Specialized Command Post 75mm slams to top. Normal?- Mtbr.com
    Always in the wrong gear

Specialized Command Post 75mm slams to top. Normal?

Iím no stranger to droppers. Iíve had a Gravity, a Gravity knock-off, 2 reverbs, and a PNW over the years.
    I recently bought my wife a Specialized Fuze with a 75mm drop externally routed Command Post and was literally SHOCKED at the speed which it returned to the top of the stroke.
    I mean it SLAMS upward like a Gravity Dropper with a really stiff spring.
    I checked the air pressure, itís between 25 and 30psi, the manual says max 45psi.
    Frankly, it scares my wife, and makes me nervous. So itís definitely coming off. The question is: can I slow it down so itís usable? Or is this normal operation?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Shiftin' jumps and huckin' gears

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    My friend has a second hand command post (bought from another friend) and the return speed is that fast, so it should be normal.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Normal and nothing wrong with it.

I have the IR model and also a Race Face Aeffect (on another bike). I'll take the instant release any day over a yawner of a return speed.

When I press the button for the saddle to rise, I want it to um.....rise.

Give her a few uses and see what she thinks of it. I honestly can't think of a reason why one wouldn't like it. Internet claims are all over the place, but in the end it sounds like people don't like it because "it's faster than the others".

Confirm the manual is correct for your model too. I think my IR model (2016 bike) is stated as max pressure at 25 or maybe as much as 30. If I reduce the air it won't function properly. Excessive air is not good for the seals. In the cold though, it is slow to return all the way and it needs a bit of a lift to fully lock. I will probably service mine this fall with fresh grease. Yeah, that is off topic. But the speed you're describing is probably right nonetheless.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Command posts are one of the leading mountain bike related root causes of infertility....

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Formerly PaintPeelinPbody
    Yes, it should return super fast.

However, I would not let it do so too often. I "ride" my seatpost to its return position, or kinda use my leg to slow it's return.

To many top outs can damage the collet, and when that fails it'll need a full (and increasingly hard to source parts for) rebuild.
    Work - Utility GIS Analyst
    Party - 2019 Guerrilla Gravity Revved Trail Pistol Sz 3

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by PHeller View Post
    Yes, it should return super fast.

However, I would not let it do so too often. I "ride" my seatpost to its return position, or kinda use my leg to slow it's return.

To many top outs can damage the collet, and when that fails it'll need a full (and increasingly hard to source parts for) rebuild.
    If you are having to ride a seatpost up or use a leg to guide it up to prevent damage it is poorly designed...there are plenty that do not need to be coddled to perform correctly

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Always in the wrong gear
    It was quite the experience the first time. Seems very curious, I canít figure out why it was designed like that, when it very clearly doesnít have to be.

Regardless- itís on eBay now.

Shiftin' jumps and huckin' gears

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Impetus View Post
    It was quite the experience the first time. Seems very curious, I canít figure out why it was designed like that, when it very clearly doesnít have to be.

Regardless- itís on eBay now.

Darn. You're missing out.

Formerly PaintPeelinPbody
    The Command Post internals were also designed/first released nearly 10 years ago when we didnt have the options we did today and everyone thought the Reverb was the best thing ever. While other companies and designs have changed those internals mutiple times, the Command Post has stayed pretty much the same.

Me? Ive been running two of them for nearly 4 years. They both do what I need them to do - go down when I press the SRL remote and up when I press it again.

They are also one of the few droppers that offer and offset head, the other being the $400 NinePointEight. Unfortunately Specialized has revised the deisgn and no longer offers an offset head on the newest Command Post ďV4Ē, making it pretty much identical to everything else on the market and its uniqueness of offset and ball-slapping return speed will be lost to history.
    Work - Utility GIS Analyst
    Party - 2019 Guerrilla Gravity Revved Trail Pistol Sz 3