Sealed Cartridge to Dub BB, Possible?- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: }{yBr!D^'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    177

    Sealed Cartridge to Dub BB, Possible?

    Hello all, I'm looking into getting a Liv Bliss 3 for my wife, the bike comes with a 3x8 drivetrain and the BB is a sealed cartridge. I want to change that out to a NX Eagle 1x. The Liv site doesn't specify anything besides that it's sealed cartridge. Would there be an issue with the conversion, or would I need a Pressfit?

    The Liv site is so limited with their bike tech description, I do plan on swaping out the Suntour for a better fork and changing out the mechanical brakes for a modest hydraulic system.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Timothy G. Parrish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,347
    Quote Originally Posted by }{yBr!D^ View Post
    Hello all, I'm looking into getting a Liv Bliss 3 for my wife, the bike comes with a 3x8 drivetrain and the BB is a sealed cartridge. I want to change that out to a NX Eagle 1x. The Liv site doesn't specify anything besides that it's sealed cartridge. Would there be an issue with the conversion, or would I need a Pressfit?

    The Liv site is so limited with their bike tech description, I do plan on swaping out the Suntour for a better fork and changing out the mechanical brakes for a modest hydraulic system.
    This is a very low-end bike. Not sure why you'd even attempt to upgrade, as that SRAM groupset costs almost as much as the bike, but I digress...

    Pressfit will not work. It's probably a threaded BB using the older 68/73 cartridge found on mountain bikes years ago. These can be swapped out with the X-type external cup BBs, but the crank spindle probably won't fit.

    You'll probably have the same situation with the fork. That frame doesn't have a tapered head tube, so at best you'll need a 26 inch fork with a 1-1/8 straight steerer tube, which are getting harder to find.

    Unless you have free parts to throw at it, I wouldn't bother. Your better off buying a different bike because you'll probably spend as much after trying to upgrade.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: }{yBr!D^'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    177
    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy G. Parrish View Post
    This is a very low-end bike. Not sure why you'd even attempt to upgrade, as that SRAM groupset costs almost as much as the bike, but I digress...

    Pressfit will not work. It's probably a threaded BB using the older 68/73 cartridge found on mountain bikes years ago. These can be swapped out with the X-type external cup BBs, but the crank spindle probably won't fit.

    You'll probably have the same situation with the fork. That frame doesn't have a tapered head tube, so at best you'll need a 26 inch fork with a 1-1/8 straight steerer tube, which are getting harder to find.

    Unless you have free parts to throw at it, I wouldn't bother. Your better off buying a different bike because you'll probably spend as much after trying to upgrade.
    I hear ya, it was mainly so she can have a petite option since she is 5'1" with a possible inseam of 26, so the Liv line would fit her best but I'm not keen on 2x/3x setups, just wanted to see if its possible and/or worth it. I crunched the numbers and with everything being upgraded it does come out close to a starter FS bike $1500.

    I might as well go get her a FS... Screw it. Lol

    Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    2019 Ibis DV9
    2019 Niner Air 9 (Alum)
    2018 Orbea Loki 27

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Timothy G. Parrish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,347
    Quote Originally Posted by }{yBr!D^ View Post
    I hear ya, it was mainly so she can have a petite option since she is 5'1" with a possible inseam of 26, so the Liv line would fit her best but I'm not keen on 2x/3x setups, just wanted to see if its possible and/or worth it. I crunched the numbers and with everything being upgraded it does come out close to a starter FS bike $1500.

    I might as well go get her a FS... Screw it. Lol

    Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    Look on eBay for a 2015 Kona Process134 SE. This was made for shorter riders, and was an excellent bike. They show up regularly as they didn't sell as many. Here's one now:

    https://www.ebay.com/itm/2015-Kona-P...y/333279022040

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: }{yBr!D^'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    177
    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy G. Parrish View Post
    Look on eBay for a 2015 Kona Process134 SE. This was made for shorter riders, and was an excellent bike. They show up regularly as they didn't sell as many. Here's one now:

    https://www.ebay.com/itm/2015-Kona-P...y/333279022040
    Awesome find, ty kind sir.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Lone Rager's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    7,188
    Yes, you can go Dub from sealed cartridge BB. It's a BSA threaded BB.
    Do the math.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-22-2014, 06:35 PM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-13-2012, 05:35 AM
  3. sealed cartridge bottom bracket st suggestions?
    By blacksheep7vi in forum Fuji
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-15-2012, 10:32 AM
  4. What is lighter ? Sealed derailleur pulley or not sealed ?
    By Megaclocker in forum Weight Weenies
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-28-2006, 06:21 AM
  5. hub-a-dub-dub
    By lidarman in forum Riding Passion
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 02-13-2004, 07:51 AM

Members who have read this thread: 18

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.