Where have all the (inexpensive) brake pads gone?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2019

Where have all the (inexpensive) brake pads gone?

So are BR-M6000 pads a collectors item now? I bought the thing near a year ago, the pads are done, and every where is out of stock! What is up with that? So to keep this bike on the dirt I have to buy a new caliper?

Now wishing I had gone with a used old set of the standard shape used on Tektro and BR-525. 180mm rotor, resin pads, the M6000 has a winged reservoir that keeps it braking under heavy load, as good as metal pads for me.

[I just found G03S at universalcycles - but still . . . local retailers are zeroed out]

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Found BR-8000 uses G03S as M6000 does - but the cheapo listings for XT omit M6000 as compatible, so I found Corki brand that have worked well for me on the 525, and will try those.

mtbr member
    Sep 2020
    Have you tried disco brakes? I cant beat them for price, especially if you buy packs of 4...

mtbr member
    I've got some Truckerco pads and they feel pretty good.

since 4/10/2009
    COVID supply chain disruptions still exist.

I still can't get my usual brands of a LOT of random things. Other things, oddly, were never disrupted. It's an incredibly complex situation that's not easily explained away.

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    COVID = Can't Obtain Various Items Desired

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy E View Post
    COVID = Can't Obtain Various Items Desired
    Yes - COVID - but it is hard to accept on something like brakes. The thing is also a "car" bike and I am used to going to the store and getting pads, certainly essential, for car or bike whenever. So it was a shock to see "unavailable" most everywhere I looked. I did get some BR-M6000 compatible delivered today fortunately.

Then getting political/economic. This J Bravo character says "start your own business" and forget brick and mortar. OK, but why not start a business manufacturing instead of reselling overseas shlock. I am not an engineer. But something like Disco brake pads should be made in USA so this does not happen anymore.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by gnatsOnTeeth View Post
    Yes - COVID - but it is hard to accept on something like brakes. The thing is also a "car" bike and I am used to going to the store and getting pads, certainly essential, for car or bike whenever. So it was a shock to see "unavailable" most everywhere I looked. I did get some BR-M6000 compatible delivered today fortunately.

Then getting political/economic. This J Bravo character says "start your own business" and forget brick and mortar. OK, but why not start a business manufacturing instead of reselling overseas shlock. I am not an engineer. But something like Disco brake pads should be made in USA so this does not happen anymore.
    You say that, but then when give the choice between pads that cost say $10 and $25, you'll pick the $10 and that US company won't be in business long.
    Ripley LS v3
    OG Ripley v2 handed down to son

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    The rest of your drivetrain was not made in the US, so why would the cheap consumable parts be made in the US?
    America wanted cheaper a long time ago, hence why America doesn't manufacture much of what it consumes. It's going to take more than a disrupted supply chain before it becomes profitable to make bike brake pads in America.
    COVID has disrupted the bicycle industry supply chain as well as many others. Much of your life relies on raw material going to foreign factories and then container ships to the US.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    A typical day at my bike shop:
    Get to work an hour before opening
    Scour the internet for tubes, tires, derailleurs, brake pads etc.
    Find nothing
    Open the doors
    Spend the rest of my day explaining to customers why there are no parts or bikes
    This is the current state of the bicycle business and will be for a few more months. Get used to it. There is no reason why brake pads should be in any less demand, or more available than anything else.

SPECIALizED
    Just ordered four sets of pads from TruckerCo for $26.99. Thanks for the reminder.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by DuncanB_UK View Post
    Have you tried disco brakes? I cant beat them for price, especially if you buy packs of 4...
    Been using DiscoBrakes pads for 2 seasons now and luv 'em. I'm torn between ceramic pro and copper free.

Copper free I find I have to warm up before they develop bite. Ceramic Pro has bite from the get go. Copper free prob lasts 30% longer than Ceramic Pro. I got 450km on my Ceramic Pro before needing to replace them.

mtbr member
    I was also looking for fairly generic brake pads lately (non finned shimano saint), and like you... found that almost no one had any in stock just about a month ago.

I checked like 3 big websites (Jenson, WWC, Amazon) before I found some in stock at competitivecyclist.

I've also noticed that tires, and grips are hard to find as well.

I had a buddy that waited weeks to get a tube for his road bike.

Hopefully things sort themselves out over time. Or at least before I need another rear tire and some brake pads :P.

No Fear
    Its amazing.......to see bikes shops all over the globe have the same problems we have here in Iran......

I thought it only our problem because our sh**ty economy in fact it is......but seems its not totally......

Its a little hard to explain he in Iran we have an annual inflation of about 20% but......

But......all the presidents dam it.....what doen it mean.....the try to dam the inflation in order it to not show.....

Why ? because they want that vote in their second term. and they need to show that their policies have worked well and we have a low inflation rate.....

and what happens after they get elected for the second term ........the presidential terms are 4 years like many countries

Well after the get reelected for the second term after a year or two......the open up the dam and all those 5 or 6 years of about 20 % inflation ....flood up...

And the interesting part is that for example 6 years of 20 % inflations doesnt make 120 % they make nearly 300 % because the inflations act like a compound interest...

from the revolution in 1979 we had had 7 presidents

The first was soon impeached as he was not listening to the commands of the higher levels
    The second was assassinated months after being elected

The third gave us over 500 % of inflation in his 8 years he is the one as the leader now
    * although his presidential term was Simultaneous with the 8 year Iran/Iraq war

The forth gave us over 400 %

The fifth have only around 60 % and he was demonized by the higher levels in the eye of public
    Why ? as he eased the tensions with the west specially with the states giving the economy an opportunity to bloom a little but this easing in the relation with the states want what the higher levels wanted.....

The Sixth gave us around 400% in his 8 years term and after nearly 14 years of experiencing a low level of inflation we thought he is stupid.......as all the world did as well
    * when attending the united nations and giving his speech all the other participants left their seats in Sign of protest
    But we didnt know that this was the norm......not the previous one in this country.....
    And finally the Seventh currently in his last year of the 8 years.........has gave us around 750 % till now.........

Not to forget from the day Trump tore that Iran deal every thing went downhill from that point * it was really fine before that .......

iv been in the biking scene from 2001 and been working in bike shops from around 2003 and i have never ever seen such a shortage of goods and pars and bikes in all that time

we have had some difficulties in the years we were experiencing the ( broken dam inflation ) but we were never in a shortage of goods and parts the parts came but the prices sky rocketed .......

But whats the funny point.......its that im seeing people from the first world countries having the same issues & complaining about the same things.......and thats the thing i cant believe....also knowing this eases my mind a bit as now i know the shortages are not ( at least totally ) as a result of our sh**ty economy....
    A rider/online bike shop owner/Mechanic From Iran

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    Those are ok- ish pads - blue multi- metallic ones.
    2 Pairs Brake Pads for TRP Tektro Shimano Deore Br-M575 M525 M515 T615 T675 M505 M495 M486 M485 M475 M465 M447 M446 M445 M416 M415 M395 M375 M315 M355 C601 C501(Resin,Semi-Metallic,Sintered Metal) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DMWLBR9..._Z56zFbA6CRWND