Prostate friendly saddle?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Prostate friendly saddle?

After finding a significant amount of blood in my urine in May...being diagnosed with a kidney stone, then find out there's no stone...today I find out that what's causing the issue is actually some scar tissue close to the prostrate likely caused by trauma (good chance it's from riding IMO). Doctor says nothing serious at this point as long as I'm able to do the things I need to do without difficulty. But I figure might as well do something to help prevent more damage. So looking for some suggestions for some prostate friendly saddles.
    Super snowflake = when an avatar offends you so much you have to cry about it and report it to admin. Life must suck for you.

mtbr member
    IDK how a saddle could affect the prostate. It's up inside, out of reach of a saddle. If it could, there'd be all sorts of marketing bs on prostate friendly saddles.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Right...but there's still enough soft tissue in that area that can be injured and have effects on the prostate. Anyways...I don't need prostate protection per say...but something that will help with that perineum area. The doctor said the scaring was most likely from trauma of some sort. I'd trust that he probably knows what he's talking about and the only thing I do that causes and type of trauma to the groin area is cycling.
    Super snowflake = when an avatar offends you so much you have to cry about it and report it to admin. Life must suck for you.

Shartacular Spectacular
    Maybe he wants you to think cycling is the only thing you’ve done lately that could have caused damage “way out of reach” as Rager put it. This “doctor” hasn’t put you under recently by chance has he...
    18’ SC Bronson Carbon
    Grip2, Reserve 27's, i9's, Float X2

18' SC V10.6
    Grip2, We Are One: The Outlier, i9's, Avy Woodie

Pro Crastinator
    it's because your seat should be kinda parallel to the ground, not sticking straight up...

Bikesexual
    Maybe try an open saddle? Give the jewels some relief? Selle Italia makes a lot of open models.
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit
    Surly Cross-Check

mtbr member
    I’ve had chronic prostatitis. Cycling may not cause it, but I know from experience certain saddles aggravate the situation. I’ve switched mostly to ISM saddles. Ugly, heavy and expensive. All worth it for me. My favorite one is the PL 1.0

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Blood in urine,I would get a second option asap

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shred79 View Post
    Blood in urine,I would get a second option asap

X-ray, CT scan, bladder scoped, several rounds of blood work and urine samples...not exactly sure what another doctor would do that this one hasn't done already.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    I have a co-worker who was told the blood in his urine was not need for concern after testing.
    A year later they were wrong

Wanna ride bikes?
    SQ Labs has a good design for soft tissue pressure relief. Little or no contact with the front of the saddle and you sit on your sit bones like you should. I use the 611 on my endurance race bike. Measure your sit bones and see if there's a demo program near you. If not they are pretty helpful working with you directly.

https://www.sq-lab.com/en/products/s...ve-active.html
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Good point about where you are on the saddle,getting your bike setup so your on your sit bones is import

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    This is really a discussion you need to have with the doctor, not a bunch of yahoos on the internet. Believe it or not, when a doctor doesn't have first-hand experience in something (saddles?), they'll ask someone who does.

I am still recovering from an infection, and while seated posture certainly affects it, the bicycle saddle doesn't. But then again, I asked my doctor point blank if he thought it would be a problem.

"Hey doc, it hurts when I do this"
    "Well, don't do that."

Up In Smoke
    Of course you need a good saddle, but proper riding shorts go a long way too. Not to be overlooked.

mtbr member
    Here's a thread on the same topic from the geezer forum:

https://forums.mtbr.com/fifty-years-...e-1004915.html
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wschruba View Post
    This is really a discussion you need to have with the doctor, not a bunch of yahoos on the internet. Believe it or not, when a doctor doesn't have first-hand experience in something (saddles?), they'll ask someone who does.

I am still recovering from an infection, and while seated posture certainly affects it, the bicycle saddle doesn't. But then again, I asked my doctor point blank if he thought it would be a problem.

"Hey doc, it hurts when I do this"
    "Well, don't do that."
    Well...my thinking is that possibly some folks with similar issues or something along the lines of what I'm going through do have experience and have found saddles that have worked for them. Then it would give me a list of saddles to explore to see if I can find one that works for me. I know there's lots of them with grooves and channels and cutouts...but doesn't mean they all are created the same.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Train Wreck View Post
    Of course you need a good saddle, but proper riding shorts go a long way too. Not to be overlooked.
    Have that covered. I ride in padded bibs under my shorts.

mtbr member
    Carpe Diem!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    I have had similar issues. The Bontrager Montrose saddle was a very helpful in reducing pressure that was causing (or at least aggravating) my chronic prostate infections. I just replaced that saddle on my new bike with a Fabric Line and like it as well.

Good luck!

mtbr member
    A few years back my doc proactively told me to get a saddle with a grove to give the prostate some relief. He claims his cycling patients tend to have more prostate issues than his non-cycling patients.

I also know a lot of cyclists in their 50s who switched at some point because they started having issues. I thought it was just age but i got the same advice from a medical professional. Getting old sucks but it sure beats the alternative. Seeing that more than half of men in their 50s have prostate issues, it’s not a bad idea to do what you can to improve your chances.

I love my current saddle. However, I will be shopping around. Do what you can to prevent maladies.

mtbr member
    I have a good 100 miles on this SM Pro and I'm sold on it. I have the S/M with 4.5" sit bones.

mtbr member
    Everybody is different when it comes to saddles. There are so many things that can affect on how a saddles feels. There is no real way anyone can tell you that if a saddles that works for them will work for you. I went through so many saddles before I found what works for me. I didn't really find a particular brand...but I found a shape that I like best. Once I found that...as long as it's that shape...regardless of the manufacturer...I can generally get along with it.

Front my own experiences with people that are hard to fit...including my GF...the Selle SMP saddles have a fairly large cutout in the center. The thing with those saddles are, 1 they are expensive, 2 they need to be set up by a person that has some good experience with setting them up.

The other saddle you can try is the Specialized Power saddles. I've got two of them and find when riding in a low position with the pelvis rotated farther forward...they feel like there is less pressure inn the ol taint. Spesh has a pretty good return/exchange policy with their saddles.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    another vote for the power saddle or power arc saddle. there's now alot of copy cats out there from PRO and a couple others as well. Only wish specialized used better glue between the rails and the body.