SQ labs grips- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: SQ labs grips

  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    153

    SQ labs grips

    Has anyone here tried them? I can hardly find more than 2 sentences about them anywhere, and even then it's always in a review of a group of grips where it maybe got a few hours rotation and conclusion of "Yeah, they're comfy." I'm specifically interested in the 711 and ulnar nerve compression and pain, but generally I'd love to hear any experiences and opinions about any of their grips.

    And, preemptively, Ergon GE1 grips are also on my radar, along with the other multitude of cockpit/posture/etc. changes I can make to try to alleviate pain.
    Last edited by looks easy from here; 05-10-2020 at 03:20 PM.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Velodonata's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    963
    I'm on the 710 grips right now, they are my current favorites. I have tried a variety of grips over the years to alleviate hand numbness and pain. Ergons were my favorite, then I tried RevGrips and liked them enough to stick with them over the Ergons. A friend with similar issues told me he was having good luck with the 710s so I gave them a shot, and I wasn't disappointed. The SQlab 30X 12 degree carbon bars have helped, too.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Posts
    41
    Quote Originally Posted by looks easy from here View Post
    Has anyone here tried them? I can hardly find more than 2 sentences about them anywhere, and even then it's always in a review of a group of grips where it maybe got a few hours rotation and conclusion of "Yeah, they're comfy." I'm specifically interested in the 711 and ulnar nerve compression and pain, but generally I'd love to hear any experiences and opinions about any of their grips.

    And, preemptively, Ergon GE1 grips are also on my radar, along with the other multitude of cockpit/posture/etc. changes I can make to try to alleviate pain.
    Keep us posted if you try them. I was looking for more info on those as well. My hands go numb often and I was looking for a solution. I found a good deal on the Ergon ga3, the one with the wing, and gave them a try. After about 40 miles, I'm happy. It takes a bit of tinkering with the angle to dial them in but it's not hard. I was concerned about control on the downhills, but it hasn't been an issue. If anything, they allow me to loosen my grip a bit and absorb vibrations well. I'm an 8-9 in hestra gloves and got the L version of the ga3.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    153
    Velodonata, thanks for the info.

    Idawho, I will. In regards to your comment on angle tinkering, one of the things that has me hesitant to just roll the dice on the 711s are the reports that they can be difficult to get on without hairspray or something similar (by design), which I imagine would mean they'd be nearly impossible to make small angle adjustments to, especially when out on the trail where you'd really be able to test what's personally ideal.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    62
    I ran 70X grips for a season and recently tried 711s for a few months. I have small hands and loved the feel of the 70X. The only downside was that the rubber was so soft that it eventually wore down till the integrated plastic barend was exposed and started bothering me. This was over ~1000 miles of XC and gravity riding.

    I bought the 711s as replacements for the 70X.

    Install: I sprayed the bar with rubbing alcohol and pushed the grip on. If you cover the end with your palm and push, the grip goes on easily. There is a manufacturing line on the grip, I just made sure the line is straight. Give it some time in warm weather and the alcohol evaporates, leaving the grip firmly in place with zero rotation.

    You are right, there is no way to adjust the angle on the bars. You would need to pull them off, respray alcohol, and reinstall.

    Why I pulled them off permanently:
    There is no integrated barend on 711s and I am too hard on them. I set my bike down frequently, nondrive grip and pedal touching the ground. I have also crashed and cored out the rubber barend. I was looking at getting barend plugs but just decided to go back to Ergon GE1s.

    I really liked the shape and feel of the 711s. Similar to 70X, but because there is no plastic core the rubber is thicker and the grip feels softer. I had no hand/arm pain with 711s but they were only used for XC/trail, no gravity.

    I used some old GE1s for a few weeks and found them comparably comfortable. Ordered a set of GE1 Evo slims and just installed them. Only weirdness is they extend the effective width of your bars about 5mm per side so I will now cut these bars again.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Posts
    20
    Very surprised to find this thread as I was looking into 70Xs and couldn't find anything on them. Didn't even know 711s were an option either.

    I have fairly large hands and tend to death-grip on descents, it's something I'm working on (alongside tinkering with brake lever angles) but I'm still having some pain even with GA2 Fats installed. I have a new bike coming and wanted to experiment again; I can't decide if I want an ergonomic grip like the 711 or GA3, or just go for the biggest diameter grip I can find like the ODI Rodeo or a silicone grip. I'm leaning towards trying a 711 now as the 70X doesn't come in Large. Thoughts?

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    153
    BigHerm, thanks for confirming my concerns about adjustment. Fwiw a couple days after posting that my concern had me nervous enough I pulled the trigger on a pair of GE1 Evos, instead of the 711s. I haven't put them through their paces yet (climbing trip coming up, and I don't want to reaggravate my wrist), but tooling up and down the street they're comfy and the ergonomics are subtle. They encourage a bit of a certain hand position, but I don't feel like I'll be locked into one position or risk discomfort. Update to follow once I get to try them out for real.
    Knorth - 2017 Jamis DragonSlayer Pro
    Tinkerbell - 1995 Trek 930

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: OneBoot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    48
    Quote Originally Posted by Velodonata View Post
    I'm on the 710 grips right now, they are my current favorites. I have tried a variety of grips over the years to alleviate hand numbness and pain. Ergons were my favorite, then I tried RevGrips and liked them enough to stick with them over the Ergons. A friend with similar issues told me he was having good luck with the 710s so I gave them a shot, and I wasn't disappointed. The SQlab 30X 12 degree carbon bars have helped, too.
    I have a question. I just ordered the 710s and the inner bar-ends for my new build with e*Thirteen Race carbon bars. I assume that since the 710s work on your SQLAB 30x Carbon bars, that they are carbon compatible? I can't find anything online about that.
    PDX Living - Commuter and Trail Rider
    2018 Fuji Nevada 1.5

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Velodonata's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    963
    Quote Originally Posted by OneBoot View Post
    I have a question. I just ordered the 710s and the inner bar-ends for my new build with e*Thirteen Race carbon bars. I assume that since the 710s work on your SQLAB 30x Carbon bars, that they are carbon compatible? I can't find anything online about that.
    Yes, they should be fine, they are carbon compatible.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: OneBoot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    48
    Quote Originally Posted by Velodonata View Post
    Yes, they should be fine, they are carbon compatible.
    Thank you!
    PDX Living - Commuter and Trail Rider
    2018 Fuji Nevada 1.5

  11. #11
    Baby Bear is in the house
    Reputation: r1Gel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,030
    Just found this thread today. The OP has already made the choice, but thought I'd give my 2 cents worth for anyone else who might be searching for info on the SQLab 711 Tech & Trail grips.
    I've had the mediums for about a year now, installed on a 12-degree back sweep 710mm-wide high rise bar on my rigid MTB.

    PROs
    - soft compound and smooth surface is comfortable. These are my first smooth grip and was surprised at how comfy the smoothness is even without gloves. It's also a tacky rubber so still grippy. It's on the extreme opposite end of the spectrum compared to the DMR Deathgrips on my other bike
    - shape is subtly profiled (not round) with flat spots and angled edges that help the hand wrap around the bar better (see the SQLab site for details). The slightly flat spot on the outer edge (heel of the palm) helps mimic the effect of a "winged" grip to some degree

    CONS
    - due to the design (small plastic sleeve inside), it's a pain to install and adjust and a bigger PITA to remove
    - though I haven't really worn it down yet, the soft material seems to wear down quite a bit when removing the grips to change cockpit components
    - the profiled shape (yes, also a con) will have a tendency to lock you down to one grip position (versus a more round grip) but I suppose to a lesser extent than a winged grip will
    - the "flat spot" on the outer edge may not be enough because...

    That said, I have recently been developing slight wrist pain after rides. My comfiest cockpit setup was years ago on another rigid MTB which had a Ragley Carnegie's bar (25-degree back sweep) and ergonomic grips. I found the ergo grips made for a less dynamic ride as it limited my hand movement on the grips when I had to move around on the bike so I veered away from that grip on the MTB and relegated it to the urban bike. I'm not sure if the wrist pain I'm experiencing now is due to the grips, the bar, or both.

    So now I'm looking at alternatives to the 711, namely the Ergon GE1s and the GA3s. I like the subtle shape of the GE1s (I'm thinking might be similar to the 711s) but the mini-wing of the GA3 might suit me better. My problem is, I don't know how either of these will play with the 25-degree bar (essentially the same as the Carnegie's) that will be replacing my current 12-degree sweep bar.
    Better to have and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

  12. #12
    Baby Bear is in the house
    Reputation: r1Gel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,030
    Quote Originally Posted by looks easy from here View Post
    BigHerm, thanks for confirming my concerns about adjustment. Fwiw a couple days after posting that my concern had me nervous enough I pulled the trigger on a pair of GE1 Evos, instead of the 711s. I haven't put them through their paces yet (climbing trip coming up, and I don't want to reaggravate my wrist), but tooling up and down the street they're comfy and the ergonomics are subtle. They encourage a bit of a certain hand position, but I don't feel like I'll be locked into one position or risk discomfort. Update to follow once I get to try them out for real.
    Any updates on your experience with the GE1s? Would be interested on how you're getting along with them.
    Better to have and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

Similar Threads

  1. I hate my saddle! Tell me about SQ Labs..
    By crash41984 in forum Components
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 04-12-2020, 05:13 PM
  2. Grips grips grips
    By JLDickmon in forum Clydesdales/Tall Riders
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 06-20-2018, 11:43 AM
  3. SQ Labs 611 Ergowave Active Saddle 15cm
    By jason300b in forum Classifieds
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-13-2018, 06:08 AM
  4. SQ Labs 311 Handlebar
    By kustomz in forum Components
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-09-2016, 12:42 PM
  5. Gravity Labs?
    By KTMDirtFace in forum Oregon
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-02-2011, 01:12 AM

Members who have read this thread: 79

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.