My issue: hand pain, arm pump and wrist pain on long rides. All this discomfort surfaced on a new frame, where the old frame it did not previously exist.

Original setup - 50mm Stem, ESI grips, Raceface alloy handlebar 31.8 780mm

Background - I've been using ESI's silicone grips for a few years now and love a lot about them, but hate that they are so fragile. Clip a tree, lay the bike down wrong, or any number of scenarios in which the ends of the grips get cut and they are goners.

I've also got years of experience on lock-on grips, and I felt that most of them were too hard for my liking. I did however, love the durability and ease of install/removal.

I wanted something as comfortable and shock absorbing as ESI, but as durable as Lock-On. Oh, and they had to be relatively thin too, because despite having bigger hands, I actually like smaller diameter grips.

A really good sale on Revolution Grips for $38 had me sold.

Install - Pain in the neck. You've got pull apart the little rubber isolators, then gingerly put everything into the lock-on collars. Then stack the isolation rings, then hold everything together while sliding it onto your bars.

Ride - they do what they say they do. Arm pump and hand fatigue is less so with these grips than nearly all other grips I've tried. I barely notice their "slip" or (shear) rotational movement, and never feel like I'm in any less control over the bike than with traditional grips.

BUT

You are really limited to one hand position. The collars are big and intrusive, and if you like to move your hands around the bars you'll find yourself putting pressure on the collars. As a result, my hands hurt more, especially on the outside, after long rides. Which sounds at odds with "less hand fatigue" - I guess they hurt more, even if they are working better. I find myself changing up my grip right before descents to better center my hands on the grips.

This "single hand position" also didn't really do much for my wrist pain. The grips helped with that by reducing some of the fatigue, but after riding two hours my wrists still ached.

So I tried an SQLab 30x 12 handlebar. That helped with the wrist pain immensely, leaving me only with the discomfort of the lock-on collars of the grips.

So, do Revolution Grips help with arm-pump and fatigue as much as they say they do? I'd would say "it depends."

If you're used to riding dual-collar lock-on grips, these are the ultimate version of those.

If you're used to riding normal slide-on grips from ODI, ESI, OURY, etc, and you like move your hands around the bars, you may find the Revolution collars to be bothersome. What they make up for in shear reduction, they gain back in surface comfort.

What would I change?

A single-lock version of the Rev Grips with a soft end, either a collar covered by a grip flange or without an outside collar would be amazing.

I'd also want them slightly longer. I feel like these are narrower (127mm) than what's common in the industry these days. 148mm is nice.