Seatpost compliance.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2018

Seatpost compliance.

So Iím building up a new titanium hardtail. Iím trying to decide between an ENVE seatpost or a syntace hiflex. Will I notice any difference between the two posts? The frame supplier is offering either one free of charge, so I thought Iíd ask. Leaning towards the syntace because itís actually designed to flex a bit.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    It's been a few years since I've ridden a Enve( they could have changed the layup)....but the Syntace was noticeably softer riding (in a good way).

But...it also matters how much seatpost is exposed. On my mtb with a 19" seat tube....rides much softer than a bike with 4 inches less seatpost exposed.

I run Syntace on most of my hardtails.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by the mayor View Post
    It's been a few years since I've ridden a Enve( they could have changed the layup)....but the Syntace was noticeably softer riding (in a good way).

But...it also matters how much seatpost is exposed. On my mtb with a 19" seat tube....rides much softer than a bike with 4 inches less seatpost exposed.

I run Syntace on most of my hardtails.
    There will be almost all of the 400 mm post exposed, maybe a cm of wiggle from the lowest insertion point. But itís 30.9, so I was worried it might not matter too much which post I choose. Thanks for the feedback!

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Dromos123 View Post
    There will be almost all of the 400 mm post exposed, maybe a cm of wiggle from the lowest insertion point. But itís 30.9, so I was worried it might not matter too much which post I choose. Thanks for the feedback!
    That's a red flag, there's a good chance over time you'll crack the frame with that much exposed seatpost, especially given the nature of Ti welds. Although you might have significantly more than the "min insert", that just means you won't break the seatpost, but that much exposed seatpost makes a huge lever on the frame and can be a huge issue. I have broken a frame due to this, even with massive insertion depth. You should talk to the frame builder about this and see if they think it'll work.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.