Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by GTR-33 View Post
    Not really... What empirical evidence have you offered to prove your claims? I have very wide shoulders and a bunch of "pro reviewers" are just dudes riding free bikes. Those guys saying "game changer!" is not really empirical evidence. Those same dudes said that 720 bars were too wide and heavy and told people to get into carbon 580 bars and 110 stems... These guys also say you need tapered steer tubes, 30mm spindles, thru axles etc.
    My mistake. You are absolutely correct. There is no correlation between shoulder width and a comfortable bar width at all. To even think such a thought is utterly stupid, as it is not logical in any way at all.

Smart people with very wide shoulders should go narrow on the bars. If the thumbs can touch each other I guess it would be perfect as they will not feel so lonely. If some for any strange reason should feel more comfortable and less cramped on a wider bar, they are just idiots that believe in the hype.
    Last edited by n0tEcH; 10-25-2016 at 02:59 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Enduro bike is 800mm on a 50mm stem and XC bike is 780 on a 60mm stem - Both are large Kona Honzos built very differently and I am 6' even. Love both setups.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeBro View Post
    Enduro bike is 800mm on a 50mm stem and XC bike is 780 on a 60mm stem - Both are large Kona Honzos built very differently and I am 6' even. Love both setups.
    You are wrong!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    700mm that's about as wide as I can go to safely clear trees at high speed in the trails where I live. Some people here use like 760-780 and I have no idea how. There are baby trees everywhere.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    I'm 6' 1.5" with long torso and mutant long arms. Built my classic Titus Ti Hardtail for trail/XC, and after lots of trial and error have settled on Ritchey WCS Carbon Riser (30mm rise) and a 70mm (6 deg) RaceFace Turbine alloy stem. I tried everything from 100mm stem back to 50mm, and bars from flat to 30mm rise, and various widths between 640 to 750. The 710/30mm rise and 70mm stem just work for me for where I ride, and have my balance right where I want it, with no pain points after long rides. I chose to just listen to my body versus what everyone else was doing, and for now this is the working recipe. I honestly don't know of a better way to find the right setup than just riding and tweaking as your body tells you something just doesn't feel right.

Ambassador of Chub
    I'm 5'10 and a generally like a bar between 720 - 750mm. Wider than that and I feel that the application starts becoming more specialized, and not as much of an 'all around' user.
    "The only way we can truly control the outcome of a ride is not going on it, which is a choice I'm unwilling to make." -K.B.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by n0tEcH View Post
    My mistake. You are absolutely correct. There is no correlation between shoulder width and a comfortable bar width at all.
    I didn't say that at all. Last time I checked no one has 80cm wide shoulders. If wider were better to infinity, why aren't there roadies on 50cm wide bars? They spend FAR more time trying to EMPIRICALLY prove the bike fitting systems they employ.

You do understand what empirical evidence is and how some magazine guy's "Bro, these barz are sikkk!" is not empirical evidence? I ride a 46cm bar on my road bike and that's just about as wide as they get without getting into mountain drops with radical flares. I have ridden wider mountain drops and they were fun but, there is a major compromise of ONLY being able to ride in the drop position.

I'm just saying there isn't any clear decisive evidence that 800 bars have anything to do with shoulder width because guys that are 5'4" are riding them and having a good time. There are tons of variables.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    shorter stem wider bars, better for stability and control, I run a 50mm+800mm, however I probably would be just a comfortable with a 780mm, but nothing shorter. I don't have any tree's yet.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Bought Race Face Atlas bars for my Chameleon build. They started at 800mm and I slowly over time brought them down to 745mm. For the areas I ride, this is my ideal setup. Gets me through the narrows but enough width to hit the downhills with some speed. What handlebar width are you using?-img_20160417_152210503.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I put on a 50mm RF Turbine-R stem & 800mm SixC bars, replacing my old 740 & 750mm bars. I was fully expecting that I'd want to cut them down to about 780, but on my one (long) ride so far, they felt great. I did notice that my hands instinctively scooted inward on the grips while pedaling for long stretches, but they didn't feel uncomfortable by any means.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    is anybody making a FLAT carbon 780 mm bar??

mtbr member
    May 2008

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by spartan_msu View Post
    They're out of stock. They've been out of stock for a while.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Just got the 810 mm Protaper Answers with 3" rise.

Love 'em.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Ritchey WCS Trail carbon bars on my hardtail, 760mm.

Ambassador of Chub
    Funny to see where I was at a year ago with my comment above. I'm running 760-780mm bars these days and really like it.
    "The only way we can truly control the outcome of a ride is not going on it, which is a choice I'm unwilling to make." -K.B.

turtles make me hot
    710 Jones Bars. If they made em wider, I'd use em.
    I like turtles

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12