Works Angle Headset Question- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2019

Works Angle Headset Question

Hello! Is this Works 1.5 degree angle headset https://www.fanatikbike.com/products...nt=39324610883 compatible with my 2019 Specialized Stumpjumper Expert 29 (Large) https://www.specialized.com/us/en/me...rt-29/p/154958?

mtbr member
    I think not. I believe the SJ has an integrated headset meaning the cartridge bearings sit directly in the head tube and not in Zero Stack cups that press in.
    What, me worry?

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Dang ok. What about offset bushings? Do you think that would be worth it or would it make the shock feel weird?

C__Corax
    Sep 2009
    shoot works a email, I bet they might be able to tell you what would work
    on your bike cycle.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jtkyber View Post
    Dang ok. What about offset bushings? Do you think that would be worth it or would it make the shock feel weird?
    since the SJ uses a yoke/clevis setup, you can only put the offset bushing in the top eyelet of the shock where it hooks to the top tube. There doesn't seem to be a ton of room there. For me, I would not do this because the SJ has a pretty slack seat tube angle to begin with, so any perceived gains in performance for the slacker head tube angle is going to be offset by the hit you take to the seat tube angle.

Besides, you're going to get at most, a change of .3-.5 of head tube angle from it... that's not going to do much of anything. Just ride the bike as is. FWIW, I have a short travel bike with a 66.5 HTA and a megatower with a 65 hta. The HTA isn't what I notice between the two bikes but rather the wheelbase adding to the stability.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by minimusprime View Post
    since the SJ uses a yoke/clevis setup, you can only put the offset bushing in the top eyelet of the shock where it hooks to the top tube. There doesn't seem to be a ton of room there. For me, I would not do this because the SJ has a pretty slack seat tube angle to begin with, so any perceived gains in performance for the slacker head tube angle is going to be offset by the hit you take to the seat tube angle.

Besides, you're going to get at most, a change of .3-.5 of head tube angle from it... that's not going to do much of anything. Just ride the bike as is. FWIW, I have a short travel bike with a 66.5 HTA and a megatower with a 65 hta. The HTA isn't what I notice between the two bikes but rather the wheelbase adding to the stability.
    Yeah, being that this is already a 29er, it's not suffering from stability or "wheel-catcher" issues in terrain.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Thanks for the input guys! I'll just continue riding it stock. The bike feels great and is super fun to ride how it is. I just wanted to see what it felt like with a slacker ht angle since I'll be using it to race downhill. I'm sure it will be fine, especially being a 29er.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Whoa, whoa, whoa telling someone not to tinker on their bike? What has happened to MTBR?

I say go for it and while you are at it increase your travel in the Pike. It is what I did and now I am sooooo much faster, at least in my head.

Seriously though, if you have the time and money why not? At least you will know if you like it or not. You can always go back.

I have the Stumpy Coil so started with a 67 HTA, 150/135m Travel

I ordered one Offset bushing (as everything said above about Angles headets and clevis shock is correct for the SJ). Offest Bushings has great customer service btw and can answer any questions you have.

I also sent my Ohlins Coil in for service and had them increase the travel to 160mm. So by increasing travel and using one Offset Bushing I basically came out SOMEHWHAT neutral on the geo, but slackened my HTA a full degree.

I had room to slam my stem more so that helped with reducing the increase in stack and decrease in reach.

You even have 5mm more rear travel so you won't be as overforked as I am at 160mm. You know just incase you have to defend your decision on the interwebs.

You can do all this for $50 if you do it yourself. Pretty cheap and fun way to experiment.

Here is a basic look at what happened to my bike. Mostly all positives in my opinion.

Name:  Screen Shot 2020-02-28 at 8.36.16 AM.png
Views: 75
Size:  59.4 KB

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by yourrealdad View Post
    Whoa, whoa, whoa telling someone not to tinker on their bike? What has happened to MTBR?

I say go for it and while you are at it increase your travel in the Pike. It is what I did and now I am sooooo much faster, at least in my head.

Seriously though, if you have the time and money why not? At least you will know if you like it or not. You can always go back.

I have the Stumpy Coil so started with a 67 HTA, 150/135m Travel

I ordered one Offset bushing (as everything said above about Angles headets and clevis shock is correct for the SJ). Offest Bushings has great customer service btw and can answer any questions you have.

I also sent my Ohlins Coil in for service and had them increase the travel to 160mm. So by increasing travel and using one Offset Bushing I basically came out SOMEHWHAT neutral on the geo, but slackened my HTA a full degree.

I had room to slam my stem more so that helped with reducing the increase in stack and decrease in reach.

You even have 5mm more rear travel so you won't be as overforked as I am at 160mm. You know just incase you have to defend your decision on the interwebs.

You can do all this for $50 if you do it yourself. Pretty cheap and fun way to experiment.

Here is a basic look at what happened to my bike. Mostly all positives in my opinion.

Name:  Screen Shot 2020-02-28 at 8.36.16 AM.png
Views: 75
Size:  59.4 KB
    Awesome! I think I'll go ahead and give it a shot! Where can I find that nice calculator you included?

mtbr member
    May 2012

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by yourrealdad View Post
    Thanks! Just ordered an offset bushing! Did you notice an increase in pedal strikes because of the lowered BB?

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jtkyber View Post
    Thanks! Just ordered an offset bushing! Did you notice an increase in pedal strikes because of the lowered BB?
    I have not. I ride CB Stamp Large on it.

Do notice though that theoretically my BB height increased by roughly 2.5mm because of the increase in travel. If I hadn't then it only would have dropped around 1mm. Both numbers are insignificant in my mind for pedal strikes.