Who makes E*THIRTEEN components and where are they made?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Who makes E*THIRTEEN components and where are they made?

I bought a mid-level Santa Cruz bike and in place of some Shimano XT components, there are a few made by a company named "e*thirteen". They seem to be decent enough, but are they better than Shimano XT bits? One thing I prefer about Shimano over like SRAM & other companies is that Shimano is usually made in Japan by Shimano (inhouse)...whereas the others are usually made by some China/Taiwan firm under contract.

mtbr member
    Can probably find much of that info out on their website.
    https://bythehive.com/

Also, search the tons of threads on their variety of components, tires, dropper posts, etc on the forums for more information and experience with people using them.
    Silly bike things happening.

mtbr member
    They make very good stuff.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Redlands R&C View Post
    Can probably find much of that info out on their website.
    https://bythehive.com/

Also, search the tons of threads on their variety of components, tires, dropper posts, etc on the forums for more information and experience with people using them.
    Thanks for your reply, but I could not find any info on who they are. They seem just like another crypto-company probably sourcing out to some "factory" in China. I currently work in manufacturing and never liked these rootless companies. So, I'll just stick with Shimano for now. Thanks!

I Tried Them ALL... SuperModerator
    E Thirteen makes good stuff.... on-par with Wolftooth.
    "This is a male-dominated forum... there will be lots of Testosterone sword-shaming here" ~ Kenfucius

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Edslittleworld View Post
    Thanks for your reply, but I could not find any info on who they are. They seem just like another crypto-company probably sourcing out to some "factory" in China. I currently work in manufacturing and never liked these rootless companies. So, I'll just stick with Shimano for now. Thanks!
    I regard E-13 as more of a "boutique" company than some random off-brand garbage company. Last time I checked their stuff even comes on YT bikes. I haven't used any of their products I don't think but as others have mentioned they are known for producing good stuff, such as their tires and drive train components are liked by some. Probably made somewhere in Asia but its reputed to be good.

I think the real question is do you like the bike and the components that are on it? I wouldn't spend a bunch of money to swap it to shimano stuff if so. Assuming you are using their drivetrain products then I think the e-13 stuff should be about the same level as shimano xt or better. If you don't like it then switch but i'd probably ride the parts until the break or wear out then go shimano then unless I truly hated them.

Rocks belong
    Your Santa Cruz likely has an e13 cassette? What else is e13 branded?

I'd happily run e13 wheels, tires, cranks, bar, stem. Not sold on their dropper posts, but the rest of their stuff is solid.
    I like 'em long, low, slack and playful

mtbr member
    Shimano farms out a lot of their low-mid range manufacturing to other countries/factories, fwiw.

mtbr member
    ^^^ and they make a lot of incredibly cheap and chintzy components you'll find on department store bikes. They cover the full gamut.

E13 is legit.
    Do the math.

Ride More - Suffer Less
    Ethirteen was originally one of Dave Weagle's companies as well as EVIL. It was purchased by the Hive around ~2010.

E13 has some really smart designs like the polygon crank interface (used on German tank drives).

I consider it quality componentry, however not everything is perfect. The early cassettes were very problematic and possibly still are. Unfortunately they were spec'd OEM by some big companies. That hurt.

Not sure where the new designs are engineered but I doubt DW is part of that any longer...I could be wrong.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Thanks for answers, everyone! Some of us are still a bit curious (if not concerned) where and who manufactures our components and equipment.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    E13 is average quality, they have some interesting ideas, but some of their stuff doesn't work as designed.

They're fine on a budget, but there is better quality components if you have the $$
    Guerilla Gravity Shred Dogg
    Fezzari Signal Peak (For Sale)
    Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Their APS preload adjuster for their cranksets becomes unreliable over time and causes the crank arms to wobble side-to-side, requiring constant re-adjustment. It's very frustrating.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Edslittleworld View Post
    I bought a mid-level Santa Cruz bike and in place of some Shimano XT components, there are a few made by a company named "e*thirteen". They seem to be decent enough, but are they better than Shimano XT bits? One thing I prefer about Shimano over like SRAM & other companies is that Shimano is usually made in Japan by Shimano (inhouse)...whereas the others are usually made by some China/Taiwan firm under contract.

As others pointed out shimano uses other sourcing as well. If you are old enough you would remember when made in japan was considered cheap junk. The same transition is has happened or is happening in various countries in asia. S.Korea, taiwan and china can all produce top notch products depending on the requested specs, pricing and most importantly qc. China and Taiwan are very different btw.
    Anecdotally, i remember working with an outdoor company during it switch from us domestic manufacture to asian. The old wholesale price was about where the new retail price and defects decreased greatly. Sad but true.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    For what is worth here is the start of the wikipedia entry for them

Shimano, Inc. (株式会社シマノ Kabushiki-gaisha Shimano) is a Japanese multinational manufacturer of cycling components, fishing tackle and rowing equipment. It produced golf supplies until 2005 and snowboarding gear until 2008. Headquartered in Sakai, Japan, the company has 32 consolidated subsidiaries and 11 unconsolidated subsidiaries. Shimano's primary manufacturing plants are in Kunshan, China; Malaysia; and Singapore.

In 2017, Shimano had net sales of US $3.2 billion, 38% in Europe, 35% in Asia, and 11% in North America. Bicycle components represented 80%, fishing tackle 19%, and other products 0.1%. The company is publicly traded, with 93 million shares of common stock outstanding.[6]

mtbr member
    You should do some research or all you'll ever be riding is specialized and shimano.
    I'm sick of all the Irish stereotypes, as soon as I finish this beer I"m punching someone