Works angleset- Mtbr.com

Thread: Works angleset

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Works angleset

Looking for some assistance on a work components angle set.

I installed it for the instructions. when I put my fork back in I noticed there is a bigger gap towards the back versus the front. I used the crown race that came with the works component headset. It actually slipped onto the fork pretty easily. I do get some creaking from the front end I'm thinking it's probably because of this gap. This is a negative 2 degree angle set. Zero stack upper and External cup lower on a straight 49 headtube.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Elitest thrill junkie
    Well if it slipped on, that's definitely a red flag. I thought my headset was bad, but it turned out to be my fork crown-steerer interface that was creaking. I only have a 1 degree Works. It looks totally flush to me.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Well if it slipped on, that's definitely a red flag. I thought my headset was bad, but it turned out to be my fork crown-steerer interface that was creaking. I only have a 1 degree Works. It looks totally flush to me.
    The crown races that come with the works headsets have a "split". They are designed to be installed without tools. I'm not sure that's a red flag.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by mobilenemo View Post
    Looking for some assistance on a work components angle set.

I installed it for the instructions. when I put my fork back in I noticed there is a bigger gap towards the back versus the front. I used the crown race that came with the works component headset. It actually slipped onto the fork pretty easily. I do get some creaking from the front end I'm thinking it's probably because of this gap. This is a negative 2 degree angle set. Zero stack upper and External cup lower on a straight 49 headtube.

Are you sure the cups are aligned properly? Is there any binding in the headset? Are you sure that you chose the right cups for your frame (the cups are specific to a narrow range of headtube lengths). If all that checks out, and the only issue is the visual discrepancy in gaps front to back, I wouldn't worry about it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I appreciate the responses.

I ordered the correct headset. The bike has a straight 49 headtube and measured 118mm tall. The size i ordered fits between 116 to 123mm. Zero stack upper and external cup Lower for a tapered steerer. Fork is tapered.

The upper bearing has a much tighter fit in the cup vs the lower bearing. The upper bearing is tight enough that I needed to tap the bearing out from the bottom for removal. The bottom bearing can be pulled out easily by hand.

There's no binding when rotating the handle bars, it's all smooth.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by mobilenemo View Post
    I appreciate the responses.

I ordered the correct headset. The bike has a straight 49 headtube and measured 118mm tall. The size i ordered fits between 116 to 123mm. Zero stack upper and external cup Lower for a tapered steerer. Fork is tapered.

The upper bearing has a much tighter fit in the cup vs the lower bearing. The upper bearing is tight enough that I needed to tap the bearing out from the bottom for removal. The bottom bearing can be pulled out easily by hand.

There's no binding when rotating the handle bars, it's all smooth.

How bad is the creaking? Have you applied grease to everything? I'd grease the cups before reinstalling the bearings, grease the csu before reinstalling the crown race, and grease the crown race before reinstalling the fork into the headset.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    When I installed mine the bearings sat VERY tight in the cups. They were so tight that I thought to myself that they were going to be extremely hard to get out when itís time to replace them.
    Things definitely donít look right and creaking is a sign of an issue. Remove and reinstall?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I reached out and sent photos to works components. They said the install looks ok and are sending a replacement lower cup.

Attached are photos of the initial install. I greased up all the parts during installation

mtbr member
    May 2020
    What bike is that? I dont recognize the logo.

Ive been looking for straight 49 headtube frames and its impossible to search for frames based on headtube dimension. Everything I find tends to be tapered.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiterabbitt View Post
    What bike is that? I dont recognize the logo.

Ive been looking for straight 49 headtube frames and its impossible to search for frames based on headtube dimension. Everything I find tends to be tapered.
    Its an older Knolly (all the newer ones have a 44mm upper 56mm lower tapered headtube)

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    It's a knolly chilcotin.