RaceFace Bars: Next R 35 vs Next 35- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2012

RaceFace Bars: Next R 35 vs Next 35

Got a new bike and it has Next R 35s on them. I like the way the feel but way too wide. I think I'd be happier on 750-760mm, which is the minimum cut line on these.

I noticed that the Next 35 is 760mm, but with the same sweeps. If I cut my Next Rs to 760mm, is it essentially the exact same thing as a Next?

I am more XC oriented. I noticed that Next is marketed as XC and the Next R as All Mountain. But it seems to me that width is the only difference.

I don't want to over think this and worry about swapping bars if I can just cut these down.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    I believe Next (not Next R) is lightest, but looking at the weights it's not by much. If you already have the R's likely not worth the change.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

LCW
    mtbr member
    I have the Next 35. I like 760 and no wider. Iíve cut carbon bars before but preferred to get one that was the right length off the bat. Came in at 184g.

Santa Cruz Tallboy 4

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I think I'm going to be in the same ballpark. But if I cut my R's that I already have to 760, I essentially have the same bar as you, yes?

LCW
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TommyL View Post
    I think I'm going to be in the same ballpark. But if I cut my R's that I already have to 760, I essentially have the same bar as you, yes?
    My guess is not entirely but I canít say for sure. Iíd think the R has a bit thicker layup and a bit stronger.

Santa Cruz Tallboy 4

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Next R's are enduro so they are very strong and stiff, I dont feel like they offer much of the "carbon compliance" benefit youre supposed to get because they are so stiff, and cutting them shorter would make them even stiffer.

The regular Nexts will probably feel better and offer more flex. If Im not doing 6'+ drops then I'd rather have the more compliant handlebar.

LCW
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by idividebyzero View Post
    Next R's are enduro so they are very strong and stiff, I dont feel like they offer much of the "carbon compliance" benefit youre supposed to get because they are so stiff, and cutting them shorter would make them even stiffer.

The regular Nexts will probably feel better and offer more flex. If Im not doing 6'+ drops then I'd rather have the more compliant handlebar.
    Very good point on the compliance. I was a bit leery of the 35mm having an enve M6 31.8 prior but the Next 35 feels just as good (ie not so stiff to cause hand numbness or harshness).

Santa Cruz Tallboy 4