What is the BEST firm foam sadle cushion you can get?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

What is the BEST firm foam sadle cushion you can get?

My bike is new, so there is some mileage i need to put in. I adjusted the seat, seat height, saddle angle.

Did some research and i think a firm foam saddle might be what i need. What is the best one that you can get ?

I invested so much in the ride, really want to make sure it is pleasant as possible.

Formerly of Kent
    Just about every saddle has firm foam in it.

No one can tell you what will work best for you. Everyone has a different posterior. Iím guessing a good chunk of your discomfort is due to riding technique, or, lack thereof.

A good starting point would be a high quality set of riding shorts and a bike fit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    Just about every saddle has firm foam in it.

No one can tell you what will work best for you. Everyone has a different posterior. Iím guessing a good chunk of your discomfort is due to riding technique, or, lack thereof.

A good starting point would be a high quality set of riding shorts and a bike fit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I think you are right. I am new to mountain biking. I tried to look up some remedies and found a lot about making sure the angle of the seat, the bars, the height of everything is on point. I was trying to be conscious about where the force of my weight was being spread across the bike. but still a lot to learn.

One of the tips i saw was for people to try to use a firm foam saddle cushion.
    Something along the lines of this, but i am not sure if its the best out there:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...KAIPMF0Q&psc=1

Def going to get some bicycle shorts. Wanted to use bicycle shorts + firm foam sadle cushion, and see if both of these will help while i work on biking correctly.

Do you have any suggestions for the best cycling shorts with pads?

Cycologist
    Quote Originally Posted by istishu View Post
    I think you are right. I am new to mountain biking. I tried to look up some remedies and found a lot about making sure the angle of the seat, the bars, the height of everything is on point. I was trying to be conscious about where the force of my weight was being spread across the bike. but still a lot to learn.

One of the tips i saw was for people to try to use a firm foam saddle cushion.
    Something along the lines of this, but i am not sure if its the best out there:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...KAIPMF0Q&psc=1

Def going to get some bicycle shorts. Wanted to use bicycle shorts + firm foam sadle cushion, and see if both of these will help while i work on biking correctly.

Do you have any suggestions for the best cycling shorts with pads?
    Ugh, you do NOT want that saddle!

How big are you? WTB Volt is a standard answer but saddles really depend on the rider, I did not care for the Volt, I tend to like more minimal saddles. If you are new to riding, it will take your ass a while to get used to it but you should get proper bike shorts.
    This post is a natural product. Variances in spelling & grammar should be appreciated as part of its character & beauty.

mtbr member
    You definitely don't want that saddle. Get some padded liners and give your butt some time to harden up. Expect it to hurt for a month or more.

Sent from my moto g(6) forge using Tapatalk
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chazpat View Post
    Ugh, you do NOT want that saddle!

How big are you? MTB Volt is a standard answer but saddles really depend on the rider, I did not care for the Volt, I tend to like more minimal saddles. If you are new to riding, it will take your ass a while to get used to it but you should get proper bike shorts.
    I am 6 feet and 225 pounds.

Gotcha, thanks for letting me know know roughly how long it will take. Will have to just put in the work.

I just ripped apart some football shoulder pads and tried to put them together with cycling shorts, while i wait for something to come in.

I thought these were funny in my search:

https://www.amazon.com/Alomejor-Bicy...0896508&sr=8-2

On a serious note, what about these:

https://bisaddle.com/products/srt-wh...yABEgK2O_D_BwE

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/s-...SABEgJfTvD_BwE

mtbr member
    What saddle do you have now?
    If you're brand new to a bicycle seat I wouldn't get to hung up on the seat itself at this stage. Give your butt several weeks to build up some tolerance.

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

poser Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    If you're brand new to a bicycle seat I wouldn't get to hung up on the seat itself at this stage. Give your butt several weeks to build up some tolerance.

This plus no underwear under form fitting spandex shorts. Padded shorts but not super thick pads.

Thick padding just makes sure if gets into all the cracks and crevices and just increases pain. Ultimately your sit bones will get bruised and will need to get used to sitting for extended periods on the saddle. Once you get up your butt calluses you will have much less issues with sitting.

Best bet would be go to a bike shop and have them do a sit bone measurement and put the proper width saddle under you, There are widths now available that should help with sitting endurance.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

Cycologist
    Quote Originally Posted by rockcrusher View Post

Best bet would be go to a bike shop and have them do a sit bone measurement and put the proper width saddle under you, There are widths now available that should help with sitting endurance.
    This, and sit bones don't necessarily correspond with your actual size so don't automatically think a wider saddle will be better for you.

We can't tell you what saddle will be best for you. My "best" saddles would probably not be what you want.
    This post is a natural product. Variances in spelling & grammar should be appreciated as part of its character & beauty.

since 4/10/2009
    Everybody else is dead on here.

I'll make another comment about saddle selection - it can depend on the bike you put it on, on top of all the other personal reasons you might like a saddle.

The bike I've been riding since 2014 has been great with the WTB Volt saddle on it. To the extent that when I wore that one out, I bought the exact same one to replace it. I was building a new bike about a yr ago, and so I bought another Volt for it, assuming that since I love it on one bike, I'd love it on this one, too. Hard no. Absolutely hated it on my new bike. No matter what I did, I couldn't adjust it to be comfortable. So I had to buy something different.

So, OP, stay away from extra pads on the saddle. None of them fit tightly enough for mtb uses, and they're going to cause more problems than they solve. Also, avoid big, fat, cushy saddles for mtb uses. Again, they create more problems than they solve. One of the key aspects of mountain biking (that you probably don't understand yet because you're new) is that to ride varied terrain, you will need to stand up and move around over the bike. A lot. That big, cushy saddle will only get in your way and limit your range of motion. It'll prevent you from riding things that you might be able to otherwise. It'll probably be somewhat dangerous and could cause you to crash, even.

You can get fairly thin saddles that are good for mtb riding that have some padding. You don't need a lot. But no matter what you do, if you've not spent any time on a bike saddle before (or it's been many years, even), there's no way around the fact that you're going to have some soreness until you get used to it. Numbness and tingling isn't okay. But soreness is to be expected. You'll have to power through it, too. You can't just take months off after a ride where you get some soreness. You need to get back on the bike soon after, even if it's just for a really short neighborhood spin. Frequency is more important than time/distance in this regard. In fact, you need to be careful you don't go too long too early, because that'll make it harder (you'll have more soreness/deeper bruising and it will be less enjoyable to get back on the bike the next day). And that's on top of the possibility that you overdo it for muscles not trained in the activity. Short, frequent stuff can help at first here, too.

If you get numbness/tingling, then something definitely isn't working. Might be an adjustment. Might be the shape of the saddle. You need to be pretty detailed about your understanding of when/where you get any numbness. And you absolutely cannot be overly modest when trying to describe it to someone at the shop. If you're detailed, you'd be surprised how much help they can be. If you clam up out of "modesty" then there's probably not much they can do. When I worked at a shop (I'm a guy), I've had women come in with very frank and detailed conversations about the soreness they're having from their bicycle saddle, and I was able to give some advice that was helpful. But I've also had women who were very timid about describing themselves and their issues, and there's not much I could do for that. Sometimes they'd open up more to a female coworker, but sometimes not. I've had dudes who were super embarrassed to talk about their genital soreness, who I couldn't help much. Chances are, a bike shop employee has heard it (or experienced it), and won't be judgmental.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post

I have the fizik saddle.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....AC_SL1500_.jpg

mtbr member
    Thank you so much for your feedback everyone ! greatly appreciate it.

Especially Harold, thank you for your detailed feedback, going to save your reply. I work out daily for 2 hours, 6/7 days a week. Was kind of surprised how much mtn biking took out of me.

I am going to really give it a few months, because i am just experiencing soreness. Will def pay a visit to my bike shop, I have the best friendliest people there. They helped me pick out a helmet and shoes - super helpful.

mtbr member
    So I ended up coming across this football shoulderpad Nike shirt. I cut the shoulder pads out. I had some tight workout gear, so i put those on. I inserted these inside. Because they are very firm, and made to absorb impact, it works great. I didnt have any discomfort at all !

These are from a shirt so they are machine washable. and I can always get another one of these nike shirts again.

Amazing

Had to adjust my seat height a little because i was experiencing backpain. Lifted it up and it went away right away.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What is the BEST firm foam sadle cushion you can get?-shoulder-pad.jpg  

mtbr member
    Glad you found something that works!

Definitely grab some padded bike shorts. If you continue to experience discomfort, it's more likely that the saddle is the wrong width for you. There are guides out there on how to measure the width of your hip bones. Measure your width and then just grab a WTB Volt or whatever your local bike store recommends...in the proper width.