Nobody

What are currently using for a Bashguard?

Been riding my new Sentinel Carbon for a couple months now and loving it, but as my 1st modern geo slack bike, I am finding I have a need for a bashguard, especially with where and how I ride. Lots of log hops and rock gardens.

My bike has ISCG05 mount and as I have never dropped a chain on any of my 1X narrow/wide equipped bikes, so I do not require a guide. I have a 30T chainring and looking for a bashguard that will hold up.

The only 30T specific unit I have found is the MRP XCG Micro, but I'm not crazy about it being full aluminum as it's just going to loose chunks over time. I would prefer to either have a solid delrin unit, or at least an aluminum mount with a delrin/plastic bash guard attached.

Assuming I'll just end up going with a unit that covers up to 32T since they seem to be the most common. Wondering what your all using and how they are holding up. I'm looking at the Blackspire Crusher/Bruiser and Absolute Black Taco units. I really like the concept of the 77Designs unit, but I really wish it was full Delrin as it would be stronger and slicker for sliding and hitting on the occasional rock. I might buy one of these and have someone copy it on a 3D Printed Delrin unit...

Thanks
    Hunt Hard, Kill Swiftly, Waste Nothing, Offer No Apologies...

Barely in control
    I also just needed a bash guard too. I found a used E13 TRS steel chainguide/bash guard for cheap and just cut off the chain guide. That steel is HARD.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Following.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Post to sub

smartass
    I use the OneUp bashguard/chainguide combo on my Smuggler and it's awesome. I find that I do drop a chain here and there (not often, but it happens), so I've been running a guide for a years. The guide is easy to set up, weighs next to nothing, and is added insurance even if you think you don't need it. OneUp makes nice stuff.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    I did notice these guys over at PB, they are selling 3D printed ones. No affiliation or exp with their product, but it seems like BKXC uses it...good or bad

CBF 3D Printed ISCG05 Bash Guards
    What are currently using for a Bashguard?-p5pb16364273.jpg

Nobody
    Quote Originally Posted by ehfour View Post
    I did notice these guys over at PB, they are selling 3D printed ones. No affiliation or exp with their product, but it seems like BKXC uses it...good or bad

CBF 3D Printed ISCG05 Bash Guards
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	p5pb16364273.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	155.5 KB 
ID:	1218014
    Awesome, thanks for the heads up. Could you pm a link to this listing?

Thanks

mtbr member
    May 2017

Interplanetary Poultry
    I use the MRP SXG Carbon. It's a chainguide/bashguard. https://www.jensonusa.com/MRP-SXG-Ca...hainring-Guide
    Editor In Chief, "Internet Tough Guy Magazine"
    "Home of Chuck Norris' Keyboard"

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    77 designz crash plate, been running one for years and it hasn't lost chunks or hung me up at all. 200lb rider in very rocky terrain.

mtbr member
    This one is doing the job well for me...installed in Jan and it's taken many hits since new.
    What are currently using for a Bashguard?-img_0320.jpg
    https://www.mrpbike.com/xcg-v2/

Mine has 34T chainring so I bought 36T model
    I was looking into Blackspire as well.
    12 Santa Cruz Heckler
    18 Kona Process 153 AL/DL (27.5)...

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by sturge View Post
    This one is doing the job well for me...installed in Jan and it's taken many hits since new.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0320.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	65.1 KB 
ID:	1218161
    https://www.mrpbike.com/xcg-v2/

Mine has 34T chainring so I bought 36T model
    I was looking into Blackspire as well.
    Thanks for the pic an link

Are you using ISCG05? or 2 Bolt

since 4/10/2009
    Generally speaking, you don't buy a taco bash for ONE SPECIFIC chainring size. They usually come in ranges, like you see on the 3d printed ones. You want them a little bigger than your chainring. Other than that, it doesn't really matter so much.

I have a Blackspire Bruiser on my bike now.

Probably going to get an MRP AMg v2 or an XCg v2 for my current hardtail build.

Nobody
    Quote Originally Posted by robmac48 View Post
    Thanks,
    Turns out he lives in the same area, so I purchased one and he is going to drop it in my mailbox this weekend. I'll post a pic when I get it on.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scatterbrained View Post
    I use the MRP SXG Carbon. It's a chainguide/bashguard. https://www.jensonusa.com/MRP-SXG-Ca...hainring-Guide
    So do I. It works great but the lower guide / integrated skid plate is not that tough. I broke one on a fairly minor impact on a soccer ball sized rock. Stuff that other bash guards have lived through.

I replaced it but if I crush another, I'll probably install the standard amg style lower skid without the guide the next time.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Nobody
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    Generally speaking, you don't buy a taco bash for ONE SPECIFIC chainring size. They usually come in ranges, like you see on the 3d printed ones. You want them a little bigger than your chainring. Other than that, it doesn't really matter so much.

I have a Blackspire Bruiser on my bike now.

Probably going to get an MRP AMg v2 or an XCg v2 for my current hardtail build.
    Well, what matters to me is that I donít loose ground clearance on my already low slacker. I bought the 3D printed one listed for 28-30T and I have a 30T chainring. Itís still too big. Luckily the 3D printed one from PB was only $15 so itís not a huge loss. Iíll give to one of my buddies who runs a bigger ring.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What are currently using for a Bashguard?-422cedaf-b3fe-4966-bcb7-31b1f1b57095.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shamis View Post
    Well, what matters to me is that I donít loose ground clearance on my already low slacker. I bought the 3D printed one listed for 28-30T and I have a 30T chainring. Itís still too big. Luckily the 3D printed one from PB was only $15 so itís not a huge loss. Iíll give to one of my buddies who runs a bigger ring.
    by definition you're going to lose ground clearance. anything that protects the chainring is obviously going to stick out. that really doesn't look bad - what could you gain from a smaller one, maybe another 1/4" clearance? that seems trivial. you must have a really freakishly low bb.?

Nobody
    Riding a Sentinel. Defenitely understand protection will cost clearance, but you only need a 1/4Ē. Angle of the picture probably doesnít show, but it sits more than an inch below the chain. Sentinel is already low and when you add the 30% sag and full travel, it get very low when dropping over logs.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    @shamis

Sorry to see that it didnt work out

It almost looks like a 32T guard?

Nobody
    Quote Originally Posted by ehfour View Post
    @shamis

Sorry to see that it didnt work out

It almost looks like a 32T guard?
    I'm wondering the same. Gonna take some measurements and contact the seller for confirmation

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    I'm wondering the same. Gonna take some measurements and contact the seller for confirmation
    Did they get back to you?

Curious what the outcome of this was

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    im using a oneup bash guard and chain guide combo on a yeti sb6. the 30t covers just enough of the chainring
    2017 yeti sb6c turq x01 eagle

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Give it a buzz with a grinder

mtbr member
    MRP AMg V2 on Process 153

Yeah, I'm that a$$hole.

OneUp Bash Guide

OneUp Bash Guide with OneUp Switch SRAM DM oval chainring. Previously I was using an MRP G4, but it was way to finicky and noisy to use with my 12sp drivetrain. Love my OneUp guide.

What are currently using for a Bashguard?-picsart_09-15-05.13.55.jpg
    #THELEGENDMTB
    2016 RSD Mayor
    2018 Diamondback Release 5C
    2017 Diamondback Haanjo Trail

mtbr member

CBF Team 3D Printed Bashguard ($15)

I guess a little too much protection is better than not enough.
    Name:  IMG_0607.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  25.4 KB
    Update: I contacted CBF via P Bike and requested a solid, smaller radius bash guard and he's going to print it for me.
    Same price
    Last edited by slomtbr; 10-15-2018 at 04:23 PM. Reason: You Can Request Custom Guards
    Almost = Didn't

Barely in control
    What is the durability of those 3d plastic ones? Seems like one good hit and...gone.

mtbr member
    I'll let you know if I break it.
    Meanwhile, CBF did a custom print for my 28t chainring.
    Name:  IMG_0611.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  52.9 KB
    Almost = Didn't

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Hey guys! this is Sean from CBF Team. I am in charge of designing and printing the products. If any of you have any issues please contact me! I myself run the 3d printed bash on my Banshee Rune. We have had one friend of our crack theirs when they cased it on top of a log really hard. Mine has been good for about 3 good hits so far. I will help you guys to the best of my ability. When the bash cracked on my friends bike, the chainring was unharmed and the iscg tabs were also unharmed.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Hey Sean

For a lower profile bash, what do you recommend for a 32t ring?

Should I order the 28-30? I donít want the gap that Shamis ran into

Thanks

mtbr member
    May 2017
    If you want a lower profile but less protection, the 28 one should fit fine. If you want it to be stronger, I can make the holes solid.

mtbr member
    just stuck the oneup bash guard/chain guide on the whip.As for the 3d printed BG's by CBF.....I'm sure Brain(bkxc) has just had one put on his Orbea

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-QAgpr66p8

mtbr member
    Sean, The solid, 28t (with 6mm smaller radius) guard you printed for me has taken about 5 good hits, 3 on granite, and it's holding up fine!
    Quote Originally Posted by senorbanana View Post
    Hey guys! this is Sean from CBF Team. I am in charge of designing and printing the products. If any of you have any issues please contact me! I myself run the 3d printed bash on my Banshee Rune. We have had one friend of our crack theirs when they cased it on top of a log really hard. Mine has been good for about 3 good hits so far. I will help you guys to the best of my ability. When the bash cracked on my friends bike, the chainring was unharmed and the iscg tabs were also unharmed.
    Almost = Didn't

mtbr member
    May 2017
    That is awesome to hear! hopefully it will take even more hits in the future