RF Chester platforms- Mtbr.com
    BigSki
    Jan 2014

RF Chester platforms

Has anybody had any issues with foot numbness at the ball of your foot? My thought is that the spindle on the Chester has just enough center rise-above-the-plane to cause this pain. Wanting to like these pedals, I've tried adjusting my foot position and loosening my 510's--any other guesses? A flatter more concave platform?

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    I had numbness with Chesters and 510's. Never once had issues (a few years) with the running shoes.

I got rid of the 510's for a year until my running shoes were becoming too beat up to continue using.

I now have Bontrager Flatline shoes.
    I still deal with foot position and numbness but I'm getting it sorted out. I have to say, I had numbness from the 510/Chester combo every ride for about a dozen rides before I gave up.
    I've only had issues once with the Flatline in as many rides now.
    I'm a ball-of-the foot rider, and it is by the the most comfortable, and powerful, foot position for me. I've switched more to a mid-foot placement and it's better.

I don't notice the axle, however I did notice it when I first bought the pedals. Even in the soft running shoes, I stopped noticing the feeling and it has not been a feeling through the Flatline shoe either.

I'm not trying to sell you a shoe, but yes I've had problems and not sure what to attribute it to. Maybe it is pin position. Could be the axle.

It has been suggested to me to try an insole. I never have, and the more I hear about it, the more I have considered.

I have a high arch. According to the running store, I have a wide foot. My foot seems to fit daily wear shoes no problem (it doesn't feel snug), and I don't expect I'd have foot issues from a daily shoe just walking around a little.

With the mid foot position I've been using lately, it seems to be better. And I really only notice it on long pedal climbs that last at least 20 minutes. By pedally I mean there is no chance to not pedal at all. On trail segments are are up, down, coast, whatever -I have absolutely zero problems with the feet.
    For me I think it has a little bit to do with how tight I keep them. I tend to keep them pretty loose but if I do pull the laces up a tad too much I'm more aware.

I hope you can find a good position and ride happy!

Edit: I forgot to mention that I installed Specialized plastic stock pedals and still had numbing wearing the 510's. So I don't really know if the pedal was the primary contributor.
    Last edited by Forest Rider; 01-28-2019 at 08:28 AM.

BigSki
    Jan 2014
    Great feedback, just what I was looking for. Since I still have the shoes but have gotten rid of the pedals, I'll find something that's more true-flat/concave with the axle and just try it with a more adjusted mid-foot position for a little bit longer. I also haven't thought about an insert like you mentioned OR a workout shoe I've already got. Thanks very much for the conversation, I'll keep you posted!

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    In my pedal research, the only noticeable concave pedals are not composite.

I did a bit of research for the 2nd bike that needed pedals. I ended up with Chesters again mostly because they can take a hit and not look like crap from dents and dings.

I'm interested to hear your results after riding in shoes that are not 510's, just to see if you have the same experience with, and without the shoe.

Like I said, I rode for 2 years in running shoes and not once had a problem with the pedals -it was only after using a stiffer soled shoe that the problem presented itself.

I did notice the axle when I first got the pedals but it was never uncomfortable in the runners.

mtbr member
    I have the chesters and use them with freeriders and impacts. They are fine for me. I did try the deity composite pedal once and the axle on that was very pronounced...sold them after a couple of rides. I agree with the above, the most concave pedals seem to be metal.
    I'm looking forward to regretting this.......

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Ive noticed that plastics are thicker on the axles also. since i like to use ball of the foot, i lean away from pedals that arent concave. shoes will make a difference, but maybe try swapping pedals with a friend for a ride or two.

i just ordered some fire eye broils. half off at chain something....

they are M3 if you feel the need to change the pins.

BigSki
    Jan 2014
    Since we've got a snow storm on the outside, thought I'd do some research on the inside. Any suggestions on a moderately priced, slight concaved, metal pedal I can look into? Talked with a LBS the other day--they carry Diety & Crank Bros. but not sure I wanted to make that investment just yet.

mtbr member
    I just ordered some fooker pedals. I have not had chance to ride them yet but for 26 bucks, why not.
    I'm sick of all the Irish stereotypes, as soon as I finish this beer I"m punching someone

BigSki
    Jan 2014
    Agreed--you can't beat the online cost to try out a couple sets for the price of one of the mainstream pairs--I always try and support my LBS. I've seen the Fookers, looking at
    Xpēdo, Wellgo. It's 9 deg. outside so I've got time. Thanks for the connection.

high pivot witchcraft
    Quote Originally Posted by BigSki View Post
    Agreed--you can't beat the online cost to try out a couple sets for the price of one of the mainstream pairs--I always try and support my LBS. I've seen the Fookers, looking at
    Xpēdo, Wellgo. It's 9 deg. outside so I've got time. Thanks for the connection.
    9 degrees? That's tropical. Bathing suit weather...

RF Chester platforms-fullsizeoutput_ab.jpg