Purposefully weighted handlebars?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Purposefully weighted handlebars?

I saw some mx bike check where the guy had these weights attached to the end of his bars because they were supposed to help with stability. Has anyone heard of this on mountain bikes, it seems like it might be a good idea. Ive noticed when I have shopping bags or something on my bar ends it takes more effort to steer, a similar effect to having longer bars.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Weights in mx and off road moto bars are for vibration....not stability.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by cd162 View Post
    I saw some mx bike check where the guy had these weights attached to the end of his bars because they were supposed to help with stability. Has anyone heard of this on mountain bikes, it seems like it might be a good idea. Ive noticed when I have shopping bags or something on my bar ends it takes more effort to steer, a similar effect to having longer bars.
    If you want steering damping for stability, consider a Hopey steering damper or a Cane Creek Viscoset damping headset.

Quote Originally Posted by the mayor View Post
    Weights in mx and off road moto bars are for vibration....not stability.
    And mt bikes have their own solutions for that. RevGrips, Vibrocore bars, Flexx handlebars, etc. I even have a pair of Bontrager harmonic vibration damping inserts for road bars that I bought years and years ago.

mtbr member
    Weights on the end of road motos are also for engine vibration. They work quite well at reducing the high speed buzz. There's no such buzz on bikes.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Yep, completely different purpose.

Bags on the ends of your bars are affecting your weight transfer and countersteering.
    You are seeing Newton's first law in practice. An object....at rest...stays at rest. When you turn your bars, even slightly, the bags do NOT move. They stay in the relative position. This throws your balance and handling of the bike off. When the bike moves, it eventually flat out pulls the bags over. This tries to pull you over as well. Then, the bags keep moving, which counters the motion you just did, pulling the bars the other way!

That was a very quick and dirty explaination, but that's what's happening.

Weighted bars were intended to dampen the massive vibration that large bore 4 strokes introduced. A 400/426/450/520 cc 4 stroke engine makes a ton of vibration. Since an object at rest tends to stay at rest, and the mass of that object directly affects it's inertia, bars with a heavy weight at the ENDS have much less movement at the ends (which is what vibration is - high frequency low amplitude movement.)

Fasst Flex bars were also designed to help take the edge off bar stiffness translating directly to the wrists of riders.