mtbr member
    Sep 2018

Reverb rockshock stealth

Hi guys, MTB noob here.
    I have a Trek remedy 9 2015 that I bought from a friend. He said the dropper post has been rebuilt one year ago. It's a Rockshock Reverb. When i was washing it for the winter, it stopped working all of a sudden. Here is my problem. I noticed oil leaks on the dropper post button and on the other end when I lift it up.

Should I buy a kit to bleed it? Re build or buy a new one?

The seat is stuck halfway up. I can pull the seat with my hand and it slowly goes down to where it's stuck. I can pull it down a little but it gives hard resistance.

Thank you for the help. Sorry if I made any mistake as English is not my native language.

mtbr member
    Where on the button is it leaking? If it's at the hose fitting...you can get a new fitting and replace it. There is also a service kit for the button. I would take it to a shop and have them look at it. It could just need a new fitting and a bleed. If it needs a full rebuild...and depending on the cost of the rebuild...it might make more sense just to get a new dropper.

Button kit,
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/RockShox-Re...p0I:rk:75:pf:0

Fitting at the remote,
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/RockShox-Re...frcectupt=true

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    On the bottom of it close to the handlebars

mtbr member
    There are a number of o-rings in the remote. What you can do is use use some alcohol and wipe the remote...and then see if you can find exactly where the oil is leaking from.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Most people are telling me to change since Reverb is bad, your opinon?

mtbr member
    Step 1...if there are leaks, you need to find the source and fix. It could be as simple as loose fittings or more complicated like seals that need replacement. No way to know until you investigate source and verify any leaks are eliminated.
    Step 2...Bleed the unit per mfg guidance (SRAM / Rockshox website)

I'm a year into my new Kona which came with Reverb Stealth...I ride year round in temps as low as 10 degF. It worked fine when I set up bike in warm house but my first rides were in cold temps (Jan '18) and it stopped working. Brought back inside and worked fine once it warmed up. I bought a bleed kit and performed proper bleed. Since then it's been flawless for over a year in any temperature.
    12 Santa Cruz Heckler
    18 Kona Process 153 AL/DL (27.5)...

mtbr member
    The remote attaches to the hose by simply threading the barb into the hose. You take the remote off the bar and turn the whole remote to thread it into or out of the hose. There is no olive or nut. It is possible that the leak is at that point. You can unscrew the remote from the hose, cut off about 1/2" of hose, then thread the remote back onto the hose. Thread it on until the hose butts up against the nut but not any further as you can strip out the hose. Of course, once you do this, you need to bleed it. Also, the only support for the hose is that threaded barb which is exposed and can be broken. If that's the problem, then it barb must be replaced using the part linked to above.

The 1X paddle type remote attaches the same way but the barb is recessed in the end of the remote so better protected.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Iíd lean towards fixing the leaky remote and bleeding that first. Then bleed the post, if it donít work, buy another reverb (the newer ones are the revised B1 version, yours is the A1 or A2 iirc). At least that way youíd have a new post and the bleed kits for the future.
    Droppers are kinda tricky, none of them are problem free forever and all require some kind of maintenance or are even throw away posts. The worst part is even the cheap ones arenít cheap

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyKnight View Post
    Most people are telling me to change since Reverb is bad, your opinon?
    It depends on what's required to fix your Reverb. Like some if the other guys have mentioned...it could just be a simple fix. A new barb and a bleed is cheaper than buying a new dropper. I had an issue where I could not properly bleed my Reverb. Air kept getting into the line. I turned out to be a bad barb at the bottom of the post. I replaced it...and I've had no problems since.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by RS VR6 View Post
    A new barb
    Can you be more specific as to which part is the "barb"?

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Just realized the problem is probably due to me leaving my bike in my garage which is not heated. The bike sat around 2 days in a 0C / 32F temp. Any experiences with cold temp / problems? It is now in my house for 7 days still not working

mtbr member
    Mine works down to 0F. It gets slower and adjusting the speed control on the remote to max helps speed it up when cold. Once it warms up, it's back to normal. Cold should not cause leaks in the remote circuit.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Iíll represent a different train of thought. My Hightower came with a Reverb that was DOA out of the box. After researching it for a little bit, I personally decided i didnít want to invest in keeping the Reverb. Buying a bleed kit and fitting for the Reverb (all of my brakes are Shimano), recommended servicing that requires sending the seatpost back to RockShox - just didnít seem worth it. A LBS fixed it (bad trigger) and I sold it. Bought a PNW Components Bachelor instead which ended up being $20 more than I got for the Reverb. I know your situation is different, but think about how much you might end up spending now and in the future before you go too far and make sure it is worth it to you.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    That said - my friend has a Reverb: it is nice and he has had zero problems with it. Just wasnít worth it to me...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyKnight View Post
    Just realized the problem is probably due to me leaving my bike in my garage which is not heated. The bike sat around 2 days in a 0C / 32F temp. Any experiences with cold temp / problems? It is now in my house for 7 days still not working
    See post #8
    12 Santa Cruz Heckler

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Rager View Post
    Mine works down to 0F. It gets slower and adjusting the speed control on the remote to max helps speed it up when cold. Once it warms up, it's back to normal. Cold should not cause leaks in the remote circuit.
    EXACTLY my experience after I performed initial bleed when new over a year ago (see post #8)
    12 Santa Cruz Heckler