Seat Recommendations- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    8

    Seat Recommendations

    Iíve tried 3 bike seats and Iím still not comfortable after about 10 miles. Can anyone give me some advice on a good seat for my Trek Fuel EX? I just started wearing padded shorts and they help some.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    423
    Your bum bones will get less sore the more you ride.


    Just ride.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: objectuser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    538
    Yeah, +1 for ride more. You might decide the seat doesn't work for you, but hard to know at the beginning.

    https://www.sheldonbrown.com/saddles.html

    Outside of that, measure your sit bones, see if they are too wide for your seat. But mostly ride for a while and build up some tolerance.

  4. #4
    Wanna ride bikes?
    Reputation: *OneSpeed*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    8,154
    Quote Originally Posted by sccues View Post
    Iíve tried 3 bike seats and Iím still not comfortable after about 10 miles. Can anyone give me some advice on a good seat for my Trek Fuel EX? I just started wearing padded shorts and they help some.
    What saddles have you tried? Are you having the same issue/feel from all of them or different types of discomfort depending on the saddle?

    Generally speaking there are three widths of saddles. Narrow, medium, and wide. Knowing which one you require is a good first step (actually the first step should be padded shorts, which you've now done).

    SQ Labs has an excellent fit system and I think they will send you a free fit kit, or they used to.

    Some saddles that seem to work for a wide range of people are the WTB Volt, SDG Bel-air, SQ Labs, etc.
    SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

    Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    8

    Removed the SQ Lab Seat

    Quote Originally Posted by *OneSpeed* View Post
    What saddles have you tried? Are you having the same issue/feel from all of them or different types of discomfort depending on the saddle?

    Generally speaking there are three widths of saddles. Narrow, medium, and wide. Knowing which one you require is a good first step (actually the first step should be padded shorts, which you've now done).

    SQ Labs has an excellent fit system and I think they will send you a free fit kit, or they used to.

    Some saddles that seem to work for a wide range of people are the WTB Volt, SDG Bel-air, SQ Labs, etc.
    For the comments about riding more, Iím retired and I ride 10 miles or more daily unless itís raining or I have something special to do. We have walking/bike trails where I live and I take advantage of them.

    These are the saddles Iíve used:

    Fabric Scoop Gel - this one hurt after about 6 miles

    WTB Rocket - Iíve ridden the most with this saddle, but my last ride with it was painful and I switched to the SQ Lab 612.

    SQ Lab 612 is on the bike right now and it felt ok this morning for 10 miles (I wore 2 pairs of padded shorts for the first time after switching to this saddle and it helped).

    Well the SQ Lab 612 lasted 2 days and I put the WTB Rocket back on my bike. I wore 2 pairs of padded shorts today with the SQ Lab Seat and I was sore as heck when I got off the bike. Iím going back with the Rocket seat with 2 pairs of padded shorts. I have some padded underware on order and Iím hoping they will have more padding than the shorts do. I ordered 2 different brands from Amazon to see which one works the best with the padded shorts.

    I guess itís just me and my body size. I weigh 200 lbs and Iím 5í9Ē tall and Iíve been riding for 7 years this last stretch. Iíve ridden at least 5 days a week 10 miles or more since I got my 2015 Fuel EX 9 P1 (I had an X-Caliber 8 before the Fuel) and Iíve upgraded all of the components in the last year (wheels, SRAM X01 Eagle Dub Groupset, Carbon bars, pedals, Garmin 830). This seat situation has got me puzzled and I know thereís something out there that will work better for me than what Iím using. Any help or advice will be appreciated.
    Last edited by sccues; 05-19-2020 at 09:12 AM. Reason: Change to post

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    8
    Well after 15+ miles this morning I hope Iíve solved my seat problem. This was my fourth seat that I tried and thereís no way I could have ridden 15 miles on the other three seats I tried. Iím now using a Serfas Terrazo seat (155mm) with Sponeed padded bike shorts. I was getting worried that there wasnít a seat that would work for me, but the Serfas Terrazo is great and very reasonably priced especially compared to the SQ Lab seat I tried.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by sccues View Post
    Well after 15+ miles this morning I hope Iíve solved my seat problem. This was my fourth seat that I tried and thereís no way I could have ridden 15 miles on the other three seats I tried. Iím now using a Serfas Terrazo seat (155mm) with Sponeed padded bike shorts. I was getting worried that there wasnít a seat that would work for me, but the Serfas Terrazo is great and very reasonably priced especially compared to the SQ Lab seat I tried.
    https://www.modernbike.com/product-2...xoC3AoQAvD_BwE

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-25-2014, 09:55 PM
  2. Kid (or Toddler) seat recommendations
    By sk1er18 in forum Families and Riding with Kids
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 09-27-2013, 07:38 AM
  3. Bontrager seat pack failed, recommendations?
    By mack_turtle in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 09-18-2011, 05:30 AM
  4. seat recommendations?
    By Markus_037 in forum Beginner's Corner
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-25-2011, 03:10 PM
  5. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 08-31-2006, 09:12 AM

Members who have read this thread: 66

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.