WTB Volt or Rocket v- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 38 of 38
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    27

    WTB Volt or Rocket v

    Any body use or have both...which do you prefer

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: elcaro1101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    509
    Rocket will have more padding and a deeper channel groove. I Use the Rocket SLT/TI on both my bikes and it has served me very well. They can be had in pretty much the same widths, so its just a choice of how much padding you feel you need. WTB also has a test program, a local dealer should have a wall of black/yellow saddles so you can try before you buy.
    Intense Spider29 / Motobecane FlyTi29

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    970
    Last year, I rented a MTB with ate Rocket V. I liked it enough to buy it.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ScottW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,277
    I have both and prefer the Volt. The Rocket is comfortable but has a little more upsweep and the back of the saddle, the volt is flatter across the top.

  5. #5
    since 4/10/2009
    Reputation: Harold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    29,316
    Buy the one that fits you better. Find a saddle demo at a shop.

    I don't like the upsweep shape to a saddle. I prefer one with a flatter profile. I'm currently using a Volt on my bike.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    27
    Thanks Harold was noticing in your profile you have Brown County in it. I'm out of Louisville are their any maps of the trail system for brown county and is it very technical looking for more flow as I get better on the bike I. A noob
    Thanks

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    3,506
    I have both and prefer the Rocket. The deeper channel is easier on my taint and the upsweep at the back helps me find & stay in the right position on the saddle. With the Volt I'm never sure if I'm too far forward, too far back, or in the right spot, I find myself shifting forward and back a lot during a ride while trying to find the sweet spot. The Rocket is pretty much bam, locked in, feels good.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    27
    I was wondering and I'm a noob so forgive me if it's dumb question. But my local riding area you move around a lot on the saddle from tight switchbacks between trees climbs with some down hill flow so is there any benefit to being able to move around a bit in the saddle

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: c8stom's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    429
    My recent purchase came with a Rocket V throw in. After growing pains using the narrowest size for 3 weeks, I switched to medium for a further 3 but pains continued despite my actual size being in the middle of S/M. Both S/M should have been ok according to the fitter. However, not with my butt. I now use a Bontrager RXL carbon (M) which is super light and comfy and yet does not inhibit any movement. It's the closest thing to the classic and superb Selle Flite Ti which my fellow riders used for over a decade.

    Try to buy from somewhere with a decent exchange policy period.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    736
    I have the Devo.. Also fairly flat/ not much of a tail like other wtb models.. It's firm but very comfortable.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ColinL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    3,839
    I find them both to be ass-hatchets, and prefer the Silverado or Vigo.

  12. #12
    since 4/10/2009
    Reputation: Harold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    29,316
    Quote Originally Posted by GregQ View Post
    Thanks Harold was noticing in your profile you have Brown County in it. I'm out of Louisville are their any maps of the trail system for brown county and is it very technical looking for more flow as I get better on the bike I. A noob
    Thanks
    There are a lot of trails in Brown County...not just within the park. Some are more flowy. Others more technical and chunky. Some outside the park are old school backcountry trails.

    There are maps all over. I have a client paying me to develop one of the region, not just the park. Mtbproject has the park and some of the stuff outside it but not all of it.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    There are a lot of trails in Brown County...not just within the park. Some are more flowy. Others more technical and chunky. Some outside the park are old school backcountry trails.

    There are maps all over. I have a client paying me to develop one of the region, not just the park. Mtbproject has the park and some of the stuff outside it but not all of it.
    Thanks man trying to get in shape for the short loop of the brown co epic. I'll look a mtbproject are the trails fairly well marked for a first timer

  14. #14
    since 4/10/2009
    Reputation: Harold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    29,316
    The trails are well marked but have lots of intersections. Carry a map with you. Only verizon supplies halfway reliable cell service there.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    The trails are well marked but have lots of intersections. Carry a map with you. Only verizon supplies halfway reliable cell service there.
    Thanks man👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼

  16. #16
    Don't Tread on Me
    Reputation: Lopaka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    932
    I own both and they both suck. I put them on loaner bikes I will never ride.
    Consciousness, that annoying time between bike rides.

  17. #17
    GONE
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    25,200
    Quote Originally Posted by ColinL View Post
    I find them both to be ass-hatchets, and prefer the Silverado or Vigo.
    I have a Vigo and love it but they are all gone now. Does WTB have a replacement model???

  18. #18
    Super Moderator SuperModerator
    Reputation: AVL-MTB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    2,142
    I used the basic Volt. Not impressed. It sucked for me. I found the gavin gel saddle way softer.

  19. #19
    I didn't do it
    Reputation: Mookie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    9,465
    Greg, neither saddle may work for you so don't lock yourself into just two choices.
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted
    Remember, commas save lives

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by Mookie View Post
    Greg, neither saddle may work for you so don't lock yourself into just two choices.
    Yeah I know trying to base it on reviews and hope I get lucky I have two LBS one is trek dealer so they carry Bontrager and the other caries Scott and Fizik so much more available online but just like shoes you don't know till you put them on
    Thanks

  21. #21
    I didn't do it
    Reputation: Mookie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    9,465
    Quote Originally Posted by GregQ View Post
    Yeah I know trying to base it on reviews and hope I get lucky I have two LBS one is trek dealer so they carry Bontrager and the other caries Scott and Fizik so much more available online but just like shoes you don't know till you put them on
    Thanks
    Exactly.
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted
    Remember, commas save lives

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: c8stom's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    429
    Quote Originally Posted by GregQ View Post
    Yeah I know trying to base it on reviews and hope I get lucky I have two LBS one is trek dealer so they carry Bontrager and the other caries Scott and Fizik so much more available online but just like shoes you don't know till you put them on
    Thanks
    Bontrager saddles are awesome. They are functional saddles made for sitting in, not looking at.

    Get yourself down to your trek lbs and you'll search for a saddle will end there, me thinks

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    2,790
    Quote Originally Posted by GregQ View Post
    ...I'm out of Louisville are their any maps of the trail system for brown county and is it very technical looking for more flow as I get better on the bike I....
    I'm 15 miles east of BCSP and ride there often. The trails are a mix of beginner through expert levels. Some are rocky and technical while others flow. All of them are very well laid out and a blast to ride. As advised, take a map. The pamphlet given out at the gatehouse has a map that will show you the way as long as you check it at intersections so you know where you are. After a couple of times out there, you won't need the map.

    The best way to get ready to ride BCSP is to go ride it. You can easily make a ride as long or short as you like.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    I'm 15 miles east of BCSP and ride there often. The trails are a mix of beginner through expert levels. Some are rocky and technical while others flow. All of them are very well laid out and a blast to ride. As advised, take a map. The pamphlet given out at the gatehouse has a map that will show you the way as long as you check it at intersections so you know where you are. After a couple of times out there, you won't need the map.

    The best way to get ready to ride BCSP is to go ride it. You can easily make a ride as long or short as you like.
    Yeah I plan on getting up there in the next few weeks just putting in ride miles right now trying to get my legs back under me 😂😂

  25. #25
    since 4/10/2009
    Reputation: Harold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    29,316
    Quote Originally Posted by c8stom View Post
    Bontrager saddles are awesome. They are functional saddles made for sitting in, not looking at.

    Get yourself down to your trek lbs and you'll search for a saddle will end there, me thinks
    Bad advice. YOU cannot know what saddle HE will like.

  26. #26
    since 4/10/2009
    Reputation: Harold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    29,316
    Quote Originally Posted by GregQ View Post
    Yeah I plan on getting up there in the next few weeks just putting in ride miles right now trying to get my legs back under me 😂😂
    Hope like hell it stops raining for a little while so things can dry out.

  27. #27
    since 4/10/2009
    Reputation: Harold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    29,316
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    I'm 15 miles east of BCSP and ride there often.
    We haven't met, have we? I always seem to run into people I know when I ride there.

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    Hope like hell it stops raining for a little while so things can dry out.
    Same here 👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼 waverly park is like 5 mins from my house and every time I have time it freaking rains👎🏼👎🏼

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Burt4x4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    1,748
    Volt Race 150mm
    WTB Volt or Rocket v-img_0339.jpg
    WTB Volt or Rocket v-img_0353.jpg

    So far It feels like a good fit @ 150mm, I have aprox. 145mm sit bones and was riding on a 135mm saddle so I'm hopeing this is better.

    RIDE!!!!
    Ride MORE = Live Longer
    Love Dirt / Hate Pavement

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ColinL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    3,839
    Quote Originally Posted by Burt4x4 View Post
    Volt Race 150mm

    So far It feels like a good fit @ 150mm, I have aprox. 145mm sit bones and was riding on a 135mm saddle so I'm hopeing this is better.
    That looks like the replacement for the Vigo. The Vigo was their only mid-width MTB saddle. The Rocket is extremely narrow and the standard Volt only slightly less so... but a 150mm Volt sounds viable.

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Burt4x4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    1,748
    Quote Originally Posted by ColinL View Post
    That looks like the replacement for the Vigo. The Vigo was their only mid-width MTB saddle. The Rocket is extremely narrow and the standard Volt only slightly less so... but a 150mm Volt sounds viable.
    When I was looking online at the available saddle selection across all the mfg line ups... not very many "wide" 150mm+ selections to choose from. It also seamed that most wide saddles were $120+ price range.. boooo!!
    This Volt was $53
    WTB Volt or Rocket v-img_0350.jpg
    Ride MORE = Live Longer
    Love Dirt / Hate Pavement

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,326
    Some people mentioned cushion as being better. I dont agree, if you are sitting on your seat properly only your sit bones are really contacting and even a hard shell will be comfortable.

    I like my volt, but would probably like any seat where my sit bones are positioned properly.

    I also have a tioga spider d which is just plastic. Not that expensive, super light and as comfortable as a padded seat.

    Also the channel seems like a gimmick as when your sit bones are in the right place, your junk doesnt press against the seat.

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    27
    You can get the

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Burt4x4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    1,748
    Quote Originally Posted by GregQ View Post
    You can get the
    Did you passs out? haha ha
    Ride MORE = Live Longer
    Love Dirt / Hate Pavement

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    27
    @bert4x4 stupid phone froze lol. What I was going to say is that you can get the rocket in 150 mm also

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Burt4x4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    1,748
    Ahh gotcha, yeah I did see that too, thanks. The rocket looks like a good choice too, flip a coin I suppose. Volt is def more streamline, less curvy.
    Time will Tell!
    bUrt
    Ride MORE = Live Longer
    Love Dirt / Hate Pavement

  37. #37
    29ers Forever
    Reputation: CannondaleF9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    3,399
    I love WTB saddles,
    I have a Silverado Comp, a Volt Comp, and a Pure V Race. I used to like my bike set up like a weight weenie racerboy would. Low, narrow bars, tall gearing and a thin saddle.
    But now I like more of a trail setup and my rear end is thanking me. I ditched the Silverado for a Pure V on my 29er and it was one of the best decisions I have ever made. That saddle is so comfortable and I have lost no efficiency on the climbs.
    The Volt is on my roadie, and it is a nice saddle for dirt road rides, not narrow but not too wide. It is nicer than the Bontrager that came on the bike.
    Dropping into a trail

    2019 Rocky Mountain Instinct A50 BC
    2019 Salsa Timberjack SLX
    2014 Trek Crossrip Elite

  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    920
    Quote Originally Posted by GregQ View Post
    @bert4x4 stupid phone froze lol. What I was going to say is that you can get the rocket in 150 mm also
    Yep. This year, WTB began making a number of their saddles in different widths.

Similar Threads

  1. Cateye Volt 1200
    By mb323323 in forum Lights and Night Riding
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-20-2014, 08:50 AM
  2. WTB Volt Team Saddle $59.00
    By stickman83 in forum Where are the Best Deals?
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-20-2013, 09:47 PM
  3. WTB Volt saddle?
    By Noclutch in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 06-27-2012, 02:35 PM
  4. Rocket Ron UST vs Rocket Ron Tubeless Ready
    By kidtrailboss in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-03-2011, 07:38 PM
  5. Magic shine on 12 volt
    By ct_racer in forum Lights DIY - Do It Yourself
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 03-31-2011, 11:22 AM

Members who have read this thread: 21

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.