We Are One composites Bar/Stem- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: SLCpowderhound's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    128

    We Are One composites Bar/Stem

    Hey all, I had been searching a few months back for what bar/stem combo to use for a build and wanted to try something new. In my search I had narrowed it down to a few choices and ultimately ended up with the bar/stem combo from We Are One. 8oomm carbon bar with a stem that comes in either 35 or 45mm lengths. I went with the 45mm. It took a bit of time from ordering to delivery, but with everything going on right now I could not complain.

    Once I finally got it and unwrapped it I was completely floored. It is easily the sexiest looking bike part that I have ever seen. Completely blacked out w/ no logos or engravings of any kind. 4 bolts total (2 for steer and 2 for bar) make it look even better.

    I have only ridden it on 3 rides and am still adjusting to the new bike and the wider-than-I-typically-ride bars, but I can say that they are awesome! I may end up trimming them down just a hair to 780, but that is TBD.

    If anyone is looking for a high end bar/stem I would very strongly consider this option.

    https://www.weareonecomposites.com/s...da-package-510

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 006_007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    9,250
    Quote Originally Posted by SLCpowderhound View Post
    Hey all, I had been searching a few months back for what bar/stem combo to use for a build and wanted to try something new. In my search I had narrowed it down to a few choices and ultimately ended up with the bar/stem combo from We Are One. 8oomm carbon bar with a stem that comes in either 35 or 45mm lengths. I went with the 45mm. It took a bit of time from ordering to delivery, but with everything going on right now I could not complain.

    Once I finally got it and unwrapped it I was completely floored. It is easily the sexiest looking bike part that I have ever seen. Completely blacked out w/ no logos or engravings of any kind. 4 bolts total (2 for steer and 2 for bar) make it look even better.

    I have only ridden it on 3 rides and am still adjusting to the new bike and the wider-than-I-typically-ride bars, but I can say that they are awesome! I may end up trimming them down just a hair to 780, but that is TBD.

    If anyone is looking for a high end bar/stem I would very strongly consider this option.

    https://www.weareonecomposites.com/s...da-package-510
    It does look really good - but I am not wild about dropping 400 cdn bucks for a stem/bar combo built to a new standard (33mm) when there is no other options available.

  3. #3
    Rocks belong
    Reputation: 06HokieMTB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    5,177
    Quote Originally Posted by 006_007 View Post
    It does look really good - but I am not wild about dropping 400 cdn bucks for a stem/bar combo built to a new standard (33mm) when there is no other options available.
    So this is interesting. It's a 35mm stem, a 33mm bar and a 1mm (x2 walls) alloy sleeve.

    Da Bar has also been designed to a 33mm diameter in order to drop the stiffmess and allow for the sleeve to slide into our 35mm clamp diameter of Da Stem. A new way of thinking about 35mm.
    I guess I don't understand why the industry keeps trying to make 35mm ride less harsh/more flexible? (Looking at you We Are One and OneUp). Hey, maybe just stick with 31.8mm?
    I like 'em long, low, slack and playful

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mfa81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    2,244
    Quote Originally Posted by 06HokieMTB View Post
    So this is interesting. It's a 35mm stem, a 33mm bar and a 1mm (x2 walls) alloy sleeve.



    I guess I don't understand why the industry keeps trying to make 35mm ride less harsh/more flexible? (Looking at you We Are One and OneUp). Hey, maybe just stick with 31.8mm?
    I think the issue is they can make 35 lighter fornthe same strength/durability but that can also make the bars stiffer and harsh on your hands... but thatís just a guess from all Iíve seen about 35 vs 31.8 seems light harshness was an unwanted side effect

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 006_007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    9,250
    Quote Originally Posted by 06HokieMTB View Post
    So this is interesting. It's a 35mm stem, a 33mm bar and a 1mm (x2 walls) alloy sleeve.



    I guess I don't understand why the industry keeps trying to make 35mm ride less harsh/more flexible? (Looking at you We Are One and OneUp). Hey, maybe just stick with 31.8mm?
    The sleeve also has nipples for alignment.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: SLCpowderhound's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    128
    Quote Originally Posted by 06HokieMTB View Post
    So this is interesting. It's a 35mm stem, a 33mm bar and a 1mm (x2 walls) alloy sleeve.



    I guess I don't understand why the industry keeps trying to make 35mm ride less harsh/more flexible? (Looking at you We Are One and OneUp). Hey, maybe just stick with 31.8mm?
    Nobody hates changing industry standards more than me, but honestly, that is what facilitates where we are today with MTB tech. You are unlikely riding an 1 1/8" straight steer tube frame/fork but also likely pedaling a not so sweet press fit BB. Some changes are great and some need more refinement or are just plain bad.

    I don't see this bar/stem from We Are One as a new standard but more of a bar/stem combo that has 2 stem length options. It feels like they just wanted to create the best (in their opinion) handling bar possible and often times you can't do that unless you know what stem is being used. This helps control more variables.

    It is a real expensive way to be locked into one size bar or stem, and the option to swap out stems if that one just isn't quite the right fit is not there, which could suck.

    In reality though, I know very few people wanting more than 800mm bar width and it seems the trend of going as wide as possible is regressing and the stem lengths of 35 & 45mm seem to also be the sweet spot for modern long-reach bikes.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 006_007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    9,250
    Quote Originally Posted by SLCpowderhound View Post
    Nobody hates changing industry standards more than me, but honestly, that is what facilitates where we are today with MTB tech. You are unlikely riding an 1 1/8" straight steer tube frame/fork but also likely pedaling a not so sweet press fit BB. Some changes are great and some need more refinement or are just plain bad.

    I don't see this bar/stem from We Are One as a new standard but more of a bar/stem combo that has 2 stem length options. It feels like they just wanted to create the best (in their opinion) handling bar possible and often times you can't do that unless you know what stem is being used. This helps control more variables.

    It is a real expensive way to be locked into one size bar or stem, and the option to swap out stems if that one just isn't quite the right fit is not there, which could suck.

    In reality though, I know very few people wanting more than 800mm bar width and it seems the trend of going as wide as possible is regressing and the stem lengths of 35 & 45mm seem to also be the sweet spot for modern long-reach bikes.
    True most people dont want anything wider then 800mm, but that is only one aspect of bar adjustments - some poeple 20 mm of rise doesnt work. And lets not even start looking at all the new sweep options that are starting to come available.

    I guess a regular 35mm bar will still work with the stem? Not sure if the nipple interface makes this possible or not?

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: SLCpowderhound's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    128
    Quote Originally Posted by 006_007 View Post
    True most people dont want anything wider then 800mm, but that is only one aspect of bar adjustments - some poeple 20 mm of rise doesnt work. And lets not even start looking at all the new sweep options that are starting to come available.

    I guess a regular 35mm bar will still work with the stem? Not sure if the nipple interface makes this possible or not?
    That's a good question. They specifically say that they are to be used together so I am unsure if you can slip a standard 35mm bar in it or not. You can't buy them separately so I would think that if you are going to shell out for them you would be sure that the specs of that bar fit your bike.

  9. #9
    mtbrer
    Reputation: reamer41's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    964
    I have the bar combo with 45mm stem, as well. I trimmed my bars to 780. Very nice bar and stem. Iíve been using these for 6 months or so and Iím very happy with them.

    There is no new standard here as the interface between bar and stem is 35mm. There would be nothing to stop anyone from using the bar with any other 35mm stem. The nipple locates the bar within the sleeve and wouldnít interfere with another stem.

    Whether you could run a different bar with their stem just depends on whether you could slip a standard fatter bar thru the clamp as there is no removable faceplate.
    --Reamer

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 006_007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    9,250
    Quote Originally Posted by reamer41 View Post
    I have the bar combo with 45mm stem, as well. I trimmed my bars to 780. Very nice bar and stem. Iíve been using these for 6 months or so and Iím very happy with them.

    There is no new standard here as the interface between bar and stem is 35mm. There would be nothing to stop anyone from using the bar with any other 35mm stem. The nipple locates the bar within the sleeve and wouldnít interfere with another stem.

    Whether you could run a different bar with their stem just depends on whether you could slip a standard fatter bar thru the clamp as there is no removable faceplate.

    Ok that makes a bit more sense - reading the literature on their site it's talking about the nipple providing alignment but all it really does is aligns the sleeve to the bar - not the overall alignment of the bar in relation of the stem.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: OldHouseMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    4,431
    Is there an advantage to this style of stem over the standard stem with a 4 bolt front plate? There seems to be several manufacturers offering stems similar to this one.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 006_007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    9,250
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHouseMan View Post
    Is there an advantage to this style of stem over the standard stem with a 4 bolt front plate? There seems to be several manufacturers offering stems similar to this one.
    Very clean lines that look good.

    Bit lighter as less hardware

    Potentially greater clamping area with less stress risers.

    And did I mention it looks good?

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Velodonata's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    964
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHouseMan View Post
    Is there an advantage to this style of stem over the standard stem with a 4 bolt front plate? There seems to be several manufacturers offering stems similar to this one.
    With 4 bolt plate stems, you are essentially squishing the bar between two plates, yes they are shaped to match the round profile of the bar but it is still functionally two plates being pulled together. With this style stem and other similar ones, it is more like a clamp wrapped around the bar and it seems like this would provide a more even force to the bar to hold it securely with less stress to the structure of the bar. At least that was how it looked to me when I was trying to convince myself that buying one of those Intend Grace stems was a good idea. And I did get one, it's quite similar to the WAO stem, maybe a little cleaner looking with the front bolts tucked underneath. Installing bars is a minor trick and not all bars will fit, it worked fine with my SQlab 30X bar.

Similar Threads

  1. We Are One Composites
    By WeAreOne_Composites in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 496
    Last Post: 07-14-2020, 11:13 AM
  2. WE ARE ONE Composites
    By Derp in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-06-2017, 11:05 PM
  3. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-05-2014, 11:59 AM
  4. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-01-2011, 10:11 PM
  5. Flat Bar vs Riser Bar? Bar ends? No Bar ends?
    By sperky in forum Endurance XC Racing
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-30-2007, 02:05 PM

Members who have read this thread: 82

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.