Propper post - Infinite versus CC- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Propper post - Infinite versus CC

Before, I adjusted my seat height before each ride to either a normal height for XC riding or 1.5" lower for trail riding and I tought a dropper post would allow me to switch height on the fly with the additionnal ability to completely drop the seat in very technical sections. So I bought a a Fall Line R dropper post from 9point8 that I tried today and I'm very disappointed that almost impossible to set it to a mid stroke position while riding the bike. And when I though I had the position right, you found not long after that it's a little to high or too low. :-(

So, I'm now wondering if I should have bought a dropper post with fixed positions (like the Command IRCC from specialized)!?!?!?

Do you set your at different heights or just use it either full extended / compressed?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I have a KS Lev which is infinite adjustment and I use it at various heights.

Sent from my LEX727 using Tapatalk

Elitest thrill junkie
    Not even sure what you are asking. I very rarely use any of my droppers to set "intermediate heights", even though they are capable of doing it. When that is the case, I find my infinite-position droppers work just fine for it. I think this is the experience of most people with droppers, that the infinite drop posts work great.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mbtr member
    Although i prefer 3 position posts, i suspect it's because that's what i'm accustomed to. Like jayem, i almost never use the intermediate height setting... but i like knowing exactly how high the post is when i use it. (exclusively for technical climbs)

10 years ago i needed to drop my saddle a lot more than i do now- longer modern bikes are easier to ride at full seat post extension.

To each his own, though. Both styles have their advantages.
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov