Wellgo MG-1 and Freerider FiveTen don't grip... WHY???!!!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2010

Wellgo MG-1 and Freerider FiveTen don't grip... WHY???!!!

Wellgo MG-1 Platform pedals and FiveTen Freerider shoes. A match made in heaven according to some people. They're supposed to grip insanely well.

Well... I bought them both, brand new this last week, tried it out just now and absolutely NO gripping whatsoever. Tried repositioning my shoes, twist and try to get it to stick. No good.

What's wrong?

Dave
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Wellgo MG-1 and Freerider FiveTen don't grip... WHY???!!!-w-mg-1-pedals.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I had that combo in the past and it gripped fine, don't know what you're doing wrong. Only changed pedals for a thinner platform.

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    they changed the screws used too. instead of generic hardened set screws which are kind of sharp this look like stainless/chrome that have the tips smoothed.

Take one of the set screws (pins in the pedals) to match up at the hardware store for standard black looking ones. Cost you a couple bucks and try that. If you dont stick like glue then it's your technique. I can ride Van's, cheap skater shoes or just trail runners and never have a grip issue once I learned technique.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Life on a bike doesn't begin till the sun goes down.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by RAKC Ind View Post
    they changed the screws used too. instead of generic hardened set screws which are kind of sharp this look like stainless/chrome that have the tips smoothed.

Take one of the set screws (pins in the pedals) to match up at the hardware store for standard black looking ones. Cost you a couple bucks and try that. If you dont stick like glue then it's your technique. I can ride Van's, cheap skater shoes or just trail runners and never have a grip issue once I learned technique.

Or just give em a hit on the grinder or file.

mtbr member
    I've been using this combination for a couple of years and I have no complaints. You do know that your feet don't literally stick to the pedals? ;0)

Not a role model
    I agree with RAKC. Those smoothed over pins look slippery. I'm betting that these are the ones you want, which will grab better. They'll also grab your flesh better too, if you bash into them.

https://www.amazon.com/Socket-M4-0-7...dp/B07CPMGR7P/

mtbr member
    The pins look the same as mine, which work fine.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pig View Post
    I've been using this combination for a couple of years and I have no complaints. You do know that your feet don't literally stick to the pedals? ;0)
    I think you might be onto something.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pig View Post
    Yes I know that. In my case they’re not even remotely grabbing, not one iota.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by dniemeye View Post
    You aren't doing it right.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    O.K. thanks for the info.

"You're doing it wrong." (From Mr. Mom

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    truly the big problem comes if your used to riding clipless. You cant just leave your feet loose and floating. You have to keep constant pressure. Flats dont stick to any shoe. It's the grab and hold from the pins digging into the soles and any friction between the shoe and rest of the pedal.

But if your trying to sit and spin everywhere and coming from clipless etc, the "your doing it wrong" applies. Flats take more technique, more time to learn proper technique. And clipless creates some seriously bad habits that make the change to flats difficult at first.

Quick side thought: Clean the soles and the pedals with some decent dish soap and water. I have seen some metal platform pedals come new all oily. Nothing with grip them too save your life. Never seen it in wellgo but not to say that's not the case.

Hell you could have stepped in something from a leaky vehicle with those shoes on so they are oily on the bottom. Even a little bit of antifreeze will make life hell (I know from experience there)

Get the pedals back on and watch some technique videos and practice keeping the pedals weights at all times. Once that become second nature then you can start to lift a little on climbs and regain that efficiency from clipless since except for well trained pros, riders never actually pull up, they unweight the returning pedal reducing load in the leg making power at the specific moment.

Life on a bike doesn't begin till the sun goes down.

since 4/10/2009
    In all seriousness, you should start by watching some vids about how to ride with platform pedals.

There is a technique to it. Downward pressure from body weight into the pedals is primary. That means get off your ass. Perch (light body weight, if at all), don't sit heavily on your saddle, except in smooth stuff. Tilt the pedals a little, and wipe your feet like you stepped in sh!t and are trying to wipe it off. You can't just pick your foot up and expect it to stay. That is how you get off the bike.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dniemeye View Post
    Don't worry. The kit is fine. It'll just take time for you to get used to them. The pedals and shoes are good, you'll like them. Or get clipless...

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    You may try removing the pins in the middle of the pedal. On my Hope pedals they were kind of slippery and after removing the center pins they grip much better. It's like the ghetto way of getting a concave pedal shape.