Shortening dropper post cable- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2020

Shortening dropper post cable

The cable and its plastic sleeve for my new dropper post is about six inches longer than it really needs to be. Can it be shortened? I know the cable can be clipped, but what about the plastic sleeve?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pufferjumper View Post
    The cable and its plastic sleeve for my new dropper post is about six inches longer than it really needs to be. Can it be shortened? I know the cable can be clipped, but what about the plastic sleeve?
    Absolutely. Same basic principles of shifter cable/housing applies to the dropper cable/housing (it is the same materials)

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Yes, you can use a proper cutter to snip the cable housing. If you don't have one or can't borrow one, you can use a sharp side cutter and an old brake cable. Slip a piece of brake cable into the cable housing, use a sharp utility knife to cut away the sheathing and keep working the side cutters around the cable housing to avoid crushing it. Push the shifter cable through the housing to push out the snipped end of the brake cable if it was cut off in the process. Use a small nail to round out the housing.

mtbr member
    ^^^ yeah. That "plastic sleeve" is called housing. There are a few different types but in this case it's shift housing. Dropper post remotes use the same cable and housing as shifters. It has many parallel hard steel wires around the bore. Cutting it without a proper tool is not easy. You want a reasonably clean perpendicular cut with an end that's not crushed so as to impede the movement of the cable.
    What, me worry?

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    Shortening dropper post cable-10-1.jpeg

Shortening dropper post cable-10-2.jpeg

Here is what I am working with. I don't really see how I can shorten the cable at the post end, as it will be too short to attach it and allow it to slide into the frame. So, based on that, I think I should do it at the lever. How do I should I go about detaching the cable from the lever? Do you think I should shorten it or just leave it? You can see how far it sticks out past the other cables.

mtbr member
    It doesn't matter if you shorten it at the lever or at the post, it will all be the same after you slide the housing through the frame.

I'd shorten it if it were mine but you don't really have to.
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Here's how I'd do it.

Measure how much of the dropper is inserted into the seat post from the top of the seat post to the bottom of the actuator.

Remove the dropper and shifter cable from the housing.

If the cable is clamped at the lever:

Pull up the cable housing slack from the head tube so that the loose end at the dropper is at the same level as the top of the seat post.

Turn your handlebar way over to the left so that it is almost 180 degrees.

To get your proper shifter housing length, match up the cable housing to the barrel adjuster of the lever with just enough slack so that it's not tugging but not so much that it's bunching up and mark the point on the housing.

From that marked point, subtract the insertion depth of your dropper and cut at the shifter housing at that point.

Remove the lever from your handlebar or rotate your handlebar all the way over to the right. Depending on how much slack you have, you may need to remove it from your handlebar.

Install the shifter cable on the dropper post actuator and feed it all the way through the shifter housing.

Install the dropper into the seat post to your proper sitting depth, picking up the shifter housing slack from the head tube area. Make sure that you didn't accidentally pull the housing away from the dropper.

Install the ferrule on your shifter housing and feed it into your dropper lever.

Pull up any slack on the cable.

Snug down the cable clamp screw to the recommended torque setting.

Snip wire approx 2" from the pinch point or your cable may instantly fray apart.

Add a cable end and crimp it down.

Install the lever back onto your handlebar.

If cable is crimped at the actuator:

Remove shifter cable from housing.

Turn handlebars 180degrees to the left.

Insert the housing end into the lever barrel adjuster and pull up the housing slack from the seat tube and place a mark on the housing the the same height as the top of the seat tube.

Carefully pull up the housing from the seat tube so that you don't accidentally pull the loose end into your down tube.

Subtract the insertion depth of your seat post on the housing and cut it at that mark.

Remove the lever from your handlebar or turn it all the way over to the right. Depending on how much slack you have, you may need to remove it from your handlebar.

Feed the shifter cable from the lever into the cable housing.

Get the shifter housing ferrule into the barrel adjuster.

Install the other housing ferrule at the other end.

Measure how much loose cable is needed, install the barrel clamp and snip the loose cable.

Install the barrel into the actuator.

Insert the dropper while pulling up the housing slack from the headtube area.

Mount back the dropper lever.

mtbr member
    I'd say you could clip off about 8 inches of housing and be ok. It looks like the shift cable might be a little short? Maybe it's just the pic.
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    I always cut cables/hoses so that the bars can turn 180 degrees in both directions, as they often wind up this way after a getoff. That's usually only an inch or two longer than cables that only allow 90 degrees, as they only have to wrap around the head tube a little more.

Yeah. Shift cable looks short in the pic.
    What, me worry?

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    Thanks for the reply. It is the angle that makes the shifter cable look short.

For the dropper post. Is it possible to shorten it from the lever on the handle bar (see above pic 2)? It has a sleeve type nut a few inches from the lever that you twist to increase/decrease cable play. I'm not sure how to disconnect it here, and am concerned if I go investigating without know how I may mess it up.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Just take a pair of wire cutters and snip it right here.
    Shortening dropper post cable-cut.jpg

....No, not really.
    1. You'll have to undo the cable from under the dropper
    2. Pull out the cable
    3. Cut the housing and discard the access
    4. Insert the cable back into the housing
    5. Reattach the cable back to the dropper.

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    Thanks guys, I was able to do it no problem from the seat post.