Rear Unsprung Weight- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Rear Unsprung Weight

I've been resistant to upgrading for about the last ten years or so, because I've been quite happy with my 3x9 DW Flux for rolling terrain. I like quick, efficient, short travel 26ers, and I was tired (more like resented) of the industry's push of change for change's sake.

But I recently purchased what is now called a short travel 'down country' Banshee Phantom, and I'm mounting this enormous 'eagle' 10-50 cassette that weighs twice as much as my old mega 9. I'd prefer the gearing weight to be sprung and low, the way it used to be above the bottom bracket.

Is the industry not going the wrong direction here? I'd rather have the old 2x or 3x crank and fewer gears in the back for more efficient rear suspension performance. Are there other gains that I'm missing?

G.

mtbr member
    IMO the convenience of not having a front shifter and not having to think about changing into granny rings before that climb is worth it.

You do loose top speed pedalling. But for actual mountain biking the single is better. Also theres less chain falling off with te wide/narrow rings. Less clutter on the bars, less to go wrong.

The negative is that you spend a lot of time in the smallest cogs, the derailers need to be tuned more often and more precisely or shiftin turns to shit. Cassetes are EXPENSIVE. When it gets muddy they turn to shit sooner.

I also think they drive chain needs to be replaced sooner.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I should have put this in drivetrain forum...

mtbr member
    Sprung and unsprung weight doesn't make much of a difference on a bicycle. People used to say crazy things like one was worth 4 times the other, but it's just not true.

I think 11-42 is plenty, so I'm skipping the huge 50t cassettes. If you don't need that much range, theres weight savings there.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Agree on the eleven spd. I tried it and felt i needed the 50. But after adding a oval chainring was okay with it. Lots of weight saving. But its close to the axle so doesnt make much diff. Best to focus on nutrition etc.

mtbr member
    You have to just give the new stuff a chance.

I had a full xtr 9 speed bike, and honestly... it was total trash compared to even a new deore group. I'm really not exaggerating, its THAT bad. Its not change just for the sake of change. Especially with 9 speed, moving to 11 or 12 or anything with a clutch its a mind blowing difference, and that's not even getting into how much better the new profiles shift.

Yeah, its weighs a little more, but that doesn't matter much when it works 10 times better. I'd give it a shot. The weight is fine, its more about the range. The 10-50 range really is enormous. If it really bothers you, the xd driver 11-42 cassettes are cheap now, and weigh about what a 9 speed cassette did.

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    How about Box One Prime9? Same range but only 9 cogs in the back. Certainly not as light as an old 9 speed XTR cassette though.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Face it, you're getting old & are suspicious of change. With a join date in 2004 I'm impressed you can still ride :P
    83 Ritchey Everest
    95 Bianchi Mega Tube ti
    2015 Kona Operator Supreme
    2019 Kona Process 153 CR 29