazingly smooth and the remote is one of the nicest ive seen.

I have 2 x fusion HILO
    1 x fusion HILO strate
    and 2 reverbs.

Very excited to get this manic rolling. The original hilo's have been going strong for a year but will probably need servicing soon. My hilo strate never worked properly and unfotunately is not user serviceable. It has been collecting dust for months.

Ive rebuilt both of my reverbs but its honestly not worth my time to ever do again. I would much rather replace them with a $200 manic than ever waste time on them i could be riding. And a lot of these posts cost $100+ to get a service center to rebuild. If you choose the send the manic off, it will only cost $60

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Kikoraa, that's funny you say about the reverb. I ordered the manics right after I serviced my reverb for the first time. I said to myself that never again in my life do I want to do that lol, and for context I'm someone who is more than comfortable tuning shim stacks and building wheels.

The sweet thing with the manic is you can order the cartridge for 25$ shipped and it's super easy to change out yourself.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I hear you. I service all of mine and my gf's forks/shocks. Never got into tuning besides oil and volume spacers. I can build wheels and service hubs. The reverb was way too involved but they work now (phew). I'm almost tempted to rebuild one i have sitting as i do have the new IFP and new USH and collar. I would just sell it and put it towards another manic, lol.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    So got it installed. This post is one of the smoothest feeling posts I've ever used. Here's to seeing it's longevity. I hope x fusion puts out some service interval charts or things to look for when a cartridge replacement is needed.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Just sold my rebuilt reverb to put towards a 2nd manic for another bike. In love with this post

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    where does it show owner serviceable ? X-fusion website service vids don't show any service vids for this dropper

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    It's so new, and x fusion just closed their service center, it may be a while before we see docs. They contract service out to MAD suspension racing. It's run by a former employee of x fusion Mike Davis. From what I know, it's a matter of unthreading the collar, and swapping a cartridge ($30ish) and that's that. I plan to call and get more detailed info when the time comes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I went ahead ad emailed x fusion. Asked about tech videos or docs and what the process was. Also asked about seals. Here are his responses. Great to hear! Will never own another reverb.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    thanks for the reviews guys! Time to start saving those pennies

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    I've had one a couple months and have at least 20 rides on it. It's very smooth and I've had 0 issues with it so far.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Take caution not to tighten your seat post clamp too tight. I've always heard it can mess with a dropper but I've never experienced it until today.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Just wanted to bump this. I now have a month and a dozen or so rides on a 125mm Manic. Love it! Infinitely better saddle clamp than my KS LEV. Much better remote than my Reverb, and a decent improvement over the KS. I went with this over the almost $100 worth of parts/tools it was going to require for rebuilding my Reverb and couldn't be happier.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Has anyone found a 150mm for sale or know when they will be available?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I just ordered a 150mm from my LBS. I have no experience with it at this point. Anyone know where/how to order replacement cartridges for this post? I emailed x0fusion a few weeks ago to ask but haven't received a response.

mtbr member
    I've had my manic for about 3 months now and the dropper functions smoothly. I do get a clunk from the seat mounting hardware as I move forward and backwards on the seat. Ive tried two different seats (neither of which make a noise on my RS seatpost) so I've rule out the seat as the problem. I've tried lightly greasing all of the metal on metal parts of the seat mounting hardware and that does not seem to make a difference. Anyone else experience this? Any fixes?
    Last edited by noosa2; 08-05-2018 at 10:25 AM.

mtbr member
    Anyone know where you can buy new seat rail clamp parts for the manic? Or if any other brands parts seat rail clamp parts will work on the manic?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I'm 5'10" 32"inseam. I'm on a bike with 7.5" from top of seat tube to the bend. With the included seatpost (350mm) I'm need another .5" to ride xc style with a slight knee bend. I'm wondering if this seatpost would fit my bike and along with a long enough extension. I'm more xc/trail - not enduro. Any advice for a newbie with seat-dropper? Thanks.

SRAM Eagle Full Suspension 29er Mountain Bikes Save Up to 60% Off 29er 120mmTravel All Mountain SRAM Eagle 1x12 , 2019 Motobecane HAL29 NX EAGLE 1X12 29er Full Suspension Mountain Bikes SRAM Eagle 1x12 Speed Shimano XT Hydraulic Disc Brakes Rockshox

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Truevine77 View Post
    I'm 5'10" 32"inseam. I'm on a bike with 7.5" from top of seat tube to the bend. With the included seatpost (350mm) I'm need another .5" to ride xc style with a slight knee bend. I'm wondering if this seatpost would fit my bike and along with a long enough extension. I'm more xc/trail - not enduro. Any advice for a newbie with seat-dropper? Thanks.

SRAM Eagle Full Suspension 29er Mountain Bikes Save Up to 60% Off 29er 120mmTravel All Mountain SRAM Eagle 1x12 , 2019 Motobecane HAL29 NX EAGLE 1X12 29er Full Suspension Mountain Bikes SRAM Eagle 1x12 Speed Shimano XT Hydraulic Disc Brakes Rockshox
    Here's a couple of tests showing dropper posts overall lengths, insertion depths, and other measurements that should help.

https://www.vitalmtb.com/features/Vi...per-Posts,1762

https://enduro-mtb.com/en/ten-dropper-post-test/

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by noosa2 View Post
    Anyone know where you can buy new seat rail clamp parts for the manic? Or if any other brands parts seat rail clamp parts will work on the manic?
    You need a couple measurements. The 7.5" you mentioned.
    Measure from the top of the seat post to the middle of seat rail when you put your seatpost exactly where you want it.

So there are two things to check for a new seatpost.
    1) That you can put the post far enough in without it hitting the bend.
    2) That you can put the post far enough in without hitting the seat post collar.

To check #1:
    Full length of 150mm Manic post is 490mm=19.29"
    If 19.29-second measurement is less that 7.5" you are good.

To check #2:
    Collar to rail on Xfusion 150mm is 198mm=7.8"
    If your second measurement is great than that you are good.

If these checks don't work then check it with the 125mm Manic or a different dropper.
    kwapi listed good places to compare and get measurements.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Fitted a 150mm one the other day. Cable clamp design is identical to a KS LEV and action also feels the same, very smooth and solid. Using the KS Southpaw lever but the X-Fusion supplied one looks pretty good. Will see how it holds up

Up In Smoke
    My manic wonít lock into either the up or down position. What should I do? When I stand up the seat shoots up and when I sit on the saddle it drops.

mtbr member
    How long have you had it? Warranty is two years. Might be time for a service? This should be done once a year or 200 hours.

Up In Smoke
    Iíve had it two days, but the bike is a Ď13 giant trance... I adjusted the wires and it seems to be working good. Turns out Iím a total bafoon... please void all of my posts

mtbr member
    I've had mine on for a couple of weeks now and am really liking it so far. Operation is nice and smooth.

No problems yet riding in the PacNorthWet.
    Riding Washington State singletrack since 1986

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Mine has been good for a year but I still havenít found the replacement air can anywhere. Any peeps know where to get one or have experience dealing with xfusion for warranty or part support issues? I have an email in with the US distributor but have heard nothing.
    15 nomad c
    16 skookum

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Several of the lower end spec Stumpjumpers came spec'd with the 150mm Manic. Mine has been working out great since I got it in July 2018. It wasn't until the wet weather recently hit in Norther California that it started feeling slightly gritty. Having said that, it stays at full height and all the way down reliably!

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Pitted View Post
    Mine has been good for a year but I still havenít found the replacement air can anywhere. Any peeps know where to get one or have experience dealing with xfusion for warranty or part support issues? I have an email in with the US distributor but have heard nothing.
    Is this the part you're looking for?

https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...MaAoCHEALw_wcB

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Heard back from Mike at mad suspension who does have the cartridge in stock, so Iíd say Iím more than satisfied with the post as well as xfusion customer service.
    15 nomad c
    16 skookum

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I've had a KS Lev, Manic, SDG Tellis, and now have a Trans X I just got. The Manic was by far my favorite of the first three. Loved it. We'll see how the Trans X compares this year.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    So I've had my 170mm xfusion manic since August 2018 it came on my comp alloy.

Has anyone had issues with the seat rising by itself every few times being pushed down? I suspect it's either something strange with cable length/tension and/or issue with the cartridge. Adjusting the barrel adjuster seems to help a little bit not completely.

I've taken everything apart, cleaned all the mechanism at the bottom of the post, over replaced the cable multiple times I've even switched to a PNW loam lever! Still end up with randomly having the post raise on itself and sometimes lower 1inch when I sit on it...

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by wired00 View Post
    So I've had my 170mm xfusion manic since August 2018 it came on my comp alloy.

Has anyone had issues with the seat rising by itself every few times being pushed down? I suspect it's either something strange with cable length/tension and/or issue with the cartridge. Adjusting the barrel adjuster seems to help a little bit not completely.

I've taken everything apart, cleaned all the mechanism at the bottom of the post, over replaced the cable multiple times I've even switched to a PNW loam lever! Still end up with randomly having the post raise on itself and sometimes lower 1inch when I sit on it...
    Make sure that the cable and housing aren't being pulled in some weird way and that you have plenty of length. If that is correct, and you can pull the post and see that cable tension is correctly set, then it is time to replace the cartridge.

A post that has issues with raising and lowering due to how weight is put on it needs a new cartridge (assuming everything else is fine). Sounds like you have eliminated all the variables here.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by richulr View Post
    I've had a KS Lev, Manic, SDG Tellis, and now have a Trans X I just got. The Manic was by far my favorite of the first three. Loved it. We'll see how the Trans X compares this year.
    I've had a couple Trans X posts and they function quite reliably, and are low maintenance, but don't rebound as quickly as the Manic. The Manic is the winner imo.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    My Stumpjumper came with the xfusion. Worked well initially. I am a heavy rider and the post started binding on me after a couple of months. The post was replaced under warranty. My LBS talked with Manic and they recommended a post with a stronger alloy.

Post was installed and I rode it for a couple of more months. Same thing started happening. I knew the issue was my weight. Kitted out I was ~285.

I ordered a Bachelor from PNW and had LBS swap the posts. I have had no issues the rest of the summer. I will have to say that I have lost about 25-30lbs so that has helped a lot.

I think the xfusion dropper is a well made dropper just not suited for a larger riders.

I talked with PNW before I ordered the bachelor and they assured me that it was tested to 275 lbs.

Randy Mann
    Specialized Stumpjumper ST Comp Carbon 29