Saddle that doesnít creak at rails- Mtbr.com
    Proudly Plus-Sized

Saddle that doesnít creak at rails

This isnít a ďcheck your seat clamp, clean the postĒ type question. Iíve done everything, the creak is coming from the rail/saddle base interface. Silicone spray, grease, etc doesnít fix it.

This is the 3rd Ergon SME3 saddle that this has happened to, so itís obviously not for me. I canít get more than 100 miles out of them, unfortunately they fit me best but I have to move on.

Anyone have any suggestions? Iím more of a sit and spin rider than a standup and mash guy, so need some comfort but really just one that doesnít start creaking and flexing in the wrong places.

Thanks for any advice ~
    MTBR: Your dad's online mountain bike forum.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I had an SMC4 and the rails creaked inside the nose and read of the saddle after a few months of use. I tried lubing it and it would be stay quiet for a few miles and the creak came right back. I returned it for a new one.

From what I could see, the rails were not putting tension into the nose and rear of the saddle where they are mounted and thus were able to bend and move. Manufacturing defect? Maybe.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Just curious- have you tried graphite powder?

Out spokin'
    I have several bikes (including road) outfitted with Fabric (brand) Scoop (model) saddles. None of them make a sound. I have no idea how the shape of this saddle compares to the saddle you mentioned, but anyway there it is.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

Proudly Plus-Sized
    Quote Originally Posted by jaks View Post
    Just curious- have you tried graphite powder?
    Where? In the rail inserts? No I havenít.

Proudly Plus-Sized
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus View Post
    I have several bikes (including road) outfitted with Fabric (brand) Scoop (model) saddles. None of them make a sound. I have no idea how the shape of this saddle compares to the saddle you mentioned, but anyway there it is.
    =sParty
    Thank you, I will check them out.

Proudly Plus-Sized
    Quote Originally Posted by the-one1 View Post
    From what I could see, the rails were not putting tension into the nose and rear of the saddle where they are mounted and thus were able to bend and move. Manufacturing defect? Maybe.
    This makes sense. I think itís more of a flaw than a defect, as itís happened to several for me and thatís spread out over the past couple of years on different bikes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Might want to try dripping melted wax into the rail slots on the saddle. I had a saddle that creaked a bit but most of the time it was dirty mounts or corroded nuts on the top of the seat clamp.

Liberal cleaning and water proof grease resolved those.
    83 Ritchey Everest
    95 Bianchi Mega Tube ti
    2015 Kona Operator Supreme
    2019 Kona Process 153 CR 29

Proudly Plus-Sized
    Brand new seat post, and saddle is 1.5 months old. No ďcleaningĒ issues to speak of.

Itís a saddle. In the grand scheme of things, it will cost me $100 to replace it, not an issue I just donít want another that will do the same. Iíve been riding a long time and these Ergon saddles all seem to suffer from this issue in my experience, so time to move to another brand. Never had this issue with any other brand except Specialized Henge. Unfortunately the Ergon just fits me well, but the creaking (and saddle movement at the rails) isnít worth the frustration anymore.

mtbr member
    Just a thought, but throwing a bunch of lubricant in there doesn't actually fix the issue....the rails having movement. Maybe injecting some resin epoxy in there will fill any void available for the rails to move.
    The member formerly known as Redtires....

mtbr member
    Do the Ergonís creak regardless of the rail material?

Iím now set on SQLabs 611 saddle, non-Active version. I had issues with saddle comfort until I came across this saddle. Take look: https://sqlab-usa.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    My 1 1/2 month old WTB Rocket Race has started to squeak. Iíve had 2 previous ones that didnít squeak if I kept rails clean, etc. Looking at the construction of the new one (same version as earlier ones) its obviously cheaper made. Same weight 233g. But this is my last WTB. Nothing is fixing the squeak. Good luck in your quest for a squeak free saddle but pass over WTB.
    2018 Canyon Exceed CF 8.0 - 29"
    2016 Canyon Strive CF 9.0 - 27.5"
    2009 Titus Motolite - 26"

Keep on Rockin...
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Handlebar View Post
    Just a thought, but throwing a bunch of lubricant in there doesn't actually fix the issue....the rails having movement. Maybe injecting some resin epoxy in there will fill any void available for the rails to move.
    Yeah.

I had a few Henge saddles by Specialized that always creaked. A few drops of light oil would be a fix but the creak always came back.

They were cheap saddles so I drilled small holes over where the rails inserted into the saddle. The drilled holes were deep enough to contact the rails. I then injected epoxy. Fixed the issue.

That was a long time ago and have since change over to an Ergon (and another brand). No creaking with those.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    My multiple fabric scoops never creak, one model with chromo rails one with carbon.

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus View Post
    =sParty
    I'll second the scoop. The shallow version came with my bike and I expected to swap it out. Turned out to be a great saddle. They are priced well too.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I have 5 WTB Volts between me and my girlfriend. The first 4 are quiet and well made. I just bought my 5th, titanium model. Unrelenting squeaks and creaks. The new WTB saddles are not as well made. Very disappointed in WTB cheapening such a great saddle.

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    my carbon velo angle glide and its chinese close, are dead quiet and light