Road vs MTB saddles?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2020

Road vs MTB saddles?

I rode twice my new Chisel and already realized I hate the saddle. I am not sure if it’s the width or the shape but this saddle definitely doesn’t work for me.
    A few years ago I installed a Specialized Romin on my road bike and I love this saddle. Very comfortable, I can ride for hours and not think of it.
    Should I just ignore the fact that it’s a road saddle and buy another Romin?
    Whats the real difference between a road and a MTB saddle?

Formerly of Kent
    No such thing as a road or MTB saddle. Pick one that works and ride it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I agree with picking what works, but I do find I like a different saddle on road vs mountain bikes. On the road bike I'm typically a bit more forward and low, rest on a more forward portion of my sit bones and need a narrower saddle with a healthy cut out. On mountain bikes I'm a bit further back on my butt, like my saddles 10-15mm wider and don't have a problem with crotch numbness necessitating the cut out.

Everybody's different, but the same saddles don't work for me on both road and MTB.

Doer of Awesome
    I actually fell in love with Selle SMP saddles on the road bike and put a Stratos on my mountain bike and never looked back .... The most comfortable saddle for me bar none. I realized after the fact that the red saddle and the distinctive SMP shape looks remarkably like a chili pepper which fits perfectly on my Salsa
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Road vs MTB saddles?-img_4312.jpg  

Last edited by SuperUltraKel; 02-18-2020 at 10:40 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post

True, but different saddles are made for different riding positions. If your position on the mtb is similar your position on the road bike than the same saddle will work for both but if your position on the road bike is really aggressive and you're way more upright on the mtb they might not.
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    Road saddles might be a bit narrower than a Mountain one. I've got a Spesh Power and an eBay carbon one...which looks like its based off an older Spesh Toupe saddle.

mtbr member
    Naming a saddle the "Chisel" had to be a tough sell.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    If you found a saddle that works for you, go with that. That is tough enough to do. It's so nice to end a long ride & not have a numb tush.

For years I just got by with a ton of passable saddles. Tried a WTB Volt team 142mm & have never looked back. I've picked up about 5 in total for all my bikes & friends. Great saddle although a bit to swallow at full MSRP.
    83 Ritchey Everest
    95 Bianchi Mega Tube ti
    2015 Kona Operator Supreme
    2019 Kona Process 153 CR 29

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Just ride what you like. I use a "road" saddle on my mountain bike. I also use "bmx" grips. I also ride in board shorts and cotton t shirts most of the time, and don't even own any cycling specific clothing. People often thrive thinking outside the box. Check out Alexandera Houchin. She set the tour divide mountain bike race women's record...on a single speed....wearing work boots!

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Think a “natural” saddle should be used for mt. biking, you are outdoors, desiring to commune with nature, et al.....
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Elitest thrill junkie
    I had an interesting experience in the iditarod this year and I think it contributed to my injury: I didn't realize that I hated my saddle, because I tended to ride a lot of technical trails, moving back and fowards, up and down, so I really never spent long hours pedaling while sitting on it. I did training rides doing just that, but I didn't always do it with this bike. The injury was tweaking my knee due to the deep snow and constant dismounts/remounts on the bike, but hating the saddle made me try to pedal out of the saddle more, putting more stress on my knee and increasing the distance to the ground for my center of mass when I had to put a foot down. Saddles are very hard to choose, there are tools to help, but no sure-shots unfortunately. I'm going to try the Bikeyoke Sagma, for it's compliance, although I have some other saddles I'm pretty happy with. It seems the more suspension I have and the more I have to move around the bike (tech terrain), the less I care about the saddle shape/fit. The other important addition will be a dropper post. It should be noted that I was using a pretty nice suspension seatpost (kinect), but a saddle shaped the wrong way still overrides any benefit there when you are pedaling for hour upon hour.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.