Why aren't push on grips more popular?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2014

Why aren't push on grips more popular?

I was watching this bike build video and noticed he's using push on grips on a downhill bike: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQCONjLsDZk&t=22m52s

This sort of surprised me because i thought it was standard to use lock on grips in mountainbiking.

I'm new to mountainbiking but i rode a bit of bmx and so was always use to the feel of push on grips. I tested putting lock on grips on my bmx bike because i was curious and noticed it changes the feel of bunnyhopping.

I feel like push on grips almost have this natural rebound effect to them making your hops feel snappy. The lock on's are stiffer and it feels like there's no give between your hand and the grip. Almost like the grippiness is limiting your range of motion a bit.

Is there are reason why push on grips aren't more popular in mountainbiking?

I tried looking up more examples of push on grips on mountain bikes and found this: https://www.redbull.com/ie-en/bike-c...ndraker-summum

They said those grips are glue and wired on. I wonder if that gets rid of that natural give that push on grips have though. Or maybe that puts it somewhere between lock ons and push ons.

Always in the wrong gear
    Iíve used ESI chunky grips exclusively for years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Shiftin' jumps and huckin' gears

Trail Gnome
    I donít care for lock on grips myself...they tend to be too firm. Iíve also tried ESI chunky grips, they were like riding with no grips at all. They felt worse than the lock on grips. All of this is personal preference, of course. Currently Iím running some Lizard Skins Danny Mac grips

Elitest thrill junkie
    Because they can push-off when you ride hard, unless you do things like glue them, which gets messy and nasty when it comes time to change them. Not all lock-ons are the same and feel like hard grips.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Because they can push-off when you ride hard, unless you do things like glue them, which gets messy and nasty when it comes time to change them. Not all lock-ons are the same and feel like hard grips.

I can't speak for every brand but ime ESI's will not move once they're properly installed, no glue or wires required.

As for the question "Why aren't push on grips more popular?" ...duh. Lock on grips are at least 10x easier to install and remove.
    I brake for stinkbugs

Wanna ride bikes?
    Why aren't 80mm QR forks more popular? Because something better came along...
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

mtbr member
    Standard grips were the only thing you had years ago.
    As a result, I HATED working on the cockpit.
    Either trying to blow compressed air under the grip and sliding it off, or spraying Windex under them and twisting off.
    Then, you need to do the same to put them on. If using something like Windex, it needed to dry before riding.
    Then, your riding, they get wet underneath and spin.

Non lock on can work just fine, but they are more b difficult to service, albeit only mildly.

I would not use lock on grips on my MX bike, glued on only, but mountain bike, the ease of lock on is superior in my mind.

Next question - why don't more people run tubular tires?!

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    I don't care much for the quirks of push-on grips, but I like a lot the feel. So, to me, is a fair trade. I've been riding Wolf Tooth Fat Paws for quite a while, and have been pretty happy. Not planning to go back to lock-ons any time soon.

Cycologist
    I used to use hairspray sprayed inside the grip when installing; slide on pretty easily and helped hold in place. I'm looking for some new grips but I want ones that only lock on the inside as I tend to bash the every end of my bars into trees and I've busted off the lock ring and the plastic part of the grip that it connects to. On my SC, the grips are inside ring only and the grip wraps around the end; they get hit but the rubber holds up well. It seems all the one lock grips I'm finding are open ended with a push in plastic plug.
    This post is a natural product. Variances in spelling & grammar should be appreciated as part of its character & beauty.

Up In Smoke
    Quote Originally Posted by chazpat View Post
    I used to use hairspray sprayed inside the grip when installing; slide on pretty easily and helped hold in place..
    WD-40 works great too for those manly types that don't have quick access to hairspray

Cycologist
    Quote Originally Posted by Train Wreck View Post
    WD-40 works great too for those manly types that don't have quick access to hairspray
    That's gotta be horrible for your hair! I guess it does smell manly, though.

Does WD40 dry sticky? Seem like it would just evaporate.
    This post is a natural product. Variances in spelling & grammar should be appreciated as part of its character & beauty.

Up In Smoke
    That's gotta be horrible for your hair! I guess it does smell manly, though.

Does WD40 dry sticky? Seem like it would just evaporate.
    Not sure about the science behind it, somehow it bonds well with the rubber. Trick I learned years ago racing bmxÖ.slippery grips is the last thing you want when snapping out of the gate.

DFMBA.org
    The only push-on grips Iíve used that didnít rotate were ESI Chunkys. Theyíre easy on with alcohol, but kind of a PITA to get off and move to other bars.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Please donate to IMBA or your local IMBA chapter. It's trail karma.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    I can't speak for every brand but ime ESI's will not move once they're properly installed, no glue or wires required.
    Curious as to whether you use them often in wet and nasty conditions.
    I've never had any luck keeping non-lock-on grips from eventually (usually sooner rather than later) spinning when subjected to a lot of sweat/water/mud.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

EAT MORE GRIME
    lock grips stay put in all conditions

non-lock have to be fussed with to stay put in rain usually

except silicone grips, these stay put but have their own issues,
    [one issue being super fragile to tree strikes ]

lock-on provides a great selection of grip style and type, but will never let you down in the crud
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I use push on renthal with grip glue and they are great.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    The push ons with no end caps aren't that durable. One good crash and they'll rip...or like me and have them rip by catching on a chain link fence. I remember the BMX days of the 80's where all my grips (Mushroom and Oakley O Wing) were push ons. The Mushrooms came with glue. The ends would be torn up just after a few rides.

I've been using the ESI grips for some time now. I don't think I've found a grip that I like more.

Rides all the bikes!
    I use ODI F-1 grips (foam slip ons) on my XC bike, ODI Elite Pro on my Enduro. I like tough lock on grips on my enduro, light and comfy foam grips on my XC bike.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    I guess i get the convenience factor of lock-ons.

Push ons are standard in BMX though and i'm pretty sure bmx riders are less tech savy than mountain bikers considering all the other multitude of components you need to maintain. Thick bar ends are also standard in bmx too.

I think i was more curious about the performance difference.

If you've used Push-on grips before (without glue) you'll notice that certain portions of it tend to move/twist over time. I always wondered if that gives it this sort of slingshot rebound effect. And the more you use it, the more you sort of pre-tension it.

I found another example of push ons used on a mtb and here you can see that the grip isn't glued in place and is twisting a bit: https://www.vitalmtb.com/photos/feat...5104/sspomer,2

I've been researching grips a bit yesterday and i actually found the perfectly analogy for what i'm trying to point out. I'm sure you've probably heard about these new RevGrips that are supposed to reduce arm pump. In this video it shows that they actually have some rotation play build into them: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gptkErF8oqY&t=0m30s

I'm wondering if push ons just naturally have some of that rotational play. Maybe glueing/wiring gets rid of some of that effect. It could be interesting to only wire/glue just the 2 ends of a push on grip to allow the center to move freely.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slapheadmofo View Post
    Curious as to whether you use them often in wet and nasty conditions.

No, I live in the SW desert

I have been caught out a time or 2 though and have finished rides soaked to the bone and covered in mud. Even them you're not getting those things off without a knife.

I can't attest to day in, day out wet weather riding though.
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    You can't really compare a slipping slide on grip to the Rev grip. The Rev grip will always return to its original position. It's designed to move. A slipping rubber grip...just slips and moves out of position. I would think that the slip grip would just tear prematurely with the ends wired down and the middle of the grip moving around freely. You don't want a grip to move...that isn't designed to move around. I just picture the grip coming off when you don't want it to.

Cycologist
    Quote Originally Posted by RS VR6 View Post
    The push ons with no end caps aren't that durable. One good crash and they'll rip...or like me and have them rip by catching on a chain link fence. I remember the BMX days of the 80's where all my grips (Mushroom and Oakley O Wing) were push ons. The Mushrooms came with glue. The ends would be torn up just after a few rides.

I've been using the ESI grips for some time now. I don't think I've found a grip that I like more.
    The original SC grips on my 5 year old bike have held up amazingly well, especially considering how often I've clipped them against trees. The rubber is pretty thick on the end. Almost always clip a tree just enough to give a very light tug, rarely enough to throw me off track and even rarer to put me down. Actually, the only time I remember hitting the dirt when I clipped a tree was on my SS and I was too focused on the trail surface. On my SS, not only have I busted off the lock and grip collar, I've busted the plastic push in plug. Come to think of it, I don't recall any issues with my lock on both ends grips on my hardtail.

I wonder who makes them for SC?

mtbr member
    I love the Original WTB grips. Wish they came in color.

Re: WD-40, we used to use it for traction compound when I was racing R/C cars... after they banned the nastier solvents

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Why aren't push on grips more popular?

Oury push on grips, installed and uninstalled using an air compressor. Easy peasy. I tried using rubbing alcohol to install but it never really worked well.

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    I used to run lock on grips. Have some egos that the outer end locks on due to bar ends but that's it.

Trail bikes, push ons. Favorite so far is ESI extra chunky or whatever it's called (the thicker ones).

One requirement for push ons IMHO is rubbing alcohol. Pour it on bars and inside grip before installing. My esi chunkys have been through crash, clipping trees, from sub zero winter weather to hot and steamy summers, not moved once. And I swear like a pig over an open fire (chubby clyde). Have to cut them off when they get nasty/ chunks missing.

So far every full lock on I have tried is either too hard or wears out too quickly. Looking at trying to find a bit softer but just as reliable version of the chunkys now. Age and abuse is catching up with me lol.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
    Life on a bike doesn't begin till the sun goes down.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RAKC Ind View Post
    One requirement for push ons IMHO is rubbing alcohol. Pour it on bars and inside grip before installing.

That works but it's not a requirement. An air compressor with a blow nozzle also works great and they are instantly stuck on a clean bar .
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    That works but it's not a requirement. An air compressor with a blow nozzle also works great and they are instantly stuck on a clean bar .
    And they can be removed and installed when the need arises.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I also use silicon push on grips. Currently running Wolftooth but prefer ESI Chunky. Alcohol and/or compressor to install and compressor to remove. Only times I have had them start twisting on me is after crashes where loose dry dirt has gotten between the grip and bar. Even after removing the grip and thoroughly cleaning, it continued to twist. As far as non-push on, I used to like ODI Rogues but the bolts always rusted/corroded before the grip needed replacement. So, in some way, the lack of bolts has been a positive for me.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

Cycologist
    Hmm, just looked on Santa Cruz's website and they do sell their grips. And it sounds like they designed them with me in mind:

Single lock-ring design with the staying power of dual lock-ring. A taper-lock core uses an internal sleeve that narrows towards the last 38mm (1.5Ē) of the grip, effectively clamping onto the end of the bar to eliminate twisting.

Flared closed end for comfort, feel and security. 8mm (0.3Ē) of rubber with a subtle mushroom profile on the tip resists scuffing, provides comfort and adds an intuitive feel for the bar end. (We also found it adds a healthy dose of forgiveness when clipping trees on tight trails!)

mtbr member
    The original SC grips on my 5 year old bike have held up amazingly well, especially considering how often I've clipped them against trees. The rubber is pretty thick on the end. Almost always clip a tree just enough to give a very light tug, rarely enough to throw me off track and even rarer to put me down. Actually, the only time I remember hitting the dirt when I clipped a tree was on my SS and I was too focused on the trail surface. On my SS, not only have I busted off the lock and grip collar, I've busted the plastic push in plug. Come to think of it, I don't recall any issues with my lock on both ends grips on my hardtail.

I wonder who makes them for SC?
    I just remember that the the Mushroom and O Wing grips I used in the 80's were really soft. The grips would literally become a sticky gummy mess after a few months. The wing tips on the O Wing grips would tear off after a few weeks. I was in grade school at the time and rode my BMX everywhere. Plenty of crashes at the dirt track. The grips were one of the first things to hit the ground when I crashed. The ends of the grips were trashed on all my friends' bikes too.

mtbr member
    Anyone have any idea if grips glues, super77, wd40, etc will cause any damage to the regular (if there is any?) prepreg carbon resins etc? I'd kinda like go back to push-on but I definitely don't want to compromise the bars in any way...

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    i've never had a bmx grip move on me in a significant noticeable way where it messed up a trick i was doing. It obviously is slowly moving by some increment because you can see that the grip texture is twisted. In bmx, all you do is bunnyhop over and over again which is just constantly twisting the grip hard through a wide range of motion. So you're definitely abusing the grip a lot.

Never had the grips slide off the end either. If anything, bmx grips tend to scoot inwards over time which is annoying. I've recently dealt with this by using long grips and letting a 3/4 inch hang off the end. Then i use these unique 2-piece bar ends where you separate out just the plastic core which is just barely thicker than the metal bar itself so you can let that extra grip wrap around it. I might try to deal with this by just gluing the outside end of the grip.

I do live in dry Socal weather though and i don't ride in the rain. Maybe that makes all the difference.

Those silicone grips style might be a different feel from rubber grips. The rib texture on those common odi longneck style push on grips seems to be allowing for that natural twist/play.

also, 3 thin zip ties and pliers is all you need to install a push on grip if you don't have time to wait for stuff to dry. google zip tie grip install.

I'm just a going to try the push-ons on my dh bike this weekend.

I'd be interested in trying a softer lock-on if anyone has a recommendation. I have the stock kona lock-on's which feel hard.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I run Oury's on my bikes, because I lacerated my liver in a crash by falling on the end of my bars. I had a perfect impression of my lock-on ring right under my ribcage. Trust me, you don't want that to happen.

The hairspray trick works well, but the grips do seem to rotate after a year or so.

Does anyone use the PNW Loam grips that only lock on on the inner part of the grip, leaving the end to be rubber and provide a little protection?

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by honkinunit View Post
    I run Oury's on my bikes, because I lacerated my liver in a crash by falling on the end of my bars. I had a perfect impression of my lock-on ring right under my ribcage. Trust me, you don't want that to happen.
    Those oury grip ends definetly don't lookt as durable as a thick hard rubber bmx bar end. There's lock on grips where the end is open for you to attach whatever bar end you want.

mtbrer
    Big fan of the ESI chunky and Extra Chunky. Easy to put on and never come loose, even in rain and snow.

Iíve had lock on clamps make a (not) nice scratch in the car. Just one more thing I donít need from my grips.
    --Reamer