Are these Raceface chester pedals I ordered busted?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2014

Are these Raceface chester pedals I ordered busted?

Ordered a set of Raceface Chesters off Amazon and... they have some gouges around some of the pins and they do not spin freely at all.

Is this normal? My other Chesters don't spin great, but even after 2 years there isn't nearly as much resistance as these have. See vid below.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/GqEyr4ZtczrhapUd6

I'm going to return them, but I'm not sure if its normal for these pedals or I just happen to have a bad set. If it's typical, I'm going to buy some other pedals...

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    The 2 pair of chesters I have both came pretty stiff like that. They loosen up after some use. They definitely didn't come with rust and gouges though. Looks like you got a returned pair of pedals

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Well they're not supposed to come pre-gouged (looks like someone dropped one of the pedals on the other one ) but you'll forget all about that after a couple rides. Mine will only spin a couple revolutions if I give em a good flip. Corrosion on the spindle is unacceptable.

Bikesexual
    I have them on all of my bikes and they always arrived in perfect condition.

Love Chesters.
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit
    Surly Cross-Check

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Thanks for the feedback. Submitted the return. I bought a $20 pair of "Fooker" at the same time just because I wanted pedals that say "Fooker." They appear to be of much better quality and the bearings actually spin. Which just seems wrong. Actually Im using these on a DJ so if they have some resistance to spinning, I prefer that... they'll stay in place when taking my feet off the pedals.

BTW re the Fooker pedals, the shape isn't as good as the Chesters. The spindle area is thicker... not sure why anyone would want convex shaped pedals. But they do say Fooker.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Update: Received Chesters from a different seller. These have no rust or gouges. They don't spin very freely but that was expected.

Note, there's a Fooker branded Chester clone. But they don't come in blue.

Big thumbs down to the prior seller, "zealotop", for selling used pedals as new.

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    Raceface Chester pedal donít spin all that freely in the beginning but do get a little better with use. I do like the Chester pedals with that composite material it doesnít jar you as bad as some of the aluminum pedals when pedal strikes occur. Shame on that previous seller. Never good to scam somebody especially these days with social media.