Seat is tearing my a.. up- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2015

Seat is tearing my a.. up

Not sure if this is the right place to ask but here it goes. Just upgraded my bike from a 2014 bronson to a 2019 bronson. Bought all new components including a wtb silverdo 130 wide. First ride I love the bike but the seat had me walking funny for a few days. It rubbed me raw. Next I took that saddle off and put my old wtb volt on that I've been using for years without issues and it did the same thing today. Any suggestions ? I don't think it's the seat being I used it for years on the old bike. I've tried moving forward and back and changing the the angle with no results. How's a guy supposed to ride like this

Super Moderator SuperModerator
    Get a new ass, since you don't think it's the seat?

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Thanks your a big help. Why didn't the exact seat do this for the last 4 years smart ass

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Be a bit more specific. When you say rubbed raw you mean chafing, as opposed to sore sit bones? That sounds like a body position or mechanics issue is making you move around on the saddle in way you didn't on your previous bike. Is the fit significantly different, and if so can you alter it with bar/stem/seat position changes?

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by wayold View Post
    Be a bit more specific. When you say rubbed raw you mean chafing, as opposed to sore sit bones? That sounds like a body position or mechanics issue is making you move around on the saddle in way you didn't on your previous bike. Is the fit significantly different, and if so can you alter it with bar/stem/seat position changes?
    Thanks. It's rubbing my ass crack raw to be blunt. Nothing to do with my sit bones. The new bronson geo is different but wasn't expecting this. The bike is so badass but this has to be figured out

mtbr member
    ^^^ That's a new one on me. Sounds like something unrelated to the saddle, like yeast or something.... For raw crack I use A&D ointment.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    No itís not like that. Itís from rubbing me. Maybe my bars are too low they do feel lower than the old bike

Up In Smoke
    Rubbing? Sounds like you're moving around too much on the saddle. Possibly a bike fitment issue.

since 4/10/2009
    why is your crack raw? your crack isn't supposed to touch the bike. unless you're using this saddle.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Train Wreck View Post
    Rubbing? Sounds like you're moving around too much on the saddle. Possibly a bike fitment issue.
    I went from a small frame to a small frame. It is 5 years newer. I think you guys are right on fitment. Not on bike size but the way I got it set up. Unfortunately I already cut the steer tube but I got 20mm of spacers under the stem already. Bars are 20 mm rise renthal fat bars. Maybe turn the stem over and try to bring it up a little. I love the way it handles and climbs the way it is. This is frustrating to say the least

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Thank god im not using that !!! I have no idea, like I said same saddle as I've used for 4 years. Same liner shorts the only thing that changed is the bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    why is your crack raw? your crack isn't supposed to touch the bike. unless you're using this saddle.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015

Maybe I'm too far forward on the seat. Our trails are short burst climbs with lots of technical stuff so I'm all over. Maybe when I come to pisgah this summer you can come ride and see what's going on

since 4/10/2009
    I'll bet this comes down to saddle position on the new bike compared to the old one. The frame geometries are subtly different, too. So if the saddle position is a little off, I could see it causing issues.

What measurements did you take to ensure proper placement of the saddle?

I know that when I built up my new bike last week, I measured like hell to get the saddle in the same position. Still, I'm sitting in a slightly different position, so I'm a little sore because slightly different parts of my butt are getting slightly different pressure. It's not nearly as bad as what you're describing. For me, it's in the realm of "just get used to it" so I'm fine. But, I'm also making a much bigger change in frame geometries than what you are.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    I'll bet this comes down to saddle position on the new bike compared to the old one. The frame geometries are subtly different, too. So if the saddle position is a little off, I could see it causing issues.

What measurements did you take to ensure proper placement of the saddle?

I know that when I built up my new bike last week, I measured like hell to get the saddle in the same position. Still, I'm sitting in a slightly different position, so I'm a little sore because slightly different parts of my butt are getting slightly different pressure. It's not nearly as bad as what you're describing. For me, it's in the realm of "just get used to it" so I'm fine. But, I'm also making a much bigger change in frame geometries than what you are.
    I never got measurements unfortunately. I had to tear the old bike down and cut the frame for a warranty replacement. I know the new santa cruz has a longer reach. Funny thing is I felt instantly comfortable on the bike as far as riding,jumping and climbing. I don't even notice it till I get home. I purposely built it with a 10mm shorter stem trying to make it feel more like the old bike

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jjglass535 View Post
    I never got measurements unfortunately. I had to tear the old bike down and cut the frame for a warranty replacement. I know the new santa cruz has a longer reach. Funny thing is I felt instantly comfortable on the bike as far as riding,jumping and climbing. I don't even notice it till I get home. I purposely built it with a 10mm shorter stem trying to make it feel more like the old bike
    In that case, you're going to need to start over, I guess.

One thing I found with my new frame having a MUCH steeper seat tube angle (I'm using the exact same saddle on both bikes) is that I had to tilt it MUCH differently than I expected to get a more "neutral" feeling. I use the WTB Volt, also. And even though it's a fairly flat saddle, it does still flare up in the back just a tiny bit. I actually had to nose it up just a touch so that the flare wouldn't push my body onto my hands.

So even though I measured TF out of the saddle height to be sure that would be correct, and I measured TF out of the reach to ensure that the fore-aft was correct, I still had to tweak it until it felt right, and I still have to get used to it.

Plus, maybe you just need to recover from the silverado before you can assess whether putting your old volt back on will be any improvement.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    In that case, you're going to need to start over, I guess.

One thing I found with my new frame having a MUCH steeper seat tube angle (I'm using the exact same saddle on both bikes) is that I had to tilt it MUCH differently than I expected to get a more "neutral" feeling. I use the WTB Volt, also. And even though it's a fairly flat saddle, it does still flare up in the back just a tiny bit. I actually had to nose it up just a touch so that the flare wouldn't push my body onto my hands.

So even though I measured TF out of the saddle height to be sure that would be correct, and I measured TF out of the reach to ensure that the fore-aft was correct, I still had to tweak it until it felt right, and I still have to get used to it.

Plus, maybe you just need to recover from the silverado before you can assess whether putting your old volt back on will be any improvement.
    I do think
    Your on to something with the new set tube angle. Itís a lot different. Here is old vs new Seat is tearing my a.. up-img_1500.jpgSeat is tearing my a.. up-img_1385.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Is it possible that the first saddle rubbed you raw and the old one is fine, just rubbing on the raw parts?

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by TwiceHorn View Post
    Is it possible that the first saddle rubbed you raw and the old one is fine, just rubbing on the raw parts?
    As I reread things when I was making my last post, that possibility did occur to me. Phrased it a bit differently, but absolutely is a factor. Can't really make much of an assessment about the old saddle on the new frame until you've healed up from when you actually got rubbed raw.

Super Moderator SuperModerator
    Thanks your a big help. Why didn't the exact seat do this for the last 4 years smart ass
    You don't crack jokes well, do ya?

mtbr member
    OP- your old Bronson and your new Bronson are different bikes. Angles and ergonomics are different. You are not in the exact same riding/pedaling position on the new bike as the old. Your contact points are being weighted and used differently.

After the TAINT TRAUMA heals up and scars over, do the following:

Try some different padded liner shorts. Mix it up for a bit.
    Get a new Volt saddle as well since you know it works for you.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by 11053 View Post
    OP- your old Bronson and your new Bronson are different bikes. Angles and ergonomics are different. You are not in the exact same riding/pedaling position on the new bike as the old. Your contact points are being weighted and used differently.

After the TAINT TRAUMA heals up and scars over, do the following:

Try some different padded liner shorts. Mix it up for a bit.
    Get a new Volt saddle as well since you know it works for you.
    I do have a new volt coming next week. I just used this one to see if it was the Silverado or something else. I believe it's the new geometry. I'm supposed to ride Sunday so it'll be tough to ever heal up. After Sunday I'll give it a full week. Also going to move the saddle angle tomorrow and see if that changes things

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Try some extremes and pedal around the neighborhood to see whatís the cause. Also change one thing at a time. For me itís always taken a few rides to get a new bike in the zone and even longer until I feel itís perfect. That last little part are those subtle things like rolling the bars that tiny bit or that slight seat angle change. In the beginning I go big to see what way I need to go. Just like bracketing suspension adjustments.

Al

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by allen mueller View Post
    Try some extremes and pedal around the neighborhood to see whatís the cause. Also change one thing at a time. For me itís always taken a few rides to get a new bike in the zone and even longer until I feel itís perfect. That last little part are those subtle things like rolling the bars that tiny bit or that slight seat angle change. In the beginning I go big to see what way I need to go. Just like bracketing suspension adjustments.

Al
    Thanks, all good suggestions and I will definitely be making some changes

Hitching a ride
    I'm not sure what the problem is but I've been using the PRO Turnix saddles for the past few months and nothing cradle my grundle like those. Love em. Also maybe try some lotion to ease up the friction.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Schulze View Post
    I'm not sure what the problem is but I've been using the PRO Turnix saddles for the past few months and nothing cradle my grundle like those. Love em. Also maybe try some lotion to ease up the friction.
    Been using lots of assos chamois cream. May go back to butt butter or whatever itís called. Ran out so tried the assos but I think the purple tube stuff does a better job

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Some type of glide cream seems like it could provide relief to prevent chafing.

It sounds like the contact area is skin on skin, not saddle on skin. I suppose it could be possible that your contact patch is different (wider), now allowing skin contact to seat that has never before occurred for you.

I would like to cast my vote for setup/geometry. My newer bike has a steeper seat tube than the other bike I own. I've had to change the tilt on that seat slightly different than on the other bike to make the riding position/seated position, feel the best. In my case, I needed to tilt the front downward a little to reduce the pressure point while leaning forward during climbs.

Like mentioned above though, a little healing needs to occur before you can really start dialing in the comfort zone.

In the meantime, a chafing prevention cream may be good.
    I've used Body Glide as a runner. It's a little cheaper than other products, maybe -but is in a small deodorant type applicator. I have used only a few times a rides as I don't seem to need any creams or padding to ride a bike. Just the inner legs during long runs. We humans are all sized differently though.

Good luck.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Update: I want to thank Harold and everyone else. Harold talked about the geometry difference and tipping the nose of the seat up. I did that and rolled the bars back 1 degree and rode 16.5 miles today and feel great. Could've gone another 16 miles if my back could take it. This bike is so much fun I have a permanent smile on my face all day. Thanks everyone

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Been using lots of assos chamois cream. May go back to butt butter or whatever itís called. Ran out so tried the assos but I think the purple tube stuff does a better job
    I just use Neosporin. Works great for me and having antibacterial down there is extra safeguard from saddle sores.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Worst case scenario: get a good liner for your shorts. Glad that you got it figured out. I also have a Bronson V3 and love it! Fun bike.