Recommend pedal compared to the Chester: bigger, same grip or better, <$150- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2020

Recommend pedal compared to the Chester: bigger, same grip or better, <$150

I have Raceface Chesters and they do the job with zero issues. But I'd like to try a pedal with a bigger platform because I have big feet.

So, I want a pedal that is bigger, but can't compromise grip of course. For me, the Chester is good enough. I'm on five ten pros. But if the pedal gripped better, I won't complain! But if it's equal, GTG.

Price is <$150. If I can only get bigger and grippier with the Stamp 11 at $300, I'll just buy another set of Chesters. If the pedal size is the same as or marginally bigger than the Chester, I'll just buy another set of Chesters.

Any recommendation?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    I have size 12 Five10 Freeriders, and I feel the same way about RaceFace Chesters that you do.

I tried a buddies pair briefly, and I thought they were just fine. But the platform could easily be larger, which is more noticeable for those of us with a bit larger feet.

I ended up on a pair of CrankBrothers Stamp 3's (size large of course), and I've been quite happy with them so far. I think I paid... $62? Maybe $58? Can't remember exactly. The Stamp lineup is all the same size, but they differ on weight, and how they are constructed. The higher end pedals are thinner, and lighter, but they all have the same size.

So no need to pay for the Stamp 11's if all you're after is platform size.

There are also the Kona Wah Wah 2's. I hear good things about them as well.
    Last edited by ocnLogan; 07-14-2020 at 11:57 PM.

LCW
    mtbr member
    Get a set of Crank Brothers Stamp 1 in size Large (<$50). They are lighter than Chesters too. Swap out the pins for like $5 worth of screws (get some M3x0.5x12mm).

Bonus too is that they use the same rebuild kit as all other Crank Bros (egg beater, candy,mallet).

Santa Cruz Tallboy 4

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Are 12mm too long?

LCW
    mtbr member

Recommend pedal compared to the Chester: bigger, same grip or better, &lt;$150

Quote Originally Posted by Whiterabbitt View Post
    Are 12mm too long?
    I find them perfect. Stock pins are 10mm long.

My pics above show the 12mm screws installed.

Santa Cruz Tallboy 4

mtbr member
    Oneup components

mtbr member
    Feb 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by derrapancio View Post
    Oneup components

I had chesters and now ride Oneup composite pedals, they are better than the chesters.

since 4/10/2009
    I wear size 12 shoes and I moved over to the DMR Vault pedals. They'd be at the absolute top of your price scale, but one reason I chose them over some others is because of the availability of reasonably priced repair parts (including spindles). I've had other pedals in the past that cost less overall, but the cost of service parts (especially the spindles) meant that buying new pedals was cheaper than servicing the old ones.

LCW
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    I wear size 12 shoes and I moved over to the DMR Vault pedals. They'd be at the absolute top of your price scale, but one reason I chose them over some others is because of the availability of reasonably priced repair parts (including spindles). I've had other pedals in the past that cost less overall, but the cost of service parts (especially the spindles) meant that buying new pedals was cheaper than servicing the old ones.
    Good point. DMR and Crank Bros have the most widely available and cheapest rebuild kits. Most LBS even carry them. Iíd say Crank Bros even more so.

I have some DMR Vaults. Fave pedal by far, but got the Stamp 1ís on the bike now because Iím weenieíing it lol. Even got Ti Spindles lol.

Santa Cruz Tallboy 4

EDR
    The Chester pedal has been a hit for a long time now. A simple composite pedal that works well with lots of grip and is inexpensive.

RF needs to take advantage of this pedals popularity and come out with a size large. I bet that it would be an instant success. I know I would pick up a pair ASAP if I could.

mtbr member
    Agreed. I think a large Chester would likely sell well.

That said, the Chester came out into a bit more of a vaccuum. There weren't nearly as many other good composite/low price pedals on the market then as there are now. So the competition is definitely much higher than it was before.

Also, Its worth calling out that the Stamp 1's (the only composite model in the Stamp lineup), have a slightly different pin configuration than the Stamp 2,3,7, and 11's. They have nine pins per side, rather than 10. So they're not symetrical on the pedal platform like they are on the metal offerings. Not a huge difference, but still worth mentioning.

mtbr member
    May 2020
    OK, so oneup aluminum vs Stamp1 large:

Oneup Aluminum looks to be bigger based on pin gap. But both are nice and big.

Oneup looks cooler

Stamp has non-shaped pin ends. In my brain, I assume that grips better than a hex-shaped fancy pin? Can anyone comment on the Oneup pedal pins and their ability to grip vs a raw screw tip?

My old pedals were aluminum, Chesters are composite, and I kinda like composite better.... (I'm not buying the Oneup composite)

Tough decisions. I wish the Oneups didn't look as good as they do. It makes it harder to buy on data compared to emotion

mtbr member
    No idea on the pins.

Just mentioning that Oneups pedals are slightly convex shaped. Meaning, the pins, and pedal platform in the middle is slightly taller than on the edges. This caters more to a "mid foot" pedaling style, because they expect the shoe to actually bend around the pedal somewhat, thus increasing traction.

The Stamp is flatter in comparison, but not concave (like the Diety TMAC). Thats actually the main reason I went with the Stamp over the Oneups personally, as I'm more of a ball of your foot-ish rider (lots of time on clipless pedals in the past).

That said, I now sometimes do intentionally do a more mid-foot pedaling position, but usually only on really long descents (> 5-10min of continuous downhill). So I get where they're coming from.

Just pointing out another difference .

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Thanks, I needed that explanation. I saw that they were convex, but had no idea why, or what the benefit was.

I'm also a previous lifelong clipless rider, and ride on the balls of my feet. I find they natrally go to a low heel position when I do that, and flats just felt completely natural after just one ride, I think that's partly why.

You know, except for "bombing" uphill when my leg wants to pull on the up stroke, which only works with my feet at extreme angles...

Anyways, good to know the rationale behind the convex shape. That helps tip the scales to the Stamp 1's.

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by ocnLogan View Post
    Agreed. I think a large Chester would likely sell well.

That said, the Chester came out into a bit more of a vaccuum. There weren't nearly as many other good composite/low price pedals on the market then as there are now. So the competition is definitely much higher than it was before.
    Totally true.

Where the Chester's have made their name is performance vs. cost. They are almost always less expensive than composite pedals in the same category. I don't think anyone's ever considered them to be the best pedals available... but I think they're often considered to be the best pedals at that price point.

40-50 bucks for a Chester large? I'm in.
    Just for reference I also have composite one-ups that I bought to replace my Chester's as I was looking for something slightly larger. After a few weeks of riding them I realized I actually like my Chester's better (better grip imo) so I've been back on them for a few months now. The one-ups are now on my teenage daughter's hybrid bike. She seems to like them, lol. I'll probably give them another go when it cools down and see what I think.

mtbr member
    May 2020
    settles it, I'm getting stamp 1's. I'll start with 10mm pins. I measured my chesters, they are also 10mm, I think M3's. So if I want to try 12's I'll buy a big box and swap out everything on all my pedals to give them a go!

Thanks guys.

EDR
    Yeah concave versus fat versus convex is a whole other thing.

My Chester's and my one-up composites feels similar in flatness. I do have Spank Spoon 90s on my son's bike. Those things definitely are concave and they feel awesome when I put my foot in them just riding around on flat ground as I kind of position my foot like I would clipless pedals. They're way too small for me to ride for real but I don't think I would like that super concave feel when actually riding trails. It just kind of limits where the comfort point is. Seems awesome for more towards the balls of your feet but not so good for mid-foot position.

One thing I have learned in the few months I've converted flats is I move my feet fore-and-aft quite a bit just depending on what's going on. I like that freedom to move about comfortably.

LCW
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride View Post

One thing I have learned in the few months I've converted flats is I move my feet fore-and-aft quite a bit just depending on what's going on. I like that freedom to move about comfortably.
    Thatís why Iíll never go back to clips. Switched to flats in 2013. The freedom to move my feet and not be stuck in one position is essential.

Santa Cruz Tallboy 4

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by LCW View Post
    Thatís why Iíll never go back to clips. Switched to flats in 2013. The freedom to move my feet and not be stuck in one position is essential.
    I'll agree there are definitely positives. Up until a few months ago I've been on clipless pedals exclusively since 2005. I won't poo poo on clipless, there are many benefits, but for me I'm finally feeling the "freedom" which is awesome. Who knows, in another year I might revert back to clipless. I definitely like them when I'm climbing that's for sure. I'm not really talking about long sustained uphills but rather short punchy super steeps. That ability to pull up as well as power down is pretty beneficial.

EDR
    I picked up a handful of m3x12 screws. I'm going to install them on my one up composites and see how that goes. At first glance they seem really long compared to the stock screws (I only installed one so far.) But maybe that will help eliminate my issue with them feeling less grippy than the Chester's.

Anyways if you take a nasty pedal slip pins on shins is what it is. Probably doesn't make much difference whether they're exposed 3 or 5 mm... Or 4 or 6 or whatever it might be.

If they seem too long I can always back them out a millimeter. With the nylock nuts they shouldn't move.

LCW
    mtbr member
    I picked up a handful of m3x12 screws. I'm going to install them on my one up composites and see how that goes. At first glance they seem really long compared to the stock screws (I only installed one so far.) But maybe that will help eliminate my issue with them feeling less grippy than the Chester's.

Anyways if you take a nasty pedal slip pins on shins is what it is. Probably doesn't make much difference whether they're exposed 3 or 5 mm... Or 4 or 6 or whatever it might be.

If they seem too long I can always back them out a millimeter. With the nylock nuts they shouldn't move.
    Trust me - the grip will be there. They look long but it will be worth it. Loving my setup!

Look at it this way - with more grip less chance for a shin hit

Santa Cruz Tallboy 4

EDR
    Trust me - the grip will be there. They look long but it will be worth it. Loving my setup!

Look at it this way - with more grip less chance for a shin hit
    Where I'm looking for an improvement with grip is on flat pedaling while seated and uphill seated climbing. My one-ups just don't seem to grab my shoes like my Chester's in those situations. They both are killer when you weight the pedals. No issues there.

mtbr member
    May 2020
    My local fastenal wouldnt sell me m3ís due to covid.

My other supplier had m3 14mm. I have 20 but probably wont use them. 14 seems just too silly.

LCW
    mtbr member
    My local fastenal wouldnt sell me m3ís due to covid.

My other supplier had m3 14mm. I have 20 but probably wont use them. 14 seems just too silly.

Get a box from amazon. 14 is way too long imo.

Santa Cruz Tallboy 4

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Yeah, I'm sure 14 is too long. I grabbed them because, uh, the price was right

Anyways, I've always made jokes in the past when shopping. "Do you accept CASH?". an old tongue-in-cheek joke from the LucasArts Archives, a witty one liner.

It's not funny anymore. People really don't accept Legal Tender anymore.

I really should offer a disposal service for anyone who doesn't want to risk being exposed to coronavirus through the handling of money.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ocnLogan View Post
    I have size 12 Five10 Freeriders, and I feel the same way about RaceFace Chesters that you do.

I tried a buddies pair briefly, and I thought they were just fine. But the platform could easily be larger, which is more noticeable for those of us with a bit larger feet.

I ended up on a pair of CrankBrothers Stamp 3's (size large of course), and I've been quite happy with them so far. I think I paid... $62? Maybe $58? Can't remember exactly. The Stamp lineup is all the same size, but they differ on weight, and how they are constructed. The higher end pedals are thinner, and lighter, but they all have the same size.

So no need to pay for the Stamp 11's if all you're after is platform size.

There are also the Kona Wah Wah 2's. I hear good things about them as well.
    I know OP already bought pedals, but for anyone else coming to this thread.

I Have size 12 feet. Use 5-10 Freeriders. I have Chesters, CB Stamp Large (these were the first ones before the numbering so equivalent to the 7), and Kona Wah Wah 2 composite.

My order of preference is 1. Wah Wah, 2. Stamp, 3. Chester

Wah has the largest platform and best grip out of the three. I did put longer pins on the Stamp and its better than stock, but that is because the pins got smash off so many times. The Chester works, but platform is pretty small. I mean my wife uses the same pedal.

Stamp has play in the bearings and I emailed CB and never hear back from them.

I broke a Wah on a really hard rock strike, but they are cheap enough that I didn't feel too bad about buying a new set.

Chesters just hum along although they don't get the use of the other pedals

I do like the Stamps, but the price. Stamp 1 looks nice though

BOOM goes the dynamite!
    I'll throw Deity Deftraps into the mix. Nice large platform and grip like nobody's business. They're my new favorite pedal and only $50.
    :nono: :thumbsup:

mtbr member
    May 2020
    I'm the OP

I settled on and bought the Kona Wah Wah pedals. I DO NOT like them.

Pro:
    HUGE. Wonderful platform surface
    Looks. not as good looking as a OneUp, but much nicer than a clunky chester, even in plastic.
    Pins. They are super long, and when they grip, they grip.

Con:
    Left foot slipped twice on a climb. Chesters didn't slip. Nail in the coffin tho is the second time, BOTH feet slipped and fortunately I came crashing down on the seat and not somewhere else. My ride would have got real fun had I slammed down onto the top tube with my dual air bags.

I'm taking them off. I think they will work for someone, just not me. I'll use my chesters, maybe try the CB STAMP.

---------

If anyone wants, I'll sell them my Kona pedals at a discount. How does $40 + ship sound for pedals with 5.6 miles on them? retail is $60, and I think they will fit in a SFRB if I package without the original box.

LCW
    mtbr member
    I'm the OP

Pro:
    Looks. not as good looking as a OneUp, but much nicer than a clunky chester, even in plastic.

Con:
    Left foot slipped twice on a climb. Chesters didn't slip. Nail in the coffin tho is the second time, BOTH feet slipped and fortunately I came crashing down on the seat and not somewhere else. My ride would have got real fun had I slammed down onto the top tube with my dual air bags.

I'm taking them off. I think they will work for someone, just not me. I'll use my chesters, maybe try the CB STAMP.

---------

If anyone wants, I'll sell them my Kona pedals at a discount. How does $40 + ship sound for pedals with 5.6 miles on them? retail is $60, and I think they will fit in a SFRB if I package without the original box.

Santa Cruz Tallboy 4

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    I have only ridden the aluminum Wah Wah 2s but not the composite, which apparently have fewer pins. They grip really well compared to my OneUps. And I ride really rooty trails with rooty downhills with no slippage. They keep my feet glued better than OneUps on both descends and climbs.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I'm the OP

Pro:

Con:

---------

Rabbit, sorry that was your experience and if my opinions swayed you that way.

I have not had that experience at all. I have had the Wah Wah composites on my Enduro and bigger trail bike. I never slip on them and they have the best grip out of any of my pedals.

The next grippiest (besides the Chester) is the CB Stamp (aluminum), but only with the taller pins that I have put on them. The stock ones were not that great. These might be different than what they come with now as these were the first Stamps before they were numbering them.

I did just buy the Stamp composites large. They are ok, but my feet have slipped on them a few times already. I think they need better pins.

In order of grip this is what I have found:

1.Wah Wah
    2.Stamp Aluminum with taller pins
    3.Chester
    4.Stamp composite

mtbr member
    May 2020
    I think I have come to the conclusion that I like composite pedals better, for the response when the occasional pedal strike does happen (obviously avoiding that in the first place is the best policy)

Seems like the chesters are the best pedal for me. Maybe sometime I'll try the stamp with longer pins since this seems to be a YMMV situation.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I like the Chesters, they just rank low overall for me because of the size. If I had size 10 dogs they would be on all my bikes.

LCW
    mtbr member
    I think I have come to the conclusion that I like composite pedals better, for the response when the occasional pedal strike does happen (obviously avoiding that in the first place is the best policy)

Seems like the chesters are the best pedal for me. Maybe sometime I'll try the stamp with longer pins since this seems to be a YMMV situation.
    Large Stamp 1 with longer pins is a no brainer. Stock they are lacking hence the pin swap (brings it to on par or better grip than Chesters). Told you what to get. But you went and got Wah-Wahs. Kind of ironic name for those honestly lol.

Anyways... good luck

Name:  wah.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  27.3 KB

Santa Cruz Tallboy 4

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Wah wah, as in a wah wah pedal for guitars and such. A play on words. A pun. A quick Google Translate says Wah Wah means Wow, Wow in Hawaiian.
    So not really ironic.

Also Stamps are fine, but you shouldn't have to add additional pins, CS is non existent in my experience, and historically shoddy bearings. I can attest to all of those.

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Large Stamp 1 with longer pins is a no brainer. Stock they are lacking hence the pin swap (brings it to on par or better grip than Chesters). Told you what to get. But you went and got Wah-Wahs. Kind of ironic name for those honestly lol.

Anyways... good luck
    Thanks. The goal was largest platform possible, and of course everyone says their pedal is solid for slips. 5 people all had 5 different recommendations, so I took a shot based on the metrics I was looking at, trying to dial the best improvement possible. No different than any other thread on any other topic. You did tell me what to get.

LCW
    mtbr member
    Thanks. The goal was largest platform possible, and of course everyone says their pedal is solid for slips. 5 people all had 5 different recommendations, so I took a shot based on the metrics I was looking at, trying to dial the best improvement possible. No different than any other thread on any other topic. You did tell me what to get.
    No worries man just trying to help. Any large Stamp, be it the composite 1 or the aluminum 2, 3 or 7 are HUGE. Almost comical. Seriously at first I thought I'd hate the larger size, with a size 9 shoe. But they offer great support for your whole foot and allow you to move around more - which is why I like flats in the first place vs being locked in with clips.

The small Stamps are seriously kid sized (smaller than Chesters). The Chesters I liked, just wanted something lighter so experimented with the Stamp 1's in both sizes. Realized right away the stock pins were not long enough. I like that the Stamps use Crank Bros eggbeater rebuild kit which you can get anywhere any time. Disagree with the above that they wear out any quicker than other pedals, but the upside is rebuild kits are widely and readily available.

Santa Cruz Tallboy 4

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Get a set of Crank Brothers Stamp 1 in size Large (<$50). They are lighter than Chesters too. Swap out the pins for like $5 worth of screws (get some M3x0.5x12mm).

Bonus too is that they use the same rebuild kit as all other Crank Bros (egg beater, candy,mallet).

The Stamp 1 is horrible with stock pins. Care to give me link where you found those 12mm pins? I am having trouble finding any.

EDR
    ^^^
    Just go to a real hardware store. Something like Ace where they have bins of loose nuts and bolts.

They should be M3 x by whatever length you want. M3 x 12 in your case.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004

Recommend pedal compared to the Chester: bigger, same grip or better, &lt;$150

I just got a set of Diety Deftraps, and the platform is big and it feels even bigger. Because of the lack of beveling at the front and back edges the platform extends a little farther back behind the spindle, and I think that is where I really feel the length of a pedal.

I bought these because I absolutely love the TMACs I treated myself to, and these were supposedly similar in the way they are concave (and a third of the price) Well it turns out they are not anywhere near as concave, but pretty much flat. Of course, many pedals that are supposedly concave are not, and have a thicker spindle right in the middle. These do not have that. They are very nice and flat.

Only one ride on them so far, so I donít have a lot to say other than they grip well and feel big.

Color options in stock right now are very limited.
    Last edited by kapusta; 1 Week Ago at 06:30 PM.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    ^^^
    Just go to a real hardware store. Something like Ace where they have bins of loose nuts and bolts.

They should be M3 x by whatever length you want. M3 x 12 in your case.
    Ace and Lowes had nothing. Going to need to find it online.

Think this is going to work in case anyone else wants to make their Stamp 1 rideable. Adds $10 to the cost of the pedals so...

https://www.amazon.com/Socket-Screws...67&s=hi&sr=1-6

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by yourrealdad View Post
    Ace and Lowes had nothing. Going to need to find it online.

Think this is going to work in case anyone else wants to make their Stamp 1 rideable. Adds $10 to the cost of the pedals so...

https://www.amazon.com/Socket-Screws...67&s=hi&sr=1-6
    Yep Amazon is a lot cheaper for these screws and you get a lot of extras. That extra 2mm makes a big difference in the Stamps, makes them worth keeping for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Deity Deftrap, a nylon version of the Tmac, great pedals, far better than the Chesters that they replaced.
    GG Shred Dogg 27+/29 (go fast!)
    RSD Wildcat V2 (backyard kicks)
    Pivot Shuttle 27.5 (wifeys)