Saint clips vs XT and XTR clips- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Saint clips vs XT and XTR clips

does anyone have any back to back type comparison riding with the big Saint clip pedals vs the other Shimano's?

they are bigger, heftier, wider, etc. does it make a diff on the trail? do you even notice the platform diff under foot with a stiff shoe?

i'm large of foot and wondering if these are a step up from my XTR pedals (of a couple yrs ago).

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    I recently switched from saints to XTs and think it was the right decision. I ride in some pretty rocky terrain and notice less pedal strikes with XTs due to the smaller platform. The weight savings is also nice.

I cant notice a huge difference, I have a pretty stiff shoe.

Depending on how many pins you run its a bit harder to unclick.

mtbr member
    H1 T1's mang, they're the sweet spot. Took the best of Shimano and crank brothers and made a trail pedal.

Sent from my moto g(6) forge using Tapatalk
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    I recently switched from saints to XTs and think it was the right decision. I ride in some pretty rocky terrain and notice less pedal strikes with XTs due to the smaller platform. The weight savings is also nice.

I cant notice a huge difference, I have a pretty stiff shoe.

Depending on how many pins you run its a bit harder to unclick.

about that unclicking thing. i might like that. sometimes i feel the unclicking is rather abrupt when unplanned. i wouldn't mind being more aware and some friction when using body english and twisting the feet a little in the pedals. do you gain that with the Saints or is that more of a negative trait.

Nat
    mtbr member
    I canít honestly say that they feel any different underfoot. Visually the Saints appear much larger than the most current XTs but when I stack one on top of another theyíre actually not that big of a difference.

Saint clips vs XT and XTR clips-facb9927-fcf7-41ce-8c95-02e248882545.jpeg

Saint clips vs XT and XTR clips-6373ce14-f464-4e52-b58d-b0f2e668f5cc.jpeg

Saint clips vs XT and XTR clips-9ee4c6b8-0b29-42cf-8180-624a19f75ed9.jpeg

Saint clips vs XT and XTR clips-d2e221dd-685e-4944-89de-b5de9ad26007.jpeg

Saint clips vs XT and XTR clips-08fb26bd-24f3-4672-b5f8-55cb23be59aa.jpeg

Jesus, MTBRís photo upload function totally blows.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Saint clips vs XT and XTR clips-217547b9-13ba-4078-b91c-83ff3a93f6b0.jpeg  

Look Pro, Go Slow
    Oct 2018
    I just switched from M8020 XT Trails to M820 Saints (with an ill-advised detour through a pair of Crank Brothers Mallet E LS pedals). Iíve been riding SPDs for ages and the engagement/disengagement mechanics are just what Iím used to. The XTs and Saints are totally identical in that regard. Same feel getting in, same feel getting out. I also havenít noticed any increase or decrease in pedal strikes.

For me, the big differences are a) the amount of support when youíre clipped in and b) what itís like to ride when youíre not clipped in.

When youíre clipped in, the Saints feel more secure. It feels like Iím not floating on the pedals as much, which is exactly what I wanted. Less of a greasy feel, more secure when throwing your hips around. I have a fairly stiff shoe ó Lake MX 168 Enduros ó*so itís not a big difference in rigidity. But itís definitely a big difference in how easy it is for my feet to twist. Twisting my feet in the Saints has noticeably more friction than the XTs. The contact patch between the pedal body and the sole of my shoe is a lot bigger on the Saints than the XTs.

When youíre not clipped in, itís possible to ride on the Saints without shitting yourself. The ďplatformĒ on the XTs is mostly just to protect the retention mechanism from strikes and to make it a little easier to clip in quickly. If you try to stand on it while clipped out, youíre hosed. The Saints arenít a substitute for a flat pedal, but if you canít get clipped in before a rock garden, itís not the end of the world.

Nat
    mtbr member
    ^ Valid points above but please note that the most current iteration of XT pedal (M8120) is noticeably bigger than the last (M8020).

mtbr member
    I haven't used the Saint pedals...but I've used other clip in platform pedals...but at least with the shoes I use (Sidi Dominator Fit and Mavic Crossmax XL)...the platform part does very little. Most of the support will come from the sole your shoes and the part of the pedal that actually supports the shoes are the sides of the pedals. I currently have the XT Trail (8020), XT (780), and XTR (9100)...and I can't tell any differences once I'm clipped in. For one ride I had the XT on one crank arm and the XT Trail on the other...I could not feel a difference.

I've also used an assortment of Crank Brothers pedals. The result is the same with those...so I just went with the lightest ones which are the Eggbeaters.

The only real benefit I can think of when it comes to using a clip in platform is if you're riding something sketchy...have to clip out...then clip back in...and can't clip back in. The larger platform will have more space to put your foot on until you can clip back in.

Look Pro, Go Slow
    Oct 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post
    ^ Valid points above but please note that the most current iteration of XT pedal (M8120) is noticeably bigger than the last (M8020).
    This comment got me thinking, so I borrowed a pair of the M8120s from a friend to compare against the M8020s. The new ones make a lot more contact with the sole than the old ones! Itís not a night-and-day difference, and itíll vary based on your shoes, obviously, but itís definitely better. Iíd say the M8120s are probably as snug when clipped-in as the Saints, honestly, and maybe a little easier to clip into, since you donít need to toe around any pins in the platform.

If youíre not clipped in, though, the Saints offer way more support.

I also brought my M8000 pedals from my gravel bike for comparison, and it was interesting. When I was clipped in, I couldnít tell the difference between the M8000s, which donít have the platform, and the M8020s, which do.
    Last edited by codahale; 06-02-2020 at 03:39 PM. Reason: typo

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by codahale View Post
    If youíre not clipped in, though, the Saints offer way more support.
    I'm going downhilling in a couple of days and I'll be using some all-mountain style shoes that are slightly more flexible than my usual trail shoes. I swapped to my Saints pedals for the added platform and pins in case I end up riding unclipped in a jam.

Look Pro, Go Slow
    Oct 2018
    I took them for a few more rides and actually ended up ordering myself a pair of M8120s. I think theyíre better all-around than the M8020s by a long shot, and even better than the M820s. Theyíre easier to get into, a smidge thinner, and, for my relatively stiff shoes, about the same when clipped out.