Why can't they build a simple, relatively cheap 1 lb dropper post?- Mtbr.com
    Maxxis cult follower

Why can't they build a simple, relatively cheap 1 lb dropper post?

I have two identical dropper posts, KS eTens on both bikes. Love them. They also weigh 625 g or about 1.4 lbs. They are only around $120 each. Great buy.

But if I (or anyone else) wants to do a lightweight XC build, the dropper is a big problem for weight. The carbon fiber KS LevC is 1.0 lbs and is $445, almost four times as much money to save 0.5 lbs. All of the dropper posts that weigh less than that look like they are $700+, sometimes even over $1000 and who knows how long a 0.5 lb dropper post will hold up.

Why can't they simply take a cheap and relatively heavy dropper post, substitute carbon fiber on most components, and that's it? No remote, no fancy routing, just keep it simple and lighter for $200-300? I mean jeez, if they can build a $30 carbon handlebar they can do a cheaper carbon dropper post, right? There is way more carbon fiber in the $30 handlebar than in the post, so what's the issue?
    We ALL have something to learn here. Post helpful solutions instead of flaming for your own sadistic need.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Sliding parts. Plastic will quickly deform/wear out from sliding. Other than that, what does it leave? The saddle clamp and bushing collar?

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004

Simple, light, reliable? They do make one... Gravity Dropper.

However, they are not infinitely adjustable, and the “classic” version needs a butt-tap to raise it. And worse of all, people think they are ugly.... you know, because that really matters.

These are very minor issues for me, but are unacceptable enough for many people that they keep buying expensive posts that are lucky to go 2 seasons before crapping out or needing to be sent in for a re-build. Expectations are so low for dropper posts that simply not crapping the bed for a year is somehow consider super reliable.

Here is my 13-year, 8-month old GD that has been in heavy use on my primary mtb the whole time...

OK, it is 1.36 lbs, but that includes the cable and remote lever. From what I understand the LevC weight does not include the cable and remote, and is actually heavier than this one once you add that in.

I priced one recently at under $300.

BTW, 625g (your post) is 1.67 lbs, not 1.4
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by richj8990 View Post
    I have two identical dropper posts, KS eTens on both bikes. Love them. They also weigh 625 g or about 1.4 lbs. They are only around $120 each. Great buy.

But if I (or anyone else) wants to do a lightweight XC build, the dropper is a big problem for weight. The carbon fiber KS LevC is 1.0 lbs and is $445, almost four times as much money to save 0.5 lbs. All of the dropper posts that weigh less than that look like they are $700+, sometimes even over $1000 and who knows how long a 0.5 lb dropper post will hold up.
    The OneUp V2 Dropper will save you up to 190g over that post. If you're looking for an XC post the 120mm can be shimmed to 100mm costs $199 and weighs right around 1.0 lbs.

Post Only Weights

(30.9) 120mm 435g / 150mm 480g / 180mm 525g / 210mm 570g
    (31.6) 120mm 450g / 150mm 500g / 180mm 545g / 210mm 590g

Jon

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004

To answer your specific question about CF:

Where do you suggest they use CF? Any sliding parts (such as the inner stanchion on most designs) are ruled out.

Regarding handlebars... not a good comparison. Handlebars are only finished on the outside. There are no precision dimensions or finish required on the inside of the tube. So that rules out being a cheap way to make the outer shell of a dropper.

And if you want to ride CF bars that retail for $30... you go for it. I’ll pass.

Companies are still struggling to make dropper posts out of metal that are reliable and have the features people want. Let them get that sorted, then worry about how light they are.
    Last edited by kapusta; 07-11-2019 at 12:06 PM.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.